F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Looking for some direction on purchasing a new RV. Below are my truck specs and also the camper we are looking at. We haven't been able to go and actually look at campers due to dealers being out of what we are looking at. With that said we are relying on what we see posted on RV trader and other sites and have found that the specs for the exact camper ranges from post to post.

Questions:
  1. From my understanding and research on this site i would have no issues pulling an 6k Dry weight / 8k loaded weight RV....Correct?
  2. Will my slightly larger than stock tires make much difference in the 3.55 ratio?
  3. Looking at my sticker in the door my payload is maxed at 1,181lbs so please correct me if i'm wrong but with a hitch weight of 725lbs and my family weight of 500lbs im over payload and that doesn't include gas and a W/D hitch, correct?
  4. From my research im showing that to pull a 31ft trailer i would need a WB of 154. With this calculation (if accurate) i should say at or under 28', correct?
  5. If the consensus is that the Grey Wolf 26DBH is too much for my truck does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for something that has a door from the outside to the bathroom, bunks in the back and an outdoor kitchen. We would also prefer that the main room has something separating it from the rest of the camper (no Murphy beds)
Any assistance on the above questions would be appreciated and also please feel free to add anything for someone new to the RV world. I pull boats that range from 21' to 25' but have't pulled an RV.

Truck Specs:
Front Leveling Kit
LT275/60R20 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Load Range D
Door Sticker Attached.

Looking at a Grey Wolf 26DBH.
I have conflicting info when it comes to the actual weight/length/payload.
I have seen it listed as a 29" and also a 32" and have seen the hitch weight at 570 to 725 and the dry weight at 4947lb to 5795lb.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Google Camping World Tow Guide....that will help.
Screenshot_20200526-183849_Google.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Based on the puny payload of your truck, the Grey Wolf 26DBH is not a good match for your truck. The 725 lb. tongue weight will go up substantially once you add LP gas, battery, and supplies. Then add a WDH, your family, and anything else you carry in the truck...So yes, you will be way over on payload.

Does your truck have a tow package? If so, which one?

From the Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH website:
Specifications
Hitch Weight:
725 lb.
GVWR:
7725 lb.
UVW
5795 lb.
CCC
1930 lb.
Exterior Length:
31' 7"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No tow package that i know of. Would it even matter with my small payload?

When i bought the truck in 2012 i wasn't thinking about towing. Obviously I wish i would have now.

Curious why the payload is so low with my truck?

With that being said, any suggestions on campers that will work? I don't like the ones where the beds pop out if its an option not to have one of those!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
No tow package that i know of. Would it even matter with my small payload?

When i bought the truck in 2012 i wasn't thinking about towing. Obviously I wish i would have now.

Curious why the payload is so low with my truck?

With that being said, any suggestions on campers that will work? I don't like the ones where the beds pop out if its an option not to have one of those!
The only reason I can imagine that Payload being that low is that when that truck got to the end of the assembly line, it had every possible luxury option included?

I mean, it's still a truck, but with 4 adults aboard and a full tank of gas, you'd have about 3-400 lbs of capacity left for the bed of the truck.

Although one could argue that 1000lbs cc = exactly a ½ton?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I can imagine that Payload being that low is that when that truck got to the end of the assembly line, it had every possible luxury option included?

I mean, it's still a truck, but with 4 adults aboard and a full tank of gas, you'd have about 3-400 lbs of capacity left for the bed of the truck.

Although one could argue that 1000lbs cc = exactly a ½ton?

It is a Lariat with all the extra options added.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
It is a Lariat with ALL the extra options added.
I edited it for emphasis. :)

I'm guessing it's a really nice truck, regardless.

I don't know if they still make it, but I pull a little Wolf Pup 17RP when I'm wanting to camp light, take a toy or two, AND fly at 75mph. It's one of 4 RV's I currently have to choose from. Your truck would handle it just fine.

3000 lbs dry
Cargo Capacity 2500lbs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Guess its back to the shopping for an RV because a new truck and an RV is not in the cards.

Have a family of 5 so it looks like anything we can tow will be a bit snug for our family.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Mo, I remember back in 2004 when I bought my Nissan Titan....it did not come with any factory tow package or integrated trailer brake controller-had to add one>and it came with a 3:15 diff.
Soooo....I made it become a tow vehicle-lol
1. E rated truck tires
2. Dual Electric Fans
3. Transmission/Fan Cooler
4. JBA Headers / 3" Custom Exhaust
5. Jet Perf Chip
6. Volante Ram Air Intake
7. Firestone Airbags
8. Rancho Adjustable shocks.
I kept that truck for 10yrs and towed a loaded 8k 33' Keystone Springdale-no issues. I had (have) a decent WDH w/ sway control.
My point is...that you can make your truck work (throw lots of cash at it like I do-lol) if you so choose to.
Now obviously you don't want to go too big a trailer, but I'm sure you can find something other than a pop up!
The F150 EcoBoost is the best 1/2 truck-period.
Screenshot_20200527-103429_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
That little toy hauler above can be a bunk house if you want it to be. Lol

I've slept 2 adults and 4 grandkids in it. You can convert the cargo /garage area into anything you want it to be. :)

Coffee Bar, office on-the-road, or indoor porch in foul weather?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Im not one to normal say this, but i really think that your payload sticker is not giving your truck the credit it deserves in this case. Its got the 4050 lb RAWR which is the same as the max tow trucks and therefore it has the springs to go along with it.

Im not saying to go out and buy a 9000 lb trailer, but your truck should be able to handle something reasonable without issue.

Just understand that if you do overload you truck and something does happen on the road, you may be held responsible.

Reactions: SloDon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am for sure not looking for a 9k pull behind. The absolute top end would be 7,800 loaded weight but would prefer no more than 7k. I would also have no issues having some type of add a leaf or air suspension for increased stability.

I talked to a local ford dealer (shop manager not a sales guy) and was told that my main concern needs to be the truck GCVWR (15,500) not the hitch weight. I guess i need to get my truck on a scale and figure out my true weight of my truck so i can accurately calculate everything.

I wish i wasn't the research type and was fine with just going and buying a pull behind and figuring it out later :).

Here is where im currently at if i were to find an RV with the below specs:

RV unloaded weight 4,748
RV GVWR 7000
hitch Weight 575

Truck Info
Estimated Curb Weight: 5,615
GVWR: 7,200
GVWRL 15,500
payload 1,181.00
towing capacity 9,600

passengers weight: 500
cargo 100

Available payload hitched and loaded 6lb
hitched GVW 6,790.00
Hitched GCVW 13,215

Only issue with the above is this wouldn't give my family much room to grow with the set up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All,

Looking for some direction on purchasing a new RV. Below are my truck specs and also the camper we are looking at. We haven't been able to go and actually look at campers due to dealers being out of what we are looking at. With that said we are relying on what we see posted on RV trader and other sites and have found that the specs for the exact camper ranges from post to post.

Questions:
  1. From my understanding and research on this site i would have no issues pulling an 6k Dry weight / 8k loaded weight RV....Correct?
  2. Will my slightly larger than stock tires make much difference in the 3.55 ratio?
  3. Looking at my sticker in the door my payload is maxed at 1,181lbs so please correct me if i'm wrong but with a hitch weight of 725lbs and my family weight of 500lbs im over payload and that doesn't include gas and a W/D hitch, correct?
  4. From my research im showing that to pull a 31ft trailer i would need a WB of 154. With this calculation (if accurate) i should say at or under 28', correct?
  5. If the consensus is that the Grey Wolf 26DBH is too much for my truck does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for something that has a door from the outside to the bathroom, bunks in the back and an outdoor kitchen. We would also prefer that the main room has something separating it from the rest of the camper (no Murphy beds)
Any assistance on the above questions would be appreciated and also please feel free to add anything for someone new to the RV world. I pull boats that range from 21' to 25' but have't pulled an RV.

Truck Specs:
Front Leveling Kit
LT275/60R20 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Load Range D
Door Sticker Attached.

Looking at a Grey Wolf 26DBH.
I have conflicting info when it comes to the actual weight/length/payload.
I have seen it listed as a 29" and also a 32" and have seen the hitch weight at 570 to 725 and the dry weight at 4947lb to 5795lb.
I have a 2014 Eco. with the max tow package. I looked at rv's for about 9 months before buying. I figured out the best for me was to keep my rv below 5500 lbs. Mine is 5400, a lightweight series. It's 29'. Kids are grown so I don't have the bunkhouse. The couch and dinette folds down for beds for the grandkids. I also added air bags and have a good WDH, pulls great

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your truck does not have a tow package, Ford's official position is that your tow capacity is 5000lb. and max frontal area of 36 sq. ft.

I know what I would do, but what you do is up to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your truck does not have a tow package, Ford's official position is that your tow capacity is 5000lb. and max frontal area of 36 sq. ft.

I know what I would do, but what you do is up to you.
I'm a bit lost on this as when i look online at my truck i get a GCWR of 15,500 and a 9,600 tow capacity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe he is meaning if the truck doesn’t have a tow package ford says don’t pull more that 5k. If you had a hitch installed, transmission cooler added, trailer brake controller installed you could be at the 9,6k mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ontal area of 36 sq. ft.
I believe he is meaning if the truck doesn’t have a tow package ford says don’t pull more that 5k. If you had a hitch installed, transmission cooler added, trailer brake controller installed you could be at the 9,6k mark
Ok that makes more sense. I guess maybe I should ask how I determine if a tow package is on my truck. It has trailer brakes, had a factory hitch and I have no idea about transmission cooler. Maybe it had tow package but not max tow?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
673 Posts
I have a 2014 Eco. with the max tow package. I looked at rv's for about 9 months before buying. I figured out the best for me was to keep my rv below 5500 lbs. Mine is 5400, a lightweight series. It's 29'. Kids are grown so I don't have the bunkhouse. The couch and dinette folds down for beds for the grandkids. I also added air bags and have a good WDH, pulls great
29' and the dry weight is 5400 ? Hard to believe the GVWR of a 29' camper is 5400.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm a bit lost on this as when i look online at my truck i get a GCWR of 15,500 and a 9,600 tow capacity.
View attachment 166795
Those numbers are for a truck that Ford calls "properly equipped". By "properly equipped", they mean a trailer tow package. Ford doesn't make this very clear...ya gotta research all the data available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts