F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When I did my tests with different octanes while towing I found that the engine seemed to run a little cooler the higher the octane. The PCM can advance timing more, for a longer period of time on the higher octane. I found only a slight difference between 87 and 91 that is blended with ethanol. However, if you can find NON-ethanol 91-93, then the differences are much more noticeable. The cost of pure gas however negates any savings over blended 87. In fact, it may end up costing you more because you don't gain an equal amount of MPG to make up the difference.

Now if you routinely ran 87-89 in the past, you shouldn't have to put higher octane in the tank to "regain" performance from before. So if your habits haven't changed, but the truck has, then I would still focus on fixing the truck's performance.
Towing I have tried to always run 93. I’m sure I’ve forgotten before but I’ll be sure to try and run 93 from now on.

The PSI readings from this morning are perplexing though. I talked to our company mechanic about it and he had the same puzzled look on his face. We decided if the two sensors are the same part number maybe I should flip-flop them, and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Never considered compression. The truck runs really smooth just doesn’t pull like I remember.

I have the Torque Pro but rarely use it but I hooked it up for a few minutes this morning.
My old android phone seems to have lost all my PIDs but I was able to get “Intake Manifold pressure” and “Turbo Boost and Vacuum”. The intake manifold read constantly higher than the other. I’m not sure of location on either. I assume the intake manifold is the one on top the manifold and behind the throttle body. The second is on the charge pipe. Memory is a little fuzzy but it shouldn’t be hard for me to locate. Here’s what I thought was interesting and I don’t recall this before. The manifold consistently read way over 13.5psi. While the boost/vacuum gauge would only peak at 13.5. I didn’t have a long straight away to make sure it would hold 13.5psi so I’m not ready to say it won’t but that was a problem before I replaced the BOV earlier this year. I would like to think under normal conditions the manifold would be slightly lower than the charge pipe not massively higher. Looks like it’s peak was 28-29psi. Which is way out of spec but no check engines and no faults.
Intake manifold pressure is in absolute psi. Its boost + atmospheric pressure.

Turbo boost is gauge pressure. It is manifold absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure.

Intake manifold pressure should be 14.7 psi higher than turbo boost if you are at sea level. This would make sense since you saw 28-29 psi at the intake while seeing 13.5 psi of turbo boost.

Both are reading the same sensor, they are just offset by atmospheric pressure.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Towing I have tried to always run 93. I’m sure I’ve forgotten before but I’ll be sure to try and run 93 from now on.

The PSI readings from this morning are perplexing though. I talked to our company mechanic about it and he had the same puzzled look on his face. We decided if the two sensors are the same part number maybe I should flip-flop them, and see what happens.
Do not swap the map sensor before and after the throttle body. They are scaled different in the PCM because the one before the throttle body is a 3 BAR map and the one on the manifold is a 2.5 BAR map. It would screw up your pcm ability to read the boost, probably throw codes, go into limp mode, or worse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Do not swap the map sensor before and after the throttle body. They are scaled different in the PCM because the one before the throttle body is a 3 BAR map and the one on the manifold is a 2.5 BAR map. It would screw up your pcm ability to read the boost, probably throw codes, go into limp mode, or worse.
Awesome thanks for the info I would have confirmed part numbers match. But it doesn’t sound like a worth while test based on the scaling you mentioned they are working correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're experienced enough, you probably already know about these tricks, so if I'm being too simple, I apologize.

First off, have your dealer reset your KAM or CAM memory. (If they don't know what that is, you should find a smarter dealer). My dealer is great, and even resets mine for free if I'm having other work done. Otherwise, they charge about $39.

Clean your mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Buy the appropriate CRC kit from pretty much any auto parts store, maybe even Walmart. Do a search on YouTube to see vid explaining how-to.

Cleaning MAF sensor is so easy, you should never pay a mechanic to do it.

You may find your MAF to be damaged or broken. If so, that may be the root of your problem. However, that "should" be throwing a code or three, so I doubt that is the problem..

Best of luck...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
There is no MAF on the 2013, only a 2011, and even then its not functional. There are 3 map sensors on trucks after 2011. But yes you could clean em.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You're experienced enough, you probably already know about these tricks, so if I'm being too simple, I apologize.

First off, have your dealer reset your KAM or CAM memory. (If they don't know what that is, you should find a smarter dealer). My dealer is great, and even resets mine for free if I'm having other work done. Otherwise, they charge about $39.

Clean your mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Buy the appropriate CRC kit from pretty much any auto parts store, maybe even Walmart. Do a search on YouTube to see vid explaining how-to.

Cleaning MAF sensor is so easy, you should never pay a mechanic to do it.

You may find your MAF to be damaged or broken. If so, that may be the root of your problem. However, that "should" be throwing a code or three, so I doubt that is the problem..

Best of luck...

You can reset your KAM by disconnecting your battery and leaving your headlights on to fully discharge. Then it should reset.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts