F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I just had a quick look. I'm monitoring two DMR's. One is Fuel Rail Pressure Actual and the other is Fuel Rail Pressure Desired. I'm not sure what the parameters are around the DMR Mikey is monitoring. It doesn't follow the same fluctuation I'm seeing though wit my "Actual" DMR.
Exactly what I am now showing on my older CONFIGs. My new CONFIG uses different PIDS but, as I mentioned they are "scaled" differently.

When my ACTUAL line touches the Commanded, they have different values from each other. My Actual shows a value close to 2700psi (on an initial spike) vs only 2400 PSI. Then when my Actual is around 2400 psi, it is displayed LESS than the Commanded Line. I initially thought I still had a fueling problem, until I notice the "scales" between the two don't match up and Livelink is displaying the Commanded Line higher than the Actual line when the both have the same value.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Ill add this one. I really need to figure out how to add it to a log file so I don’t have to keep making new log files each time i want to add something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call me and I'll step you through it. Took me a while to figure it out after the last SCT update.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd it isn't that hard - provided you have the original OEM Strategy and not that inferior Recall Strategy that screws everything up.

Don't EVER let anyone install that Recall Strategy on your truck.

I am the poster child for why you don't want it.

But, the good news, now you will truly be able to compare your Commanded to your Actual, and see if you have a fueling issue like I had.

I sent @Blown F-150 a "before" and "after" (using a datalog when I had my original Strategy vs my New Strategy). I can get the same info, just have to look at different PIDs with the new Strategy.

I am sure Blown will agree I definitely had a fueling issue with my original OEM HPFP (even with a milder tune and pure non-ethanol fuel). Playing with various E85 concentrations just aggravated the situation more. It could be my OEM HPFP was weak, my engine was demanding too much fuel for the OEM to keep up, or a little of both.

I lean to "a little of both". But I will say I am greatly relieved that I now installed the XDI-35 and that I won't have to worry about fuel starvation based on my current power levels.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd it isn't that hard - provided you have the original OEM Strategy and not that inferior Recall Strategy that screws everything up.

But, the good news, now you will truly be able to compare your Commanded to your Actual, and see if you have a fueling issue like I had.

I sent @Blown F-150 a "before" and "after" (using a datalog when I had my original Strategy vs my New Strategy). I can get the same info, just have to look at different PIDs with the new Strategy.

I am sure Blown will agree I definitely had a fueling issue with my original OEM HPFP (even with a milder tune and pure non-ethanol fuel). Playing with various E85 concentrations just aggravated the situation more. It could be my OEM HPFP was weak, my engine was demanding too much fuel for the OEM to keep up, or a little of both.

I lean to "a little of both". But I will say I am greatly relieved that I now installed the XDI-35 and that I won't have to worry about fuel starvation based on my current power levels.
What recall strategy are you referring to,? When you go in for the brake recall ? My question is wasn’t that for the brake booster or something,? As I don’t have any of the stock brake system left other than the ABS system..I removed the brake booster the master cylinder the rubber lines rotors hubs stock Brake calipers,and replaced it all with wilwood parts..I’ve got two piece 16inch rotors and 6 piston calipers..wilwood master,booster steel lines ,aftermarket hubs.so I didn’t see any point in having the update done,? ..was I wrong!? Pls Sct just crashed my Tunner..so I’m pretty sure I’ve lost my stock tune..

·
Registered
212 Posts

@Blown F-150 ; sent me a log file im gonna load. Also sent me a how to for adding stuff to a already existing log file which is greatly appreciated. I couldn’t find the same dmr he uses but we have the same strategy. Im gonna get it loaded onto my device tomorrow and do a log. Im a different tune then i I usually use but ill log it to see.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
What recall strategy are you referring to,? When you go in for the brake recall ? My question is wasn’t that for the brake booster or something,? As I don’t have any of the stock brake system left other than the ABS system..I removed the brake booster the master cylinder the rubber lines rotors hubs stock Brake calipers,and replaced it all with wilwood parts..I’ve got two piece 16inch rotors and 6 piston calipers..wilwood master,booster steel lines ,aftermarket hubs.so I didn’t see any point in having the update done,? ..was I wrong!? Pls Sct just crashed my Tunner..so I’m pretty sure I’ve lost my stock tune..
2011-2013s Brake Recall got a PCM reflash for a "programming error fix". However, if you get reflashed, any prior tunes or configs will not work. And currently, the only way to get a CONFIG is to build it by connecting to the PCM and creating one. But, unlike previous strategies/configs, this config is unmodifiable. If you want to change something, you must recreate.

Where as with previous strategy, you could go in and modify the config with any legitimate PID/DMR that existed for the Strategy.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
@Blown F-150 ; sent me a log file im gonna load. Also sent me a how to for adding stuff to a already existing log file which is greatly appreciated. I couldn’t find the same dmr he uses but we have the same strategy. Im gonna get it loaded onto my device tomorrow and do a log. Im a different tune then i I usually use but ill log it to see.

Be greatful you have your old strategy, you can do virtually anything to those older CONFIGs for merging, adding & deleting PIDs & DMRs.

If you get the Recall Strategy, you will be scr*wed like me for modifying your config. That recall strategy got rammed down my throat my the dealer I had my truck in for an unrelated fix (stereo controls in my steering wheel). This is inspite of a directive requesting they contact me before installing any updates to my truck's PCM.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ordered a xdi35 hpfp today. On my truck we had about another 20-30 hp over the 509 i made with just a lpfp. We figure it currently sits around 530whp

We will see where the truck goes with a hpfp. Im excited to see what else is possible with some more more fuelling

Off what i see a properly setup lpfp system gets us pretty far when the factory hpfp has more supply then it will ever need.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Ordered a xdi35 hpfp today. On my truck we had about another 20-30 hp over the 509 i made with just a lpfp. We figure it currently sits around 530whp

We will see where the truck goes with a hpfp. Im excited to see what else is possible with some more more fuelling

Off what i see a properly setup lpfp system gets us pretty far when the factory hpfp has more supply then it will ever need.

Good luck. If you are planning on running PURE E85, you MIGHT consider getting a XDI-60. Right now, I am not at the same power level as yourself, so my XDI-35 works fine.

PS: Torrie has good experience with tuning for the XDI-35. @Blown F-150 had mention that you CAN run the bare stock tune with the XDI-35. I know someone who tried it, and he did have initial problems getting the engine started. I never asked him IF he was only talking about the initial start up (when all the rails are empty with fuel).

I did find a couple of funny "issues" when decelerating down a hill in a lower gear. But the tune adjusted for it after driving a couple of days. Now it doesn't occur unless I re-tune again...and again it adjusted for it after a couple of days driving and decelerating down a hill.

Reactions: Mikey_Ltd

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good luck. If you are planning on running PURE E85, you MIGHT consider getting a XDI-60. Right now, I am not at the same power level as yourself, so my XDI-35 works fine.

PS: Torrie has good experience with tuning for the XDI-35. @Blown F-150 had mention that you CAN run the bare stock tune with the XDI-35. I know someone who tried it, and he did have initial problems getting the engine started. I never asked him IF he was only talking about the initial start up (when all the rails are empty with fuel).

I did find a couple of funny "issues" when decelerating down a hill in a lower gear. But the tune adjusted for it after driving a couple of days. Now it doesn't occur unless I re-tune again...and again it adjusted for it after a couple of days driving and decelerating down a hill.
I wanted the xdi60 but right now my goal is e30 i hope i can achieve at least that. In the spring ill most likely do the xdi injectors and then possibly upgrade to the xdi60 depending on what data shows. We are pretty confident on e50 it will make over 600whp no problem

Unfortunately ill run out of injector i think even on the 35 so ill be able to get good data on the setups along the way. Xdi35 with upgraded lpfp, 35 with lpfp and injectors, then with the 60. The current deals will put me in a good position not to loose on my 35 when i wanna upgrade to the 60 if I didn’t i would of just held off

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts

Mine and BK's ran on the stock tunning for the 35% pumps for months.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Mine and BK's ran on the stock tuning for the 35% pumps for months.
Another guy just sent me a PM saying his truck was very hard to start with stock tuning. But he had the XDI-EVO which MAY be a problem in itself and it was a 2020. Not sure how that complicates things.

One weekend (when I have time), I am going to put it back to stock, and see if I can start and drive around. I realize that stock, the PCM won't be able to take advantage of the raised fuel pressure of the XDI-35, but that isn't my objective.

I just hate fiddling with things, when I finally got the truck running so good.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,108 Posts
Blown mentioned in another thread that the stock tune on a Gen1 has no issues with the XDI HPFP swap, but that the Gen2 has some kind of pcm logic that controls the HPFP, thus that same swap can result in the "hard to start" experience.

That fella with the 2020 seems to confirm that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Blown mentioned in another thread that the stock tune on a Gen1 has no issues with the XDI HPFP swap, but that the Gen2 has some kind of pcm logic that controls the HPFP, thus that same swap can result in the "hard to start" experience.

That fella with the 2020 seems to confirm that.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised initially when the guy PM'd me about his problem. @Blown F-150 had already mentioned earlier that he was able to run a stock tune on the XDI-35. So I wasn't too sure if it was a 2020 issue, an XDI-EVO issue or an installation issue.

But what you are saying makes sense. It's almost like Ford is trying to make it hard(er) to tune these newer trucks.

I am really starting to like my Gen1 more & more.

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Frankly, I was a bit surprised initially when the guy PM'd me about his problem. @Blown F-150 had already mentioned earlier that he was able to run a stock tune on the XDI-35. So I wasn't too sure if it was a 2020 issue, an XDI-EVO issue or an installation issue.

But what you are saying makes sense. It's almost like Ford is trying to make it hard(er) to tune these newer trucks.

I am really starting to like my Gen1 more & more.
Actually, although I believe it to be true, it goes against my logic. For the same reason that it makes sense that the Gen1 wouldn't require any tuning to use a higher volume HPFP, it should work for a Gen2. Afterall, the HPFP doesn't determine how much fuel is being consumed in the combustion chamber, but rather it is just making sure that that fuel demand is being met.

Yet on the Gen2, there appears to be logic regarding the HPFP and somehow it IS affecting the fuel quantity being delivered by the injector?

Again, all evidence indicates that the claim of requiring a tune (logic) adjustment is required, but in my ******* hippie old geezer mind I can't understand.

Reactions: GearHead_1

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Actually, although I believe it to be true, it goes against my logic. For the same reason that it makes sense that the Gen1 wouldn't require any tuning to use a higher volume HPFP, it should work for a Gen2. Afterall, the HPFP doesn't determine how much fuel is being consumed in the combustion chamber, but rather it is just making sure that that fuel demand is being met.

Yet on the Gen2, there appears to be logic regarding the HPFP and somehow it IS affecting the fuel quantity being delivered by the injector?

Again, all evidence indicates that the claim of requiring a tune (logic) adjustment is required, but in my ******* hippie old geezer mind I can't understand.

I wish I had all the pieces to correctly explain why Gen2's are different. I've only been told that the Gen2's use different logic to control the HPFP because of the dual fueling. Ford changed something in the controlling of the stock HPFP (all voltage control from what I can gather), and why the XDI pumps don't just bolt in and work like the Gen1's.

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Variable voltage control logic absolutely clarifys the dilemma for me. For some reason I was locked into the concept as being 99% analog/mechanical...... Cam lifts plunger, fuel is pumped and pressurized.

But now I realize that it would be easy for the pcm, using variable voltage, to be controlling some kind of pressure limit relief valve, or something similar, and thus without "re-programming", that stock logic would hinder a pump with a different stroke/flow output.

Basically I ignored the fact that a wiring harness plugs into the pump for more reasons than just to get confirmation that the pump was "on".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Installed a xdi-35. Time for some more power. Calculations put my last revision on 94 with water meth for cooling was 530whp ish on factory hpfp and upgraded lpfp.
See how much more power it will make with some ethanol blended fuels now with the added fuel pressure.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts