F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine seized on my 2013 4x4 V6 3.5L F150. Ford says a new engine would be $8000 plus $3500 labour with 3yr warranty. Used engines in Canada go for approx. $6000 with basically no warranty. Scrap yards are saying I can only get $1000. Other than the engine the truck is in really good shape. Should I try and sell it privately? Looking for suggestions on the best way forward.

·
Registered
68 Posts
$10,500 net for an all new engine with a 3 year warranty is not a bad deal (get that warranty in writing). Especially with the used truck market being so hot right now... You'll recoup some of that money down the road with the increased value of your truck when / if you decide to sell.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Even with the used engine, you're still paying for the labor. If you're talking about 2K difference (figuring the labor is basically a wash), I'd go with the new engine (and, as mentioned, get the warranty details in writing).

Your only other option except for scrap is to sell it to someone who's going to drop a new engine in it. And that's going to dramatically reduce the number of interested parties.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
If $11,500 was going to get me a completely new Factory Fresh Ecoboost (includes turbos?), AND a 36 month Ford warranty, AND the truck is in good condition otherwise, AND I planned on keeping the truck longterm.......

Then I believe it's a good value equation.

Where are you going to find a nice used 1/2 TON truck with a new engine and a warranty for anywhere near that price?
The only real negative is the funding mechanism being cash. Not everyone is in a position to take that approach, but it's not a bad economic deal.

Me personally, I just need the truck to be a truck that I would enjoy driving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With the market the way it is, fiscally speaking, your best options are repowering it with the good unit or insurance fraud (which I would strongly advise against). Straight up truck replacement is too costly with the inflated prices, but you can bet the value will remain strong for another 12-18 months at least due to the supply chain limitations and how slow the trickle down of used units will be in the market place.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
I won't be buying a truck until this sellers market softens up toward buyers alot but I can tell ya without a doubt, if my engine becomes toast today, I will be buying a new block, at minimum.

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
I won't be buying a truck until this sellers market softens up toward buyers alot but I can tell ya without a doubt, if my engine becomes toast today, I will be buying a new block, at minimum.
I don’t understand this logic. You could just get an 84 month loan and pay 10 K over MSRP and in two years be completely underwater when the market comes back to normal

The crazy part is that when I’m on the Facebook groups people are buying trucks like nothings up.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I don’t understand this logic. You could just get an 84 month loan and pay 10 K over MSRP and in two years be completely underwater when the market comes back to normal

The crazy part is that when I’m on the Facebook groups people are buying trucks like nothings up.
Yep broncos at 15-20k over msrp...

Worlds effed up.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
I resemble that remark. Lol
But honestly, if you have a "newer" truck with low mileage, the trade in value is just as elevated by pressure as the lower discounts on new vehicles are. (I'm not talking about vehicles that are being sold over MSRP. I can't find a value equation that works short term or long term for that)

If you are getting $5000 more than normal for your tradein and paying $5000 more without the normal discount, then it's a wash. Technically anyway.

It's a strange market for sure, but buying and selling can still be accomplished if you use common sense and some discipline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts