Premium Member
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Do you have anyone helping you?
No, I've always been a solo kinda guy.
Think i am just wired to work that way.
Why do you ask?

So the comment about hell or high water apperantly came to test that statement.
The work on this went smooth, it's pretty simple and straight forward, except i order the wrong size crimps.
( drive around looking for replacements, go to leave the store and expedition wont start. )1hr or so of dicking around to find a broken starter wire.
( Minnesota for ya/salt ) i rig a jumper with cables to get back , rebuild the pump, by that time its raining, 8 in the morning still raining.
I think i should have kept that comment to myself. ! 🤣
Wouldn't be a big deal but my truck wont fit in the garage so its half in half out.

Pulled of the hell part, here comes the high water
🤣. Honestly not that bad, do what ya gotta do.

I have tons of picks, and found solutions to a couple things Grim might find useful.
Going to toss the tank in now and get some longs this after noon.

·
Premium Member
8,508 Posts
Awesome post @Stickerslapper!

Good storytelling

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
wait I missed it, what are you doing? :D

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
wait I missed it, what are you doing? :D
@Stickerslapper2pointo modified a LPFP Assembly (as did I as well as a couple others). Now he is installing the modifed LFPF into his fuel tank. Mine is going in on August 11.

Hopefully, this LPFP will cure a fueling issue he has been happening with his truck (as do I and a couple of others).

As well we are going to compare the results to installing a HPFP without doing the LPFP, to see which route is better (as well as easier) ... HPFP or LFPF Assembly. From an ease of install, the prize goes to HPFP. And when I start adding up all the cost of the parts (both good and later found incorrect, to the final correct parts), my cost is starting to get there.

I am still building a second LPFP Assembly (Version 2), that I will install later. My Version 1 followed the OEM method of straining fuel - which I want to improve it with better filtration.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Alright all-right..!

I gently "tossed" the lpfp in over last weekend and had torrie send over a revision Monday after do data logging with the new pump. .
I have had all week driving back and forth to jobs.

There is a lot , And I do mean A LOT for us to talk about here.

Before we get all hot and heavy into all the stats, and pros and this-isis and thats, I am going to wait until Grim gets his in on the 11th of aug..
Grim went with walbro( my 1st choice )
I went with the dw400. .
Curious what differences ( if any ) that are noticed!.

There will be tons of data shared, and tons of pics uploaded for anyone that is curious as to the process.

For now,
I will leave you with this.

It's not the same truck it was the week before.

And to all a wonderful weekend, ho ho ohhhh, wait it's just now Aug, and I'm not santi -Claus! 🤣🤣
You guys have a good weekend!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Alright all-right..!

I gently "tossed" the lpfp in over last weekend and had torrie send over a revision Monday after do data logging with the new pump. .
I have had all week driving back and forth to jobs.

There is a lot , And I do mean A LOT for us to talk about here.

Before we get all hot and heavy into all the stats, and pros and this-isis and thats, I am going to wait until Grim gets his in on the 11th of aug..
Grim went with walbro( my 1st choice )
I went with the dw400. .
Curious what differences ( if any ) that are noticed!.

There will be tons of data shared, and tons of pics uploaded for anyone that is curious as to the process.

For now,
I will leave you with this.

It's not the same truck it was the week before.

And to all a wonderful weekend, ho ho ohhhh, wait it's just now Aug, and I'm not santi -Claus!
You guys have a good weekend!
Glad to hear its working good. We are installing my new assembly today. Already got the revision for the lpfp pump setup and 3 bar map from torrie. Emailed him last night and got it 8 minutes after. Can wait to get this in and dialed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Um, that ah skinny pedal to the right,
Yeah that one, you know the one that has put smiles on your face since you were a wee lad. Yeah, just mash that for a few hrs.
Problem solved. 😆🤣🤣.
Eco my butt!! Pulling 13mpg with the e30 tune . Ahhhh play things
Was 10.5 before the pump install tho.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Um, that ah skinny pedal to the right,
Yeah that one, you know the one that has put smiles on your face since you were a wee lad. Yeah, just mash that for a few hrs.
Problem solved. 😆🤣🤣.
Eco my butt!! Pulling 13mpg with the e30 tune . Ahhhh play things
Was 10.5 before the pump install tho.
So you are saying you are noticing a 2.5mpg (about 25%) increase in fuel economy due to the bigger LPFP?

Maybe the PCM can finally give the CORRECT amount fuel due to the higher flow rate of the LPFP.

It will be interesting if I too notice an increase in fuel economy. I am not expecting any. But I am due for a happy surprise (instead of the crappy surprises I seem to get).

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
So you are saying you are noticing a 2.5mpg (about 25%) increase in fuel economy due to the bigger LPFP?

Maybe the PCM can finally give the CORRECT amount fuel due to the higher flow rate of the LPFP.

It will be interesting if I too notice an increase in fuel economy. I am not expecting any. But I am due for a happy surprise (instead of the crappy surprises I seem to get).
I havent ran any of my other tunes yet,
But on this one particular tune yes about a 2.5 mpg increase in mpg.
One thing i have noticed, is that my pulse width was cut in half.
Before it was having to puke fuel at near 14,000 milsec.( or whatever the value is named ) and now I am seeing 6-8k . That is half the time open, allow a finer spray, better atomization, ( less fuel ) .
I was only monitoring the values on hard hits or wot, but i would think it corrected the pulse width across the board.

One thing to keep in mind, i am not saying or suggesting that a swapping out a new oem pump with this pump will generate the same results, i am quite certain that I had a weaker pump from the day bought this truck. ( used mine you ) .
It always seemed like there should be a little more there. ( i have always had a kinda " in tune" thing with my fun vehicles)
Also, i was showing dips in my 1st rev. 93 perf. Tune. .
At the time i didn't think much about it. But looking back things started adding up.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if it is the pump itself, or the filter/fpr valve was getting clogged and it was making the stock pump work harder to get the same or less then stock flow when the tuners tune up the pressure .

Not sure how well you can see the grit, but it was only in the basket. Not in the tank it self. I think the filter material was coming apart. I still intend on cutting into the filter to see what we have going on. But best guess with how far i have gone at this point.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I havent ran any of my other tunes yet,
But on this one particular tune yes about a 2.5 mpg increase in mpg.
One thing i have noticed, is that my pulse width was cut in half.
Before it was having to puke fuel at near 14,000 milsec.( or whatever the value is named ) and now I am seeing 6-8k . That is half the time open, allow a finer spray, better atomization, ( less fuel ) .
I was only monitoring the values on hard hits or wot, but i would think it corrected the pulse width across the board.

One thing to keep in mind, i am not saying or suggesting that a swapping out a new oem pump with this pump will generate the same results, i am quite certain that I had a weaker pump from the day bought this truck. ( used mine you ) .
It always seemed like there should be a little more there. ( i have always had a kinda " in tune" thing with my fun vehicles)
Also, i was showing dips in my 1st rev. 93 perf. Tune. .
At the time i didn't think much about it. But looking back things started adding up.
I think the same myself. Even with pure gas fuel, I always had a dip in lower rpms. And I could not run any high concentration that E20 without a big dip.

Sadly, my existing CONFIG for my "new" Strategy (that I have to pull off my PCM) does not monitor any DMRs and quite limited by the PIDs. But I should be able to at least see the improvement in my actual FRP versus commanded. That is about the only useful PID in my "neutered CONFIG".

I am hoping that I may have a better CONFIG shortly with the assistance of a friend.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So we have completed tuning the truck for 93 with some water meth spraying in the boost tube about half way down for cooling. We hit the limit of 93 octane which is probably less here in Canada our fuel hasn’t been the greatest. Ill be moving on to e30 within the next week or two. Truck is consistent. Last year i ran a 13.8 on factory turbos and factory fueling with lighter rims and tires, tailgate, tonneau and bed matt removed. I did a dragy pull this morning at full weight launching at 2200rpm with only a 1/4 tank of fuel and hit a 13.44 at 6460lbs when i weighed it right before i ran it. With the weight taken back off and lighter rims and tire im sure i can hit low 13’s maybe knock on a 12.9ish using 93 octane. Fueling so far has been stable with the lift pump upgrade.

My mods are
-Tuned by torrie at unleashed tuning
-Jd performance solutions lpfp setup with a walbro 535 pump
-snow performance water meth stage 2.5 with a #6 nozzle
-borg warner upgraded turbos
-full race intercooler and tial bov
-exedy upgraded clutches and steels in the trans
-oem ported manifolds
-sp542 plugs gapped at 0.026
-msd coils
-factory cat delete
-factory muffler delete
So the exhaust system is all 2.5” until it flares up to 3” where it used to exit the oem muffler
-ams turbo adapters
-3 bar map sensor

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_8600.png

IMG_8603.png

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
So we have completed tuning the truck for 93 with some water meth spraying in the boost tube about half way down for cooling. We hit the limit of 93 octane which is probably less here in Canada our fuel hasn’t been the greatest. Ill be moving on to e30 within the next week or two. Truck is consistent. Last year i ran a 13.8 on factory turbos and factory fueling with lighter rims and tires, tailgate, tonneau and bed matt removed. I did a dragy pull this morning at full weight launching at 2200rpm with only a 1/4 tank of fuel and hit a 13.44 at 6460lbs when i weighed it right before i ran it. With the weight taken back off and lighter rims and tire im sure i can hit low 13’s maybe knock on a 12.9ish using 93 octane. Fueling so far has been stable with the lift pump upgrade.

My mods are
-Tuned by torrie at unleashed tuning
-Jd performance solutions lpfp setup with a walbro 535 pump
-snow performance water meth stage 2.5 with a #6 nozzle
-borg warner upgraded turbos
-full race intercooler and tial bov
-exedy upgraded clutches and steels in the trans
-oem ported manifolds
-sp542 plugs gapped at 0.026
-msd coils
-factory cat delete
-factory muffler delete
So the exhaust system is all 2.5” until it flares up to 3” where it used to exit the oem muffler
-ams turbo adapters
-3 bar map sensor

View attachment 167760

View attachment 167761

View attachment 167762

I am curious, ( and this is purely out of curiosity, not judging choice)

What made you go with the exhaust set up you did. ? You have big money into this build, why did you choose to just section in the factory exhaust?

Does it sound good this way?

Main reason I am asking i have been looking into exhausts since the day i bought this and still havent pulled the trigger, but I am finally get tired of not hearing the motor accelerate, that was a HUGE part of the driving experience, and its gone, ( I actually like using the manual valve body in our trucks, but i cant hear the motor so i have to look to shift.. ( seriously strange when you grew up doing it by sound ).
Any ways started looking at exhausts again and saw what you posted and was wondering your thoughts on that approach with the exhaust.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am curious, ( and this is purely out of curiosity, not judging choice)

What made you go with the exhaust set up you did. ? You have big money into this build, why did you choose to just section in the factory exhaust?

Does it sound good this way?

Main reason I am asking i have been looking into exhausts since the day i bought this and still havent pulled the trigger, but I am finally get tired of not hearing the motor accelerate, that was a HUGE part of the driving experience, and its gone, ( I actually like using the manual valve body in our trucks, but i cant hear the motor so i have to look to shift.. ( seriously strange when you grew up doing it by sound ).
Any ways started looking at exhausts again and saw what you posted and was wondering your thoughts on that approach with the exhaust.
It took me 3 years roughly before i even touched anything exhaust related on the truck. I listened to multiple setups in person locally on other trucks and online. The one thing that that seemed to be the common denominator was piping size making it sound not great up high. So I started with a muffler delete which then i want more turbo noise so i had the cats removed leaving only the factory resonator. It’s honestly the best sounding eco ive heard. Even the v8 guys compliment it. Good deep low tone and no rasp when under wot doesn’t seem to restrict power it made 436hp on the second last revision with factory turbos and 618 peak torque

In a couple weeks though im switching it up to new gen catless raptor true dual 3” downpipes which will go into a hpipe and 2 vibrant ultra quiet 3” resonators then the bumper in the back will be notched out on each side for rear exit tips. Im hoping it sounds good if not ill put the current setup back on

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
It took me 3 years roughly before i even touched anything exhaust related on the truck. I listened to multiple setups in person locally on other trucks and online. The one thing that that seemed to be the common denominator was piping size making it sound not great up high. So I started with a muffler delete which then i want more turbo noise so i had the cats removed leaving only the factory resonator. It’s honestly the best sounding eco ive heard. Even the v8 guys compliment it. Good deep low tone and no rasp when under wot doesn’t seem to restrict power it made 436hp on the second last revision with factory turbos and 618 peak torque

In a couple weeks though im switching it up to new gen catless raptor true dual 3” downpipes which will go into a hpipe and 2 vibrant ultra quiet 3” resonators then the bumper in the back will be notched out on each side for rear exit tips. Im hoping it sounds good if not ill put the current setup back on

Would you be willing to send me a quick vid, or sound file to my inbox.
( so as to not muddy this thread up more than I already have ).
I to have spent countless, literally COUNTLESS hours, researching exhaust.
That has always been my 1st mod to any past vehicle, except the good ol' ickyboost.

It would be greatly appreciated if you do.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Unfortunately, my LPFP I modified failed. When I got the LPFP pulled out, and inspected it; it turns out the Fuel Pressure Regulator that I had fastened with Oetiker Clamps and a crimper got blown out. Luckily, the FPR remained in the basket. So I am using this opportunity to both permanently fix the FPR so it doesn't blow out again, and this time (now that I have U-clamps) make Version 2 now (with a Jegs mini filter). Also, I want to do a better job on the solder connection of the pigtail to the pump.

One question I have for anyone who has made their own LPFP Assembly and relocated the FPR; what did you do to make the FPR not blow out?

With the "screen and O-Ring" on the FPR, it won't squeeze into the 30R10 hose. That was why I left them off originally. But, obviously this will not work.

I see basically two possible choices:

1) Put the end of the 30R10 hose that the FPR fits into, in a cup of boiling hot water for a few miniutes to soften it;

2) Glue the end of the FPR with JB Weld "WaterWeld" (that is rated safe for gasoline and E85). Unfortunately, that could also make future removal impossible.

So what did you other guys do to permanently attache the FPR to the modified LPFP? Or, did you do like me and so far nothing has happened?

I now can see why some guys dropped their tank 20 times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have been tuning away on the truck using our 94 here in Canada. Fuel pressure seems very stable so far with my lpfp setup. That little dip it goes from 2161 to 2103 probably where he loads the turbo more im not sire but i have another revision im gonna log in the morning he made some adjustments to.
I also did a dragy run at 6460lbs was a 13.31 @103mph
Last year the truck stripped down with lighter rims and tires ran a 13.8 at 96-98mph so the new turbos have been working great and fuelling seems to be stable. I have my e30 tune ready to go and should be starting that within the next couple weeks

161 - 180 of 238 Posts