F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We just finished a 10 day camping trip up to Lake Vallecito near Durango, CO. If you ever get a chance to make it that way check out the Blue Spruce RV Campground. It's one of the best run and nicest campgrounds you can find!

I'm guessing my Toy Hauler packed (w/o a toy) is somewhere around 6800 pounds. We had about 10-15 gallons of fresh water, 10-15 gallons of fuel in the fuel station, and of course all of our camping gear.

The trip is about 850 miles and we broke it up into 2-3 hours stops. It never fails that I seem to hit a huge crosswind or head wind when towing. This trip was no different and yielded the worst gas mileage I've seen with the truck. Granted this is up hill most of the way. Speeds were between 55mph - 63mph.

First stop, 223 miles, 30 gallons @ 7.4MPG
Second stop, 128 miles, 15.5 gallons @ 8.2MPG
Third stop, 115 miles, 15.2 gallons @ 7.6MPG
Forth stop, 110 miles, 13.0 gallons @ 8.5MPG
Fifth stop, 214 miles, 23.4 gallons @ 9.1MPG

austin-durango-mpg1.JPG

austin-durango-mpg2.JPG

austin-durango-mpg3.JPG

austin-durango-mpg4.JPG

austin-durango-mpg5.JPG

Reactions: Old Guy

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
All things considered, uphill, headwind and a pretty good weight load -- thats really not that bad for a truck with the kind of power. Certainly, I would hope to see better but we are getting spoiled now a days with so much power on tap and such good gas mileage normally.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If I was on the same trip I would have been stopping constantly since I have the smaller 26 gallon tank.

All things considered those aren't too bad numbers.

SPPD

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's not about the fuel economy, it's about the journey. So turn off that darn MPG computer and start enjoying the memories made, not the fuel pumped.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention, this is running the pure stock tune. I had already filled up with 87 octane and didn't want to tune it along the trip just in case something happened. I'll have to try it again with the Edge Tuner using the "Tow Tune"

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It's not about the fuel economy, it's about the journey. So turn off that darn MPG computer and start enjoying the memories made, not the fuel pumped.
For some of us the amount spent on fuel directly impacts what else we can do to make memories.

SPPD

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
As stated.. Factoring in the wind, elevation increase to Chicago, and total weight (including passengers), 8 mpg isn't all that bad.

I have a friend with another brand truck who tows his 24' mastercraft from Houston to Austin. He averages about 6 mpg typically (he has a heavy foot as well).

Impressive set up by the way!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I towed a 23' Trailer all across the country on I-40 and averaged 9 to 10 MPG. I'm running an Edge Tuner set on the Economy Tune. When the wind was bad the mileage went down to 8 & 9. Wind and speed are the big factors determining mileage more so than weight. I've had diesels and gassers and I think 10 MPG is about all you will get with most any truck from gasoline to diesel towing a 23', 6000 lb. trailer. The Edge Tune increased about 50 HP "I think" and over a second quicker 0-60 times. No downside to the Edge tune so far.

In my opinion, you can only trust mileage calculated the "old fashion way" that is, by dividing miles driven by gallons of fuel added to same top off of tank. What is shown on the instrument read out is not accurate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got back from vacation to Pagosa springs Co. so I know exactly where you were. My family has been going to Bruce Spruce Ranch for generations, probably one of the best locations to stay in Colorado. I myself logged 13.2mpg @60mph pulling my 4000lb boat to colorado. However coming back we drove 65mph and has some crosswinds hit us in NM... she got 10.5mpg coming home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is a pic I took while climbing around treasure falls just up the road from Bruce Spruce. And the bottom picture is from the overlook looking down on the bruce spruce campground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the Blue Spruce Campground at Lake Vallecito CO. Well run, quiet and beautiful. Planning a trip there soon. I have a picture of my truck and travel trailer at the same pull-out near Abiquiu Lake New Mexico. As you well know, the wind in West Texas and New Mexico can be horrible and change gas mileage 2 or more mpg. Mpg also goes downhill fast as you go up in speed. The Vee front on your trailer is a great idea, wish mine had the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought my EcoBoost, love it running empty and have not towed with it yet but....after reading these experiences I am glad I have a cummins to tow with. My toy hauler is 32 foot 3 axle and will fit my can am max and three dirt bikes. Running between here and flagstaff az and back I average 12.5 mpgs and run the speed limit with out pushing it hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts