F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks guys for all the reply’s. The dealership with the 12 was firm on the price and wouldn’t budge. But I found a 14 same specs as the 12 but 64k miles for under 20k pick it up tomorrow. Needs tires and windscreen to be good to go. I also have factored in timing chain funds.
Great buy welcome to the club!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would read through this forum a bit. There are some pretty common issues with the first gen. Expect to replace timing chain in about 30 thousand miles. With that said most I have talked to love them.
whoa. I've got 125k on mine and not replaced the timing chain! Am i asking for trouble??

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks guys for all the reply’s. The dealership with the 12 was firm on the price and wouldn’t budge. But I found a 14 same specs as the 12 but 64k miles for under 20k pick it up tomorrow. Needs tires and windscreen to be good to go. I also have factored in timing chain funds.
I think this was a smart move. My fear with the higher mileage trucks in this era is that a lot of people drove them for a long time with slappity chain and phasers. At least if you hear it on your truck in the 60-80K range, you will have caught it sooner than later before it does more damage. Then there's the chance you'll never hear it too. Either case you at least know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks is guys for all the positives, I really feel good about this one. Got it with good mileage and cheap enough I still have money for tires and a windscreen, and timing chain parts (plan on doing it myself, ASE and JLR expert technician). He is a pic from us picking up our travel trailer to bring back home.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm not a mechanic. Maybe you got lucky. It's pretty obvious sound when u start it if it's an issue. Mine started making the "rattle" right at 65000 miles like most have stated.
Yes but just because you have had the noise doesn't mean it's technically bad.

Unless you're getting fault timing codes P0016 etc. Just keep driving. There are guys on f150forum that have put another 100k miles on their trucks after hearing it and never ran into any timing issues.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes but just because you have had the noise doesn't mean it's technically bad.

Unless you're getting fault timing codes P0016 etc. Just keep driving. There are guys on f150forum that have put another 100k miles on their trucks after hearing it and never ran into any timing issues.
Like I said I'm not a mechanic. But I had the noise. Took it to Ford and had a stretched timing chain which had to be replaced. ?‍♂

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just a comparison, we have VVT units in Jags and Rovers. They make the same noise but don’t “stretch the chain” some guys hate it and want it replaced other live with it (out of warranty). The noise isn’t the problem with the chain but the “phaser” as ford calls them hammering and not allowing the oil to dampen the hammer on the chain. All I know is if I hear it daily I’ll fix it cause that’s the way I am.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts