F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a 2012 f150 in December of last year. Picked it up with 70,000 miles it currently has 83k on it, completely stock. Last weekend it started ticking and it's definitely wasn't something that was there before. It's not a terrible loud ticking but enough that I'm concerned that it wasn't doing it before. I travel for work so I put on around 800-900 miles since the problem started. No change in noise and runs great. It only does it at idle and seems like more noticeable when warmed up. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
^^^ if it's that ... get ready for a out of body experience with the cost

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was one of my thoughts but I've done a lot of reading on here and nobody ever mentioned a tick with the timing chain, it's always just the rattle at startup which I've never had in the 13,000 miles I've had it. I see a lot of people say it's the injectors ticking but I would think those would have been ticking all along.

·
Registered
660 Posts
mind recording the ticking sound and posting it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Mine has ticked since the day I got it. The high psi fuel pump and injectors are noisy as hell. You really notice it in a drive thru.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I asked for sound or video because I've got a tick ever since I got mine too. Sounds like injectors or plugs

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
That don't sound like a tick... Sounds more like a knock but it's very hard to tell on video.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
To me it almost sounds like an exhaust manifold has warped....that is uncharacteristically loud.
Mine is soo quiet you could hardly hear it in a drive thru.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It definitely sounds a lot louder in the video than it actually is. I'm starting to think it's the timing chain, I'm getting the rattle at startup which I initially thought was the vacuum pump. Anyone know roughly what I will pay to have this fixed priperly?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
2-3K at a dealership.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jesus!! Is that if the truck is out of warranty? I'm not having this problem, but out of curiousity... I'm still under manufacturer warranty with my truck and I bought the extended, would the timing chain fall under the warranty?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Jesus!! Is that if the truck is out of warranty? I'm not having this problem, but out of curiousity... I'm still under manufacturer warranty with my truck and I bought the extended, would the timing chain fall under the warranty?
Yes.

Timing chain should be covered under emissions warranty which covers you to 80k regardless of extended.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Timing chain aren't covered under emissions.

·
Registered
660 Posts
ESP should cover it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts