F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I think Alberta 94 is better than BC 94. I rate BC 94 about 91.1. From chats with @Blown F-150 he found Alberta 94 a bit better than ours, especially if that 94 used some ethanol (all our premium in BC is supposed to be ethanol free). Maybe Alberta 94 = 91.9?

Reactions: Mikey_Ltd

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I think Alberta 94 is better than BC 94. I rate BC 94 about 91.1. From chats with @Blown F-150 he found Alberta 94 a bit better than ours, especially if that 94 used some ethanol (all our premium in BC is supposed to be ethanol free). Maybe Alberta 94 = 91.9?
With the exact same set up, I would only see 9* Advanced timing on BC Chevron brand 94 and I would see 12-13* Advanced timing with AB Petro 94. Husky 94 was around the same as Petro here in AB, but not consistent.

Big difference IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been using husky here which can contain up to 10%. Our chevron tested at 0% ethanol as advertised but without a octane tester the rating is unknown. Might try petro here which has about 6% ethanol in it.
Wondering if i shoukd grab chevron fuel to mix with my ethanol to blend if the octane is better before adding ethanol
Its looking like next week i will be able to start my e30 tuning. My buddy is gonna drop 40litres of e85 off. Truck feels great so far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I thought that Petro Canada had two 94s. One with and the other without ethanol?

For purpose of the calculation, I prefer to do my E85 mixing with premium containing no ethanol. Makes the calculation easier, and you can add more E85 which will have a higher octane, based on the concentration of ethanol. And in BC, most 91 has no ethanol in it. I suspect this is for political reasons. 10-15 years ago, we had a lot of other choices, including 92 and 94 at more than one brand. I believe that when Mohawk was still operating (before Husky bought them out), Mohawk had 94 with 20% ethanol.

In BC, a lot of turbo vehicle owners prefer Shell 91 over Chevron 94. They feel the Shell performed better, in spite of it's lower octane reading.

Reactions: Mikey_Ltd

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I thought that Petro Canada had two 94s. One with and the other without ethanol?

For purpose of the calculation, I prefer to do my E85 mixing with premium containing no ethanol. Makes the calculation easier, and you can add more E85 which will have a higher octane, based on the concentration of ethanol. And in BC, most 91 has no ethanol in it. I suspect this is for political reasons. 10-15 years ago, we had a lot of other choices, including 92 and 94 at more than one brand. I believe that when Mohawk was still operating (before Husky bought them out), Mohawk had 94 with 20% ethanol.

In BC, a lot of turbo vehicle owners prefer Shell 91 over Chevron 94. They feel the Shell performed better, in spite of it's lower octane reading.
Where I am, there is only 94 with ethanol. As you know, I have a e% gauge in the truck and monitor it pretty closely. The station I get my 94 from, is very consistent at 6% in the summer for ethanol. Having the gauge makes it extremely easy to mix the e30 that I usually run. I know exactly what's in my tank BEFORE and after I fuel up.

I would have to dig into my notes, but the Husky station that I tried a few tank fulls of had a big range in ethanol content.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
184 Posts
Where I am, there is only 94 with ethanol. As you know, I have a e% gauge in the truck and monitor it pretty closely. The station I get my 94 from, is very consistent at 6% in the summer for ethanol. Having the gauge makes it extremely easy to mix the e30 that I usually run. I know exactly what's in my tank BEFORE and after I fuel up.

I would have to dig into my notes, but the Husky station that I tried a few tank fulls of had a big range in ethanol content.
We recently got a chevron just off mcknight, they have 94 with 0% ethanol. Ive always found my truck ran best on Chevron but Matt suggested a little while back that the Petro 94 with a little bit of ethanol was a better choice. I think If I do end up doing some ethanol blends because I dont have the gauge like you I would probably start with chevron 94 just because we know its 0% and I will likely get a more accurate blend I would assume!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put e30 in the tank and loaded a tune from a couple revisions ago that was adjusted for e30 and the rail pressure dropped. On 93/94 its really solid but it wasn’t on e30. We could dial back the boost to overcome that but im not sure if I would have the same amount of power.
Took the truck to the track this past friday
-Da was 32-3400
-humidity was 60%
-elevation 2300’ roughly
I ran the truck back to back it was very consistent in the 13.0’s with low 1.7xx 60’s. Couple more tweaks and some better weather it will be in the 12’s for sure. Probably could of done it friday night if i stayed at the track a bit longer or launched with a bit more rpm. Got a bit frustrated later on and kept forgetting to take it out of manual mode so it was time to call it quits for the night

So to go to ethanol I’ll require a hpfp and lpfp is already good to go

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I put e30 in the tank and loaded a tune from a couple revisions ago that was adjusted for e30 and the rail pressure dropped. On 93/94 its really solid but it wasn’t on e30. We could dial back the boost to overcome that but im not sure if I would have the same amount of power.
-Da was 32-3400
-humidity was 60%
-elevation 2300’ roughly
I ran the truck back to back it was very consistent in the 13.0’s with low 1.7xx 60’s. Couple more tweaks and some better weather it will be in the 12’s for sure. Probably could of done it friday night if i stayed at the track a bit longer or launched with a bit more rpm. Got a bit frustrated later on and kept forgetting to take it out of manual mode so it was time to call it quits for the night

Sucks that you need the HPFP, but in the end it will be safer after you do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sucks that you need the HPFP, but in the end it will be safer after you do it.

I agree. Im probably just gonna suck it up and grab the xdi60. It was in the back of my head the whole time during the mods this year. Especially after you mentioned it. Then as we were tuning i was like i dont think im gonna get far on e30. I mean really i cant complain about where it got with the lpfp and its working great.

I still have the nitrous kit in the garage so i can either use that or sell it to fund some of a hpfp. My mind is jumping back and forth because there is only 2 more fridays and the nitrous kit is right at my fingertips but i dont wanna be “that guy” haha

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
-Da was 32-3400
-humidity was 60%
-elevation 2300’ roughly

The more research and the more I understand these motors. I keep leaning towards wanting to find a way to run dual hpfp, or build a port fuel system for it. At the end of the day we are limited bt the stock fuel system.
And with the xdi60 being what, $2500 bucks or so I think you could do either one of those within that price range. I think it would just come down to finding a tuner who is familiar with going this route and can make it work.

I have read articles on this approx, and since ford them selfs went this route with the gen2s kinda supports the theory of the fuel system being a bit of a lame duck.

Have a winter to look into it and figure what approach to take.

By the way Mikey, seriously awesome runs. That is quick for such a big truck. You'll get your 12. I know ya will. Was that on the e30 tune or 93?

So after all this extra work and revisions, i went back to my base 93 tune, and using 93 blended to e15-20
Right now working to see which one works better.
But it feels faster and stronger then the e30 tune.

Killer work Mikey , keep up the good work and the shares that you have been giving to the community.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
The more research and the more I understand these motors. I keep leaning towards wanting to find a way to run dual hpfp, or build a port fuel system for it. At the end of the day we are limited bt the stock fuel system.
And with the xdi60 being what, $2500 bucks or so I think you could do either one of those within that price range. I think it would just come down to finding a tuner who is familiar with going this route and can make it work.

I have read articles on this approx, and since ford them selfs went this route with the gen2s kinda supports the theory of the fuel system being a bit of a lame duck.

By the way Mikey, seriously awesome runs. That is quick for such a big truck. You'll get your 12. I know ya will. Was that on the e30 tune or 93?

So after all this extra work and revisions, i went back to my base 93 tune, and using 93 blended to e15-20

Killer work Mikey , keep up the good work and the shares that you have been giving to the community.
Just my opinion, but one thing you will miss out on if you try to get dual OEM HPFP's to work, is pressure. I'm seeing a huge benefit on timing and being able to push the stock injectors farther with the XDI pump. I'm basically spraying at a 1000 more PSI than the stock HPFP could ever dream of.

I'm on e30 (current tank is 35% according to my gauge). At 21psi, I'm seeing 18.5, ramping up to 20.5* of timing on a locked 3rd gear pull. My fuel rail Pressure starts around 2000psi and tops at 3300psi.

·
Registered
72 Posts

That was on 93. Im wondering if I could do a e15 or e10 but its to late in the season now and I wanna hit the track the next two fridays so I really cant risk being stuck with a tank of fuel that i cant use. I currently need to burn off this half tank or at least a 1/4 tank so i can get some 94 back in and go back to the 94 tune otherwise ill be a pit crew/ camera man this friday for @Blown F-150 ; and @looqw ; haha

I think im gonna try to get my 12 on 93 and then revisit ethanol next year. I can say though torrie has got the truck pushing some really good power and im really happy that it can stay within the same 10’th hot lapping it.

Ill dyno the truck not this weekend but next and see where it sits power wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd

What was your target Lambda for WOT conditions with the E30 tune? Also what voltage are you getting as boost starts to come on strong? Cranking that up to 14.4V if you upgraded the LPFP wiring might get you somewhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd

What was your target Lambda for WOT conditions with the E30 tune? Also what voltage are you getting as boost starts to come on strong? Cranking that up to 14.4V if you upgraded the LPFP wiring might get you somewhere.
Im not sure. I was getting 0.79-0.84 and rail pressure hit 16-1800 if I remember correctly
I have a lpfp that out flows the factory by double can we select voltage?

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
184 Posts
-Da was 32-3400
-humidity was 60%
-elevation 2300’ roughly

Had a feeling you would need it to, like I was saying to you mine was also great on 94 maybe had a little dip but it had no chance keeping up with e30 before the pump! Guess there’s an upgrade for next season!

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
184 Posts
That was on 93. Im wondering if I could do a e15 or e10 but its to late in the season now and I wanna hit the track the next two fridays so I really cant risk being stuck with a tank of fuel that i cant use. I currently need to burn off this half tank or at least a 1/4 tank so i can get some 94 back in and go back to the 94 tune otherwise ill be a pit crew/ camera man this friday for @Blown F-150 ; and @looqw ; haha

I think im gonna try to get my 12 on 93 and then revisit ethanol next year. I can say though torrie has got the truck pushing some really good power and im really happy that it can stay within the same 10’th hot lapping it.

Ill dyno the truck not this weekend but next and see where it sits power wise.

we can syphon your tank into mine haha perfect! I’m sure once you mix some more 94 you’ll be good to go!

181 - 200 of 206 Posts