F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 2012 SCREW 4x4 max tow. It only have 35k miles and is in really good shape. Now I’m usually not one to get anything that is first run 1-2 years. Now I know the Ecoboost came out in 2011, is there a reason to not get a 2012?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would read through this forum a bit. There are some pretty common issues with the first gen. Expect to replace timing chain in about 30 thousand miles. With that said most I have talked to love them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What are you looking to do with it?
What vehicle are you currently driving?
I don't mean to pry, how much are they asking?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a suburban, doesn’t tow enough with a trailer(camper) we are looking at getting. I will daily drive the truck 30 miles one way so gas mileage of 18 will be about the same. Asking 25k, most I have seen for 25k are 12-14’s with close to 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That's high in my market. I paid 26k for mine 3 years ago with 60k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Try widening your search. Even if you have to fly and drive it home. Check out this deal on a 2018 https://www.carmax.com/car/18016514

what are you looking for specifically?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try widening your search. Even if you have to fly and drive it home. Check out this deal on a 2018 https://www.carmax.com/car/18016514

what are you looking for specifically?
Looking for a max tow Ecoboost. I can find v8s all day but the Ecoboost seems to add thousands more. The listing you showed is a N/A V6 not an Ecoboost. Are y’all saying stay away from a 12?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think what you'll find is there is a wave of people with vehicles 3-5 years old who are coming up on warranty. Many people dump them on a trade-in and get a new vehicle. Or you get a bunch of leases that come due. So there will be a glut of certain years looking back <5 years old. I would say anything more than 5-7 years old and people have driven them well past warranty and either dumped money into them as enthusiasts, or repaired any issues with them. So there's probably less of them on the market. In addition the depreciation rate "flattens out" so to speak" and they lose less and less each year.

The ecoboost is still benefiting from the Ford marketing machine that it should carry a premium over the V8. It's a beast of a motor and can tow more, that is true. Yet I personally feel it comes at a cost of increased maintenance and doesn't really outperform the V8s on MPG. The last few years Ford seems to have increased MPG and given the ecos more edge over the V8s, and it's an even wider margin on the smaller sized ecos but towing capacity is reduced. Is it fun to drive? certainly. Do I enjoy changing plugs frequently? Not really. I have better things to do with my time and money.

So it really depends what you're after and the reasons for buying the truck in the first place. It's not as simple as saying the 12s are bad and the 13s are good. All years have their issues and so do all manufacturers. I would call it an enthusiast thing and it's really not for everyone. If you're not into that, or always take your car to a dealer under warranty, well then there are more options out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what you'll find is there is a wave of people with vehicles 3-5 years old who are coming up on warranty. Many people dump them on a trade-in and get a new vehicle. Or you get a bunch of leases that come due. So there will be a glut of certain years looking back <5 years old. I would say anything more than 5-7 years old and people have driven them well past warranty and either dumped money into them as enthusiasts, or repaired any issues with them. So there's probably less of them on the market. In addition the depreciation rate "flattens out" so to speak" and they lose less and less each year.

The ecoboost is still benefiting from the Ford marketing machine that it should carry a premium over the V8. It's a beast of a motor and can tow more, that is true. Yet I personally feel it comes at a cost of increased maintenance and doesn't really outperform the V8s on MPG. The last few years Ford seems to have increased MPG and given the ecos more edge over the V8s, and it's an even wider margin on the smaller sized ecos but towing capacity is reduced. Is it fun to drive? certainly. Do I enjoy changing plugs frequently? Not really. I have better things to do with my time and money.

So it really depends what you're after and the reasons for buying the truck in the first place. It's not as simple as saying the 12s are bad and the 13s are good. All years have their issues and so do all manufacturers. I would call it an enthusiast thing and it's really not for everyone. If you're not into that, or always take your car to a dealer under warranty, well then there are more options out there.
Thanks for the response, yeah I know each year has certain issues. I just usually don’t get 1-2 year production on any vehicle to much customer r&d still to be done. Changing plugs is fine and easy, timing chains and turbos and transmission rebuilds is not something I would enjoy doing regularly. I’m a advanced level ASE master tech and a lot of other titles. It just with the car line I come from there are certain years you avoid and certain engines you know are going to require high dollar repairs. Didn’t know if it was this way with Ecoboost motors. I did go look at it. Truck spent 6 years in Michigan, let’s just say the frame and body mount hardware is rough, and the hitch needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Considering that the Ecoboost, from the very beginning, came with Twin Turbo, Variable Valve Timing, and Direct Injection, along with what the industry has often claimed as a VERY sophisticated software system, they have been remarkably Stout over the early haul.

In fact, if you were to take the sole weakness of the cam-chain and its components off the table, you'd be left with almost nothing to sully the reputation. (but you can't, so I was only making the point)

Other than the small percentage of Gen1 motors that would bust a piston skirt and/or throw a rod, even catastrophic failures are few and far between. Quite remarkable considering how bold it was to spring this drive train on the TRUCK world, of all places.

Obviously if your focus is on the forums, you have to continually remind yourself of the purpose and natural result of what is going to get discussed. But in my opinion the 3.5 Ecoboost has such a unique offering of torque and performance compared to anything that is offered by the competition. If you just go in with eyes wide open to the potential of a $3000 cam chain repair at some point during long-term ownership, you'll likely LOVE experiencing how this motor moves this truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had a suburban, doesn’t tow enough with a trailer(camper) we are looking at getting. I will daily drive the truck 30 miles one way so gas mileage of 18 will be about the same. Asking 25k, most I have seen for 25k are 12-14’s with close to 100k miles.
I can say with certainty, you will not go back to a GM 5.3 after an Ecoboost. I've towed the same trailer with a 2018 suburban and my 2013 f150 and there is no way I'd want to tow anything with a Burban long term. The Ecoboost just tows and at a low rpm.
Mine has 331 gears and does just fine. I've never wanted deeper gears. I've heard some people claim poor mpg, I can easily get mid 20s on the highway, city 15-16, towing anything is 13>, but you won't know it's back there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I do take forums with a grain of salt about complaints it’s usually guys who have problems ranting in forums. Then there are the normal level headed guys that give advise and take advise from others. I guess I should just plan to get whatever and make sure to have the funds for the timing chain repair if I get a early truck.
I ran across a 2012 SCREW 6.5’ bed today 47k miles. Waiting for it to go through reconditioning, to test drive

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Thanks for the response, yeah I know each year has certain issues. I just usually don’t get 1-2 year production on any vehicle to much customer r&d still to be done. Changing plugs is fine and easy, timing chains and turbos and transmission rebuilds is not something I would enjoy doing regularly. I’m a advanced level ASE master tech and a lot of other titles. It just with the car line I come from there are certain years you avoid and certain engines you know are going to require high dollar repairs. Didn’t know if it was this way with Ecoboost motors. I did go look at it. Truck spent 6 years in Michigan, let’s just say the frame and body mount hardware is rough, and the hitch needs to be replaced.
Considering I only paid 29k Canadian+ tax/finance back in 2013 for my 2011... That's quite high for a 7-8 yr old truck.

Mine had the same mileage when I bought it 38,000k km. By 75,000k km it needed the timing phaser procedure done.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Thanks, I do take forums with a grain of salt about complaints it’s usually guys who have problems ranting in forums. Then there are the normal level headed guys that give advise and take advise from others. I guess I should just plan to get whatever and make sure to have the funds for the timing chain repair if I get a early truck.
I ran across a 2012 SCREW 6.5’ bed today 47k miles. Waiting for it to go through reconditioning, to test drive

View attachment 164745
My question is why is the bottom painted or lined black? Was it done to hide rust or was it done from brand new. And those flares look pretty dumb with stock tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The flares do look dumb. The lined bottom is big around here. I could not find any evidence or rust, usually done to hide all the rock chips. This one is a lot cheaper. I think that most don’t realize how much truck prices have gone up in recent years also trucks hold value extremely well here lots of 100-170k moles and they are asking $18-20k it’s crazy. And as I broaden my search it might save me 1k dollars then I have to factor in flight prices and gas to get back not to mention lost time at work. Paying over $10k for a truck with over 100k just is the normal here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
To clarify... Not all 3.5 Ecoboost have timing chain issues. Is it know and one of the common major issues...yes. One of the members here has one with almost 400k and no timing chains or catch can.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
To clarify... Not all 3.5 Ecoboost have timing chain issues. Is it know and one of the common major issues...yes. One of the members here has one with almost 400k and no timing chains or catch can.
Yes but he drives it hard as a work truck. 75% of us drive em like grannies and never put our foot down lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got a build sheet, 3.73 locking, max tow, 7700gvwr remote start. Sounds like a great start for towing.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Just got a build sheet, 3.73 locking, max tow, 7700gvwr remote start. Sounds like a great start for towing.
Just to note, I’m not sure if you’re in Canada or not, but that is a Canadian truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also be mindful of payload capacity if you plan on putting toys in the back when you tow.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts