F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a magnaflow cat back dual system on my truck and it seems that I have lost power since then. It hesitates worse than before and idles rough when cold. I had an issue early on with 2 cylinders misfiring and Ford replaced all 6 a about 20xxx miles. Any one else have issues after exhaust upgrades??? Would getting a tuner help???

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi there, what size piping on the catback? Ford replaced all 6 what? Coilpacks? Spark plugs? Pistons?

A tuner would help to compensate for the lower RPM torque loss for sure, but many people have found that with a 4" single exhaust the truck seems to lose a little torque down low. I would imagine the same effect would be present if you're running dual 2.5" or 3" pipe. However if you're having a performance problem because of worn parts this won't help, and may just make the problem worse.

How many miles are on the truck? How old are the spark plugs? What grade of fuel are you running?

Reactions: Elmore328

·
Banned
508 Posts
You have the stutter / misfire problem that these engines get. Change your spark plugs to sp534 gapped to .030. Then drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler. You will be stutter/ misfire - proof.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fastenova- Ford replace the coilpacks and the plugs @ around 15-20xxx miles. I only have 35xxx on it now. I do not tow much, mostly just pretty docile daily driving. The exhaust is stock to the muffler and then split into to twin pipes with 3" pipes to the tips. Everything else is in good condition. I had the TSB performed that removed the plastic baffles and re-flashed the PCM. I feels like the hesitation is from the trans, which Ford also worked on, but I can't remember what they replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Does drilling a weep hole cause any ill effects from a pressure standpoint??? Isn't the system under pressure??? Won't putting a hole in it effect that??? I'm new to direct injection.
In a short answer no.
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/14-f150-ecoboost-maintenance/9100-pee-hole-my-cac.html
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/16742-drilled-weep-hole.html
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/14559-weep-hole-picture.html

Reactions: Elkhart

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, read the links Mr B posted. Basically, yes, there is a tiny pressure leak, but it doesn't matter because the wastegates are regulating pressure and the system is MAP based, so it doesn't care how much air comes in the system, all it cares about is the pressure after the throttle body (intake manifold pressure) and that is what it uses to calculate fuel injector duty cycle (along with throttle opening and the fueling tables programmed in the ECU). The minuscule pressure leak WOULD be a concern in a MAF based system. And, the pressure drop is so small that 'overworking the turbos' is not a concern. And this is not any different between port injection and direct injection motors.

If the hesitation you're feeling has always been there, then it's probably just throttle lag... welcome to Ford's factory drive by wire programming. A tune will increase tip-in (how the system reacts to the skinny pedal) and feel MUCH more responsive, including the impression of transmission sluggishness.

I'm not sure that having dual 3" outlets after the muffler will change anything, as you still have the factory resonator in place, so backpressure shouldn't have really decreased.

And it definitely can't hurt to pull the plugs, and if they are in good condition, check the gap and set to .030 if they are not there now. Depending on when the plugs were replaced, they may or may not be gapped properly, as I don't believe Ford dealerships check or set the gap on these - they are "factory gapped and not user-gappable" but we all know that's a lie. =) This is a 30-60 minute process if it's your first time, and obviously if they boots have any tracking you will want to replace those as well. Total cost of plugs and boots should be <$50.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, read the links Mr B posted. Basically, yes, there is a tiny pressure leak, but it doesn't matter because the wastegates are regulating pressure and the system is MAP based, so it doesn't care how much air comes in the system, all it cares about is the pressure after the throttle body (intake manifold pressure) and that is what it uses to calculate fuel injector duty cycle (along with throttle opening and the fueling tables programmed in the ECU). The minuscule pressure leak WOULD be a concern in a MAF based system. And, the pressure drop is so small that 'overworking the turbos' is not a concern. And this is not any different between port injection and direct injection motors.

If the hesitation you're feeling has always been there, then it's probably just throttle lag... welcome to Ford's factory drive by wire programming. A tune will increase tip-in (how the system reacts to the skinny pedal) and feel MUCH more responsive, including the impression of transmission sluggishness.

I'm not sure that having dual 3" outlets after the muffler will change anything, as you still have the factory resonator and restriction in place, so backpressure shouldn't have really decreased.And if

And it definitely can't hurt to pull the plugs, and if they are in good condition, check the gap and set to .030 if they are not there now. Depending on when the plugs were replaced, they may or may not be gapped properly, as I don't believe Ford dealerships check or set the gap on these - they are "factory gapped and not user-gappable" but we all know that's a lie. =) This is a 30-60 minute process if it's your first time, and obviously if they boots have any tracking you will want to replace those as well. Total cost of plugs and boots should be <$50.

Thanks I'm going to drill the weep hole this weekend and check the plugs. They should be good as they only have about 15xxx on them, but I won't hold my breath!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend. I've never paid attention to torque specs on plugs before, but this engine seems so sensitive, does it make a big difference if I snug the plugs in or do I need to actually torque them to the correct specs (~11 ft-lbs).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.