F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Dr. Ecoboost,

I have a few issues going on and hope I can put them into words well enough that a few of you can chime in. 2013 SCrew 3.7 EB 90k miles.
It all started with a CEL and a fluid leak... found out bad cats and a turbo leak. The dealership decided the leak could be fixed with new turbo lines (which apparently takes a lot digging to get back to them. Thankfully that was covered by warranty.) The cats were not covered so I decided for the money it would take to replace them, I would put it towards a downpipe. I ended up getting 3" catted Y and put a 3" single exit catback on that. CEL still on which is what I was expecting from what I have read on here and was planning on fixing that issue a little down the road. I have now come to realize how important of a tool the CEL is. Especially now that my truck is running rough.

So the current issue/s that I could use some guidance on:
New code- P0246:00AF Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator A High
P0420 and P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Less than Threshold- Bank #1 and #2

The exhaust system was just installed 4 of 5 days ago. Since, the truck feels sluggish. Gas pedal feels a little stiffer. The truck sounds great at idle and runs good around town driving conservatively. At heavy acceleration and at 60mph or better I get a hesitation or sputter where the truck just gives out for a second. It is a pretty good jolt. MPG has slightly decreased. My AC is intermittent as well. Fan motor running fine, but low/weak air flow in the cab. This all stated at the same time making me think they are related.

Is the wastegate actuator something the dealership may have messed up when they were replacing the turbo lines? Is this something I could fix or is it gonna take a pro? Am I dumping fuel because my 02 sensors are not adjusted to the new exhaust? Is there a way to turn off the 02 sensors or get them reading correctly short of a tune? Any other ideas of what is causing this?

I have been through a few threads on here about plugs, catch cans, cleaning 02 sensors, MAP/MAF. I am hoping to get my truck running how it should be running without replacing a bunch of parts that don't need replacing.

Thanks in advance for your input fellas. This is a great website for guys like me eager to learn more about their truck and how to possibly save a buck and a trip to the shop.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How come the cats were not covered? That is emission control item usually has a longer warranty then most other parts. Catalyst efficiency i wouldn't worry about for now. Wastegate actuator is more than likely your problem , start looking at the little vacuum lines going to each turbo , may have one that fell off or , dry rotted and cracked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe my emissions warranty expired at 75k miles and the power train is for 100k. It seems to me that bumper to bumper power train warranty is pretty much a fancy way of saying they cover engine and transmission problems. I will check for bad lines today. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I believe my emissions warranty expired at 75k miles and the power train is for 100k. It seems to me that bumper to bumper power train warranty is pretty much a fancy way of saying they cover engine and transmission problems. I will check for bad lines today. Thanks.
Cats should be covered for 8 years/ 80K miles under the Federal emissions warranty.
If you have a bumper to bumper 100K warranty, I would dispute that they should cover it as well, but gotta read the fine print.

In regards to the wastegate code, I agree with checking vacuum lines.
The cat related codes are due to you not having cats anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts