F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New guy here. I'm in Houston and I've been searching for advice on my truck. I'm the original owner, she has 180,000 miles and runs great, except the turbo leaks. I had the dealership take a look and they confirmed both turbos are leaking. I'm putting about 3 quarts of coolant per week to keep it going. I'm planning on having the turbos replaced after tax returns. I do not want to give myself more problems so I am seeking advice.

I'd really like to upgrade the turbos and exhaust manifolds since I have to go in on such a major repair. What risks should I be aware of on a 180,000 mile engine if I upgrade the turbos? I'm hoping it's a mild risk. I am NO mechanic and will not be troubleshooting anything. I'd just make it worse lol.

Do you have to get a custom tune on the engine? If so, is there a reputable shop in Houston that can do all of this work turn key? I read about a fine shop up in Dallas but thats a good ride from here and I'd be concerned about having to take it all the way back to Dallas if there is an issue.

All input is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
51 Posts
2013, it’s in the title 😁

At 180,000 miles if it was my truck, I would just replace the turbos with stock and not do any tuning. If you tune, you are putting more stress on a high mileage engine and it won’t last very long. Just keep up with the maintenance items and enjoy it.

· Registered
776 Posts
Based on common issues, it’s likely your turbos are leaking at the fittings… did the dealer/mechanic confirm the turbos themselves are leaking? That said, not exactly a waste of money to replace them at your mileage. Im thinking this would be smart when i dig into mine soon to do manifolds etc. Due to the 217k alone

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Aren't the garret power max turbos a little bump in performance with all stock tuning and location?

Reactions: Blown F-150

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone! New guy here. I'm in Houston and I've been searching for advice on my truck. I'm the original owner, she has 180,000 miles and runs great, except the turbo leaks. I had the dealership take a look and they confirmed both turbos are leaking. I'm putting about 3 quarts of coolant per week to keep it going. I'm planning on having the turbos replaced after tax returns. I do not want to give myself more problems so I am seeking advice.

I'd really like to upgrade the turbos and exhaust manifolds since I have to go in on such a major repair. What risks should I be aware of on a 180,000 mile engine if I upgrade the turbos? I'm hoping it's a mild risk. I am NO mechanic and will not be troubleshooting anything. I'd just make it worse lol.

Do you have to get a custom tune on the engine? If so, is there a reputable shop in Houston that can do all of this work turn key? I read about a fine shop up in Dallas but thats a good ride from here and I'd be concerned about having to take it all the way back to Dallas if there is an issue.

There is a parts kit you can buy . The o rings, casket or whatever u call its...small pieces that go into the turbo lines.. There are seals and such you can replace to whip that turbo back into shape.. About your bigger turbos, I don't know about all that. Me personally same size turbs but a better tuner.. At least that's what my wife tells me

· Registered
2 Posts

Who are you referring to in Dallas? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
302 Posts
just wondering what is appropriate cost from the dealer for two new turbos plus install?
These days the overwhelming majority of people replacing high mileage turbos on Gen1 F150 EcoBoost 3.5L use the garrett powermax stage1 turbos. They are higher quality and more durable than OEM and compatible with stock or tuned. Furthermore i would not be concerned with a high mileage gen1 motor. The ring gaps open up a bit, the metal is heat cycled and the entire system is happy.

The installation cost depends on who the dealer is... thankfully there are some great dealerships but on the other end of the spectrum some extreme offenders with full-MSRP for parts and then some. Id say most guys are DIYing or bringing to a good independant mechanic.

· Registered
51 Posts
These days the overwhelming majority of people replacing high mileage turbos on Gen1 F150 EcoBoost 3.5L use the garrett powermax stage1 turbos. They are higher quality and more durable than OEM and compatible with stock or tuned. Furthermore i would not be concerned with a high mileage gen1 motor. The ring gaps open up a bit, the metal is heat cycled and the entire system is happy.

The installation cost depends on who the dealer is... thankfully there are some great dealerships but on the other end of the spectrum some extreme offenders with full-MSRP for parts and then some. Id say most guys are DIYing or bringing to a good independant mechanic.
The Garrett Stage 1 Turbos are $1878 for the pair not including labor. Can take as little as two hours to replace them.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on common issues, it’s likely your turbos are leaking at the fittings… did the dealer/mechanic confirm the turbos themselves are leaking? That said, not exactly a waste of money to replace them at your mileage. Im thinking this would be smart when i dig into mine soon to do manifolds etc. Due to the 217k alone
Yes, the dealer confirmed it.

· Moderstrator
4,863 Posts
If I read the consensus of the forum correctly it seems many have moved away from the CRP product. There are a couple of guys that have warped these too. There are a couple of options now that perhaps show some promise. The new design stainless Ford manifolds and the Full Race (expensive) both look like good options.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
  1. ACTUATOR KIT FOR GARRETT PMAX STAGE 1 - 5 PSI
    $0.00

2. Full-Race Formline 3.5L Gen1 EcoBoost F-150 Turbo Manifolds (2011-2016)
    FULL-RACE FORMLINE 3.5L GEN1 ECOBOOST F-150 TURBO MANIFOLDS (2011-2016)
    $999.99

3. 2011-2020 F150 3.5L EcoBoost Billet Turbo Adapter Kit
    2011-2020 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST BILLET TURBO ADAPTER KIT
    $249.99

4. Full Race 2011 - 2016 3.5L Ecoboost F150 Turbo Installation Kit *For Use With Full Race Billet Turbo Adapter Kit

FULL RACE 2011 - 2016 3.5L ECOBOOST F150 TURBO INSTALLATION KIT *FOR USE WITH FULL RACE BILLET TURBO ADAPTER KIT
    $199.99

5. Actuator Kit for Garrett PMax Stage 1 - 5 psi

ACTUATOR KIT FOR GARRETT PMAX STAGE 1 - 5 PSI
    $0.00

6. Garrett PowerMax 2011-2016 3.5L F150 EcoBoost Stage 1 Bolt-On Twin Turbo Upgrade
    GARRETT POWERMAX 2011-2016 3.5L F150 ECOBOOST STAGE 1 BOLT-ON TWIN TURBO UPGRADE
    F-150 ECOBOOST 2013-2016 +$1,941.80
    $1,941.80
CART SUBTOTAL
$3,391.77

Does that look like a complete list of parts I'll need?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts