F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying this to replace my recently totaled 5.0/3.73. Will I be disappointed with how it pulls my 4500 lb travel trailer here in the Rocky Mountains?
I'm a first timer here, not mechanically inclined and with limited towing experience, so please any advice is appreciated! Don't be shy!

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
If it's the 3:31 that concerns you, with that 6 speed you MIGHT notice a little difference coming off of full stop. But honestly, that low end torque compared to the 5.0 flips the table big time after about 5mph. Lol

4500lbs will be a cakewalk for that drive train.

On hot days and long big grades you might have the opposite problem as the 5.0 in that "making power" on those turbos is so easy that you gotta watch coolant and intake Temps. That motor can sometimes make more power than it can manage properly with the heat soaked Intercooler and the limits of the radiator. You actually might have to SLOW DOWN, because it wants to keep flying up that hill.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
2013 3.5 Ecoboost SCrew, 97k miles. 3.31 open diffs, zero mods.

No..you will not be disappointed.
I just pulled a 7k excavator and trailer yesterday, it just chugs along sub 2,000 rpm. Rockies are a different story than where I live, but you will not miss 3.73/5.0

I regularly tow a 3k utility trailer, couple of days a month. I've never wished for more power or deeper gears.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I pull my 4000lbs travel trailer from Ft Worth, Tx up to Paonia, Co (crossing Monarch Pass @ 11,312') with the 3.31 gears and 275/70-18 (about 1.75" taller tire) and have no issues with keep power/speed where I need it. Tow mode and if needed lock out a gear and this thing keeps on pulling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, appreciate the feedback! Found what I think is a great used truck but the 3.31 was a big concern for me! I’ll just make sure to keep an eye on the temperature gauges...won’t be difficult since my wife will be driving, lol!
If it's the 3:31 that concerns you, with that 6 speed you MIGHT notice a little difference coming off of full stop. But honestly, that low end torque compared to the 5.0 flips the table big time after about 5mph. Lol

4500lbs will be a cakewalk for that drive train.

On hot days and long big grades you might have the opposite problem as the 5.0 in that "making power" on those turbos is so easy that you gotta watch coolant and intake Temps. That motor can sometimes make more power than it can manage properly with the heat soaked Intercooler and the limits of the radiator. You actually might have to SLOW DOWN, because it wants to keep flying up that hill.

Thanks for helping me seal the deal...bought the truck today!

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
Pics or we don't believe you. :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Let us know how it feels after your first tow. You would know best after having a 5.0 what is the better choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad! So excited to find the right one after a month long search I missed it and won’t have the truck till Friday! Will post at that time!
2013 3.5EB Laredo 87k denim blue metallic

·
Registered
63 Posts

We pulled this setup over 20k miles last year with same gear ratio. It was a little over 14k GCVR. Right at the end of the scales but it always seemed like I could give it more umph. Cooling all the umph however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

We pulled this setup over 20k miles last year with same gear ratio. It was a little over 14k GCVR. Right at the end of the scales but it always seemed like I could give it more umph. Cooling all the umph however...

Nice rig...every post I see gives me more confidence! And I really liked my 5.0!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a
14 3.5 supercab 4wd with the 3.31 axle ratios and I have no complaints on power. I regularly tow a 3 horse trailer that weighs 4300 before adding horses and tack and my tractor on the trailer weights in 8500-9000 lbs and again no complaints. I do live in IL but I am at the southern end of the state where we have steep and long hills, nothing like the Rockies but I wouldn't hesitate to tow any of my stuff in such places.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
2011 3.31 here on 34" tires. Towed about 7000lb from new Brunswick back to Ontario in 1 day. Truck never over heated once, never got over 205 on the trans.

She pulls great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts