F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I purchased a used 2013 Ecoboost 3.5L 4wd back in February. Due to a sketchy dealer and a crappy local Ford Dealership, my Beautiful Big Red has been in the shop for about half the time that I’ve owned it.

Here is the list of completed work
VCT Phasers & Timing Chain Replaced.
Cracked exhaust manifold replaced
Leak in the front differential
Faulty JMS Boostmax pulled (came with the truck)

My truck went into limp mode while driving through a sketchy canyon. I pulled the JMS boost controller. Truck is no longer going into limp mode.

I’m now getting P0299 and P2112 codes. The P0299 is permanent and the P2112 code is stored.

Before I order a replacement Blow off Valve and throttle body, I thought I would check to see if anyone had any recommendations. I love this truck and I really need it to get to and from work. I can negotiate rides while I trouble shoot but I need to figure out what’s going on sooner than later.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
Hello Friends,

I purchased a used 2013 Ecoboost 3.5L 4wd back in February. Due to a sketchy dealer and a crappy local Ford Dealership, my Beautiful Big Red has been in the shop for about half the time that I’ve owned it.

Here is the list of completed work
VCT Phasers & Timing Chain Replaced.
Cracked exhaust manifold replaced
Leak in the front differential
Faulty JMS Boostmax pulled (came with the truck)

My truck went into limp mode while driving through a sketchy canyon. I pulled the JMS boost controller. Truck is no longer going into limp mode.

I’m now getting P0299 and P2112 codes. The P0299 is permanent and the P2112 code is stored.

Before I order a replacement Blow off Valve and throttle body, I thought I would check to see if anyone had any recommendations. I love this truck and I really need it to get to and from work. I can negotiate rides while I trouble shoot but I need to figure out what’s going on sooner than later.

thanks in advance
I’ve heard sketchy things about boostmax, but, it sounds like you have some other things going on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve heard sketchy things about boostmax, but, it sounds like you have some other things going on
The boostmax definitely causing the limp mode, I still think my throttle body might be going bad tho. I’m due for an oil change so I’ll probably have them check it out. Ordered the Turbo Smart BOV after reading some other forum posts. I’m hoping those are the two things causing the issues.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
The boostmax definitely causing the limp mode, I still think my throttle body might be going bad tho. I’m due for an oil change so I’ll probably have them check it out. Ordered the Turbo Smart BOV after reading some other forum posts. I’m hoping those are the two things causing the issues.
Too bad you already ordered a Turbosmart BoV I have one I’d sell you for cheap

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Weep hole in the CAC? Pull the plugs and look for hairline cracks in the porcelain.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Turbosmart. Just make sure when you install it that you clock the vacuum line...meaning look into the hole and make sure it is lined up with the opening of the outlet on the banjo. There are four possible points to consider. If you don't track with me I can provide pictures.

I agree with @DNA Dan check those plugs, matter of fact replace them along with the boots. Chances are they have not been replaced and really need to be anyway. That is a huge issue on these motors, not a bad thing, just understand that 30K miles is about all a set of plugs is good for.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
The P0299 code is an underboost code. May just be a tear in the eBOV diaphragm. Very common. I recommend staying with the OEM eBOV.

If the diaphragm is fine then you have a charge-pipe/coupler loose somewhere.

The P2112 code almost always points to a TB failure. The throttle body will most likely need replacing. That will also throw the truck into limp-mode.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
I agree with @SrpRacing in regards to the codes.

Replacing the BOV is simply "preference" as it will do nothing for performance and will likely not address the issue at hand.

It is possible as was in my case that your diaphragm is torn. I went through two then just replaced with the Turbosmart.

Have not yet had a throttle body issue but I am certain it is coming.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Throttle bodies are hit or miss. There was a 2-3 year manufacturing period of defective throttle bodies. Some were installed on vehicles and others were packaged as parts. A “recall” was never thrown out.

But they do wear out overtime. There’s no real ETA on the life of them.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
On other vehicles it was considered "witchcraft" to upgrade the throttle body for more "airflow" I am not sure it really does anything on these things. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
On other vehicles it was considered "witchcraft" to upgrade the throttle body for more "airflow" I am not sure it really does anything on these things. Thoughts?
There is no real gain at all going to a bigger throttle body on these trucks. If you haven’t noticed - they’re huge. The calibration also modulates the throttle blade, really defeats the purpose.

If anything you’re downgrading as the quality of the electronics are poor.

However - the GT supercar actually uses the throttle body from the 5.2l V8. Not sure if it would work on our trucks. That would really be the only choice of upgrading. Very expensive tho.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
That is what I have heard, thus I have not dropped the coin to do it. I did remove and clean the OEM unit, as it was on the dirty side. But it still functions as it should.

On the LS engines I have built, upgrading was in fact a huge improvement over OEM. Laying the factory next to the upgraded unit, you can see the difference.

On these? Being a factory FI engine, to me it shouldn't really matter...just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts