F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
This assembly, while it doesn't have a mini filter, it follows exactly the OEM design, but even simpler. This will work identical to OEM Fuel Pump Assembly except factory 255lph fuel pump is replaced by a 450lph fuel pump. It would be as if Ford made the factory assembly with 450lph pump.

But now that I got it all made, I am already thinking about modifying my original pump currently in my tank when I replace it with this unit. Now that I have "been to the rodeo", I now have a few more ideas on how to improve it and get the mini filter installed WITH the fuel pump in the OEM basket as I did, instead of swapping baskets above.

I wonder if this is why Ducatti had his fuel pump "in/out" a half dozen times?

I really believe nothing should be loose. So I still am trying to avoid swapping the "hole" the fuel pump goes into. The OEM spot nicely holds it solidly in place, after you grind a little off the basket and bottom connector. Also, I am wondering if the FPR should be down so deep (like I did) or maybe closer to the metal Tee? I am thinking rubber hose have some "give" and could result in some variation to the pressure. So maybe the FPR should be closer to the Tee to minimize the amount of hose between the Tee and the FPR.

I can't wait to get this in (and do some datalogging) and then build my Version 2 with a Mini Filter.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Just ordered all the parts I will need to build my Version 2 (with an internal Jegs Mini-Filter). Hopefully the parts will all be here by the time my original Fuel Pump Assembly comes out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our gen 1 pump seems to be pretty stout. Im running the gt turbos right now and my fuel system seems to be holding up good so far but were still working on the tune

My new lpfp setup should be here next week with all the data on flow, voltage and amp draw at different volt levels. Once i have it in im gonna send him my oem lift pump setup to get is some data on it to see the true flow of them and so theres some good data for us.
Heres the data on a 2018+ oem pump vs a walbro 525 pump properly setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Don't assume our Gen 1 2011-2014 pumps are the same as 2018, especially "as is". Over time, the oem will get weaker, if only because the "sock filter" starts to clog up. That is why somewhere between 100,000-200,000 miles fuel pumps die and must be replaced. Sooner if you tend to run your tank below 25%, later if you tend to keep it filled all the time.

But the longer it is in your vehicle, the weaker it will become. I am basing this on past vehicles where I could monitor the actual fuel pressure in my rails, and I had an "adjustable FPR". Over time, I would notice a drop in the pressure, requiring me to bump it up.

Based on the results of my own 2013 OEM fuel pump, while my fuel pump still works, I can tell you that I am not flowing anywhere near those numbers.

I can barely run E20+. I doubt mine would handle the GT Turbos with my existing pumps, even if I ran pure gas. Throw some ethanol and then I would have real problems.

Reactions: Mikey_Ltd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't assume our Gen 1 2011-2014 pumps are the same as 2018, especially "as is". Over time, the oem will get weaker, if only because the "sock filter" starts to clog up. That is why somewhere between 100,000-200,000 miles fuel pumps die and must be replaced. Sooner if you tend to run your tank below 25%, later if you tend to keep it filled all the time.

Based on the results of my own 2013 OEM fuel pump, while my fuel pump still works, I can tell you that I am not flowing anywhere near those numbers.

I can barely run E20+. I doubt mine would handle the GT Turbos with my existing pumps, even if I ran pure gas. Throw some ethanol and then I would have real problems.
From my understanding the 2018 oem pumps flow less then ours

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Maybe comparing "brand new to brand new". And, as with everything, some trucks will have stronger pumps, and others weaker. If you have a weaker one (which you may not be aware of, initially) unless you carefully monitor it, you may either have "a dead pump" which strands you somewhere; or if it is unable to supply enough fuel, could cause a lean condition.

That almost happened to me, when my lambda was dangerously high (lean) and I was only running an E30 with stock turbos. As my pumps currently are, I am unable to burn much more than E20 ... and I still have to watch it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe comparing "brand new to brand new". And, as with everything, some trucks will have stronger pumps, and others weaker. If you have a weaker one (which you may not be aware of, initially) unless you carefully monitor it, you may either have "a dead pump" which strands you somewhere; or if it is unable to supply enough fuel, could cause a lean condition.

That almost happened to me, when my lambda was dangerously high (lean) and I was only running an E30 with stock turbos. As my pumps currently are, I am unable to burn much more than E20 ... and I still have to watch it.
My rear pump is currently healthy but swapping it out for piece if mind with having the new turbos. Im at 120,000km so i dont want to chance it. Its only been under a 1/4 tank around 10times.
Im curious about the data on it

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd have you installed an XDI-35 HPFP yet? I have both, in case the LPFP swap doesn't cure the problem OR doesn't cure it enough.

On my "Version 2" once I get my OEM pump out, I plan to build it so it has the Jegs Mini-Filter internally. As well, I am going to change my pump from a 450 to a 525, similar to what you Assembly will have installed. The 525 just flows more fuel EVERYWHERE, compared to the 450. But the 450 will at least show me if my fueling problem was in the LFPF or the HPFP.

The sad thing, I don't have all the proper DMRs since I had my strategy changed due to the recall. The Dealership did it when I had stated "No PCM Updates with calling owner". I know they did it because of legal liability, but I wish they hadn't. MY CONFIGs had all the proper info, but I cannot use them anymore with this new stratgy for some reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Mikey_Ltd have you installed an XDI-35 HPFP yet? I have both, in case the LPFP swap doesn't cure the problem OR doesn't cure it enough.

On my "Version 2" once I get my OEM pump out, I plan to build it so it has the Jegs Mini-Filter internally. As well, I am going to change my pump from a 450 to a 525, similar to what you Assembly will have installed. The 525 just flows more fuel EVERYWHERE, compared to the 450. But the 450 will at least show me if my fueling problem was in the LFPF or the HPFP.

The sad thing, I don't have all the proper DMRs since I had my strategy changed due to the recall. The Dealership did it when I had stated "No PCM Updates with calling owner". I know they did it because of legal liability, but I wish they hadn't. MY CONFIGs had all the proper info, but I cannot use them anymore with this new stratgy for some reason.
No hpfp for me yet. Just using my stock one at the moment. My in tank setup shipped today so ill have data on that this afternoon along with what our oem pumps flow new for comparison. Right now fueling has been good on all oem

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Our gen 1 pump seems to be pretty stout. Im running the gt turbos right now and my fuel system seems to be holding up good so far but were still working on the tune

My new lpfp setup should be here next week with all the data on flow, voltage and amp draw at different volt levels. Once i have it in im gonna send him my oem lift pump setup to get is some data on it to see the true flow of them and so theres some good data for us.
Heres the data on a 2018+ oem pump vs a walbro 525 pump properly setup

Hey Mikey, I may have missed this ,
How are you getting your data?
Do you have a flow bench, or someother method?
I ask because when I pull my oem I would like to test it myself and see where it stands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Mikey, I may have missed this ,
How are you getting your data?
Do you have a flow bench, or someother method?
I ask because when I pull my oem I would like to test it myself and see where it stands.
Jd power solutions built it. He has a full test bench. Ill have the volts and the amperage it uses with the flow it gives. Ill also have data on a new oem pump for comparison to share

Stock relief setting is 66-67 psi. This setup will be 75-76psi relief setting which will give more flow in 60psi range to take out the chance of any dipping on the hit with more pump then my truck would ever need even if it was a built motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the data on my lpfp setup. Updated basket with a walbro 535 hellcat pump with a check valve, all ethanol grade hardware, and adjusted releif setting so the hpfp will never starve for fuel on the hit and provide more then enough fuel down low. Jd power solutions actually bought a gen1 factory pump so he has data of before and after. The before is a brand new pump.

STOCK

Walbro Hellcat 535 pump with check valve and relief set

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Jd power solutions built it. He has a full test bench. Ill have the volts and the amperage it uses with the flow it gives. Ill also have data on a new oem pump for comparison to share

Stock relief setting is 66-67 psi. This setup will be 75-76psi relief setting which will give more flow in 60psi range to take out the chance of any dipping on the hit with more pump then my truck would ever need even if it was a built motor.

Awesome info Mikey.

This is some very valuable information that applies to what we are trying to achieve and under stand here .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome info Mikey.

This is some very valuable information that applies to what we are trying to achieve and under stand here .
in one of my previous posts i shared the walbro 525 pump info. You can see how the 535 draws less power from the electrical with a decent amount of more flow which was my reason for using it over the 525. Its pretty close to double the flow throughout the chart at equal pressure. Torrie is gonna start it at 60 for pressure my factory was at 55 which makes me beleive i had a healthy oem pump

He is very knowledgeable in fuel systems. The test bench is awesome as well. He built a setup for my buddies 18+ eco thats how i had the data on the 525 pump.

Im hoping to get this in Saturday morning

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
in one of my previous posts i shared the walbro 525 pump info. You can see how the 535 draws less power from the electrical with a decent amount of more flow which was my reason for using it over the 525. Its pretty close to double the flow throughout the chart at equal pressure. Torrie is gonna start it at 60 for pressure my factory was at 55 which makes me beleive i had a healthy oem pump

He is very knowledgeable in fuel systems. The test bench is awesome as well. He built a setup for my buddies 18+ eco thats how i had the data on the 525 pump.

Im hoping to get this in Saturday morning

Are you aware that the 535 has no check valve and is designed more for racing, and not street use?

Without a check valve (like the 525), when you stop the engine, all the fuel in the line from the HPFP to the pump will drain back and make starting longer as you must "refill" the fuel lines again. It would be the same as if you ever ran out of fuel and had to restart a port fuel injected engine.

I know this because I accidentally bought a 535, until I discovered it didn't have a check valve, and had to quickly cancel it and get the 525.

Not sure if you knew that about the 535. But if your usage is more "off-road" and you don't mind cranking the engine for a while, then it won't be an issue.

But, if you are primarily street use, and don't want to constantly have to crank your engine a while to get it to start, you may wish to consider switching (if you can).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you aware that the 535 has no check valve and is designed more for racing, and not street use?

Without a check valve (like the 525), when you stop the engine, all the fuel in the line from the HPFP to the pump will drain back and make starting longer as you must "refill" the fuel lines again. It would be the same as if you ever ran out of fuel and had to restart a port fuel injected engine.

I know this because I accidentally bought a 535, until I discovered it didn't have a check valve, and had to quickly cancel it and get the 525.

Not sure if you knew that about the 535.
Yeah a fore innovations check valve was added. Glad you pointed that out i dont think i shared that anywhere but its on the flow chart

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Great, sounds like you have that under control.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I wish I knew where to get those according hoses. In some situations, they can make life easy.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts