F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here my new (to me anyway) baby - standard 2012 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost Supercrew with 58500 miles. Ive wanted a truck for years and thanks to a light jumper my dream's come true with this beauty.
Plan is to set her up to take the family and I on some epic journeys exploring all that California and the neighbouring states have to offer.
IMG_0641-1280x960.JPG IMG_0640_exported_-783026598-1008x756.jpg IMG_0639_exported_1811287211-1280x960.jpg

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Welcome...let the Journey begin....lottsa pics as ya go!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Welcome! Reminds me of when I first got my truck. I had no idea I would take it this far but I have no regrets that I did, my truck has taken me to some awesome places.

Good luck with your adventures!
2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ill tell ya, the open vastness that is out there in California is something that I really do miss now that I am on the east coast.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome - RedRooster, bespurcell, D0ncH.
Bakwoodj - the plan is a American Pickup interpretation of this 3393.jpg to go the sort of places norcal_ecoscrew has taken his (very nice BTW) truck, because as fnjeep314 says there is nothing like the vastness of California.

Apologies all for disappearing just after starting this but things will start moving again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Things already done Part 1

Blown F-150 idea stealing is welcome - the whole point of this thread is to get and share ideas. All input appreciated and I'll be happy to share the details on any mod if people are interested.

So to kick things off I'll cover the things I've done since I got the truck - I'll split it across when I have time to do them.

Reversing Camera and Sensor - Hopkins Smart Hitch - Replaces the Licence plate holder.
IMG_0713.JPG
I had to trim it slightly to fit the Spare Wheel winder port and as my truck only had a 4-way tow harness I had to splice into the reversing light to get the trigger signal but not too difficult. It works great expect when I have a bike over the tailgate.

Side Steps - SteelCraft EVO3 Stepboards - I wanted to keep some Chrome accents (I'm aware not universally popular) but don't want it to be blling so liked the mixture of chrome-ish and black. It will also help tie in with some of the things I'll be adding way down the line that only really come in matt black.
IMG_0714.JPG
They just bolt on to the same places on the frame the OEM ones do, again relatively easy provided you only loosely fit to start so you have scope to jiggle things to get them to line up.

Whilst I was splicing the trigger signal for the backup camera I also took of feeds for two LED reversing lights - these are just LED worklights from Amazon.
IMG_0763.JPG
The just bolted in as replacement of the bolts that hold the Chrome bumper trim in place - they certainly light up what's behind the truck and leave no-one in doubt when the trucks about to go backwards.

To complete the work at the back of the truck I fitted a CURT Type 4 heavy duty hitch - as an added bonus it works really well to offer protection to the reversing lights.
IMG_0766.JPG

It bolts to the frame using some serious hardware in OEM bolt locations - so a simple job provided you've got someone else to hold it in place for you.

More to come.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some great thoughts thanks.

I'm actually about to buy a pair of Builtright seat releasers from View Profile: CrownOffroad - F150 Ecoboost Forum and was planning to keep my rescue stuff behind the rear seats so they are in the truck permanently - I might steal the grid idea to mount them.

I thought about the tent on a rack concept but figured if I have the family with me I'd need more space and if it's just me I can use my bivvy bag in the bed - but BC is a slightly more challenging environment so I'd probably reconsider if I was in your position.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I will pull the trigger on their nifty seat releases when I order up the racks. I made up my own access with a piece of paracord and a key ring. It works, but isn't too pretty.

Behind the seat is packed with gear as it is and with the little guy still in a car seat, a PITA to access. It's one of the reasons why I want to move a bunch of the items to the box.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will pull the trigger on their nifty seat releases when I order up the racks. I made up my own access with a piece of paracord and a key ring. It works, but isn't too pretty.

Behind the seat is packed with gear as it is and with the little guy still in a car seat, a PITA to access. It's one of the reasons why I want to move a bunch of the items to the box.
Makes sense - I thought about a build not buy approach but as CrownOffRoad hooked me up with a good deal I decided it wasn't worth it - my little guys are now big lumps so move your A** usually works once I unplug their tech.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More small tweaks

Too protect the new hitch and reversing lights from thrown stones if fitted WeatherTech Mudflaps

IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0726.JPG

Another easy install and they look great fitted.

Now what I suspect is my 1st controversial install - I've spent most of my life driving European Cars/SUV's and I just can't get comfortable without one if I'm driving for more than an hour.

Deadpedal - Cravenspeed Raptor

IMG_0794.JPG

As I'm not planning on driving like it's a Raptor I only fitted it to the OEM upper bolt and not also screwing it to the floor - it's still totally solid and made for a much easier install.

For me it makes a massive difference not having my left foot flat on the floor and I can drive comfortably for hours.

LED Interior lights - Diode Dynamics

I fitted High Lumen HP5 RED Map lights and a Red Dome Light to protect night vision.
IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG

and High Lumen White switched Dome Lights if people need proper light in the back.
IMG_0947.JPG

The front install is a little scary as you have to pull the overhead apart a bit using trim tools (but only at the very front - some of the hints I found online talked about removing the whole thing which is not necessary).
The dome requires a bit of force to remove but does just pop off from the back if you squeeze hard enough. I'm especially pleased with the Map Lights they offer great light whilst not killing night vision and look cool when you unlock the truck at night.

My most recent upgrade was front lighting - I was disappointed with stock especially in a truck I intend taking into the back country. I tried new aftermarket units with LED's but didn't like the look so I went back to the stock units with some major upgrades from Diode Dynamics.

LED's - High Output HP5 Sidemarkers, Switchback HP24 Turn/Parks - Diode Dynamics
IMG_0935.JPG
Passenger Side Before/Driver Side After

HID Hi/Low Conversion for Main Beams - Diode Dynamics
IMG_0931.JPG
Passenger Side Before/Driver Side After

The difference is night and day (excuse the pun) - low beams give more than enough light to drive on even unlit streets and the fulls have real reach. Diode Dynamics where great with pre-purchase advice and the products are great. I mistakenly ordered a replacement flasher unit (2012+ trucks don't have one, you need to turn off hyperlinking using Forscan) and the return was pain free.

Next on the list are:
  • A way to securely carry a whole mixture of stuff in the bed - keeping luggage dry whilst still letting me have teh e-Bike over the tailgate.
  • LED Bedlights and a 12v Bed Socket
  • Accessible recovery gear storage behind the rear bench
  • LED Lightbar in the Grill
Sometime after that I'll start on the big stuff but that will require domestic negotiation.

As she looks now:
IMG_0949.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Looking good!

You just reminded me about the Dead pedal! Something I wanted to get last year and totally forgot about.

Thanks for spending MY money! lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good!

You just reminded me about the Dead pedal! Something I wanted to get last year and totally forgot about.

Thanks for spending MY money! lol.
My pleasure - I’m sure you will return the favor when I get to the point of tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts