F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is making some weird noises when I am traveling around 70 mph. I have the stage 2 AFE intake on it. I don’t know what is causing this noise to occur. I have a video but cannot upload it here. I can email it to you if need be.

I was just seeing if anyone else was experiencing this weird turbo surge. I have no clue what to do to fix it, may get it tuned or go back to stock cold air intake. Any thoughts? Thank you

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Upload it to YouTube then link it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
How long since plugs been changed? If more then 20,000 miles...replace. Pull all three sensors and clean. Clean throttle body. KAM reset. Do a Throttle Position Re-learn. Are you showing misfires when you pull codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue. Most notable when converter is locked up going up a hill. Truck is all stock. Have not been able to find the cause.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Waste gate solenoids are known to ****. BOV diaphragms are known to tear. Are you guys bleeding boost when you hear this noise?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is it a surge, or more like a misfire? Classic BOV related issue will be 6th gear, TC locked, and going from a downhill coast to a slight incline where you are rolling into the throttle. The BOVs (bypass valves) will not seal up and you'll lose power and it will often hiccup for some reason (probably a surge). Related will be quacking, farting, groaning, etc especially when driving around town. The root cause is often PCV gasses contaminating parts of the bypass control circuit.

- Check/replace at a minimum the two bypass solenoid valves at the turbos (there is a third for waste-gate control but has not been a problem IME).
- Check bypass valve diaphragms for tears.
- Check bypass valve plastic cover for wear in the bore where the plunger rides. Applying a light coat of white lithium grease seemed to help.
- Check/replace vacuum check valve at intake manifold.
- Clean both MAP sensors.
- Check that the PCV line going to intake just after air cleaner is connected/snug (don't ask me why, but it seemed to cause me a problem when fell off).

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems/14494-turbocharger-bov-moaning-groaning-quacking-confirmed-fix.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
pvtschultz
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing