F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has had the timing chain and phasers replaced less about a year ago. Now it's scheduled to have the trans module reflashed because of the tendency of the truck to shift to low gear upon acceleration. This truck has done this this shift-down tendency since first coming new
off the lot. Anyone thinking there's a connection between this shift-down tendency and timing chain issues?

·
Registered
498 Posts
My truck has had the timing chain and phasers replaced less about a year ago. Now it's scheduled to have the trans module reflashed because of the tendency of the truck to shift to low gear upon acceleration. This truck has done this this shift-down tendency since first coming new
off the lot. Anyone thinking there's a connection between this shift-down tendency and timing chain issues?
thats interesting...you can't do the 2013 recall yet

DO NOT attempt repair on 2013 Model Year F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L engine at this time – software update will not available until 2nd Quarter, 2019. There is only one 3.5L engine on 2013MY F-150, and claims will be rejected in OWS until the software update is available.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
thats interesting...you can't do the 2013 recall yet
I'm with him. Just DJ being who he is to this platform is enough for me. But I also have a 2013, and I have received no such letter telling me to schedule for this, except the initial letter stating the software wont be available for 2013 year til later on.

I'd double check with this, unless you have a surplus of time on your hands and don't mind killing some of it to drive to, and hang at the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stand corrected: I received an initial letter about trans module too. Service rep said something about October at the earliest. So my truck remains to be scheduled for a fix much later. I'm still supposing a possible connection between the trans module and timing chain issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes that's what he is saying.
You've seen the size of that timing chain? It's puny and will fit in the palm of my hand...and it's serpentine, going about an idler. The 5.0 has at least 4 chains in the front of the engine. Two are timing chains running off the crank. PS: you may already know all this. Too bad I didn't find out about the timing-chain configuration and the associated issues before I bought the truck in '13. I think the timng chain configuration is a crappy design on the ecoboost.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i still don't see a connection, i would be more concerned with the transmission spewing parts all over the place rather than the motor grenading

·
Registered
513 Posts
I doubt the downshift would cause issues with the gen 1 timing chain. Far more likely is Ford's longer oil change intervals, turbo/DI soot accumulation (carbon particles that are too small for the filter to catch and highly abrasive to wear the chain) along with fuel dilution issues. Yup, it's one long chain, but with more frequent oil changes, solid higher viscosity oils with an HTHS ratings above 3.5cP, you can mitigate a lot of the stretch/wear issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a phone call from the Dealer telling me of the problem and asking how soon I could come in for the fix, that was at the end of February. I ha it done days later.
I have a 2013 SCrew.
Nad

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
839 Posts
Doubtful. The 2013 software rev isn't out til Quarter 2 of this year. Love to see a detailed account of what they actually did to your truck. I'd be wondering if I were you.

EDIT: I see you must be one of those people that read the very first post, ignore the rest, and post away. Sure wouldn't have posted that you had the fix done on a 2013 if you had read post #2....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my timing chain done in January under warranty. Today i am dropping it off for more warranty work for the turbo making a fluttering sound upon the first hard acceleration. I got my '13 almost 2 years ago now, and have put over 50k miles on it, never have experienced this down shifting issue. However, the point of my story is that they mentioned the recall when talking to the service counter, and will be performing it while it's in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 SCREW 3.5EB. the tranny downshift problem first happened to me on feb 9th. Then again on feb. 16th. Each time, I pulled over, shut it down, and restarted. Then it would be ok. However, on feb 24th. It did it again... 4th to 1st. Speedo shuts down. And I again pulled over to restart it. No good! It took 3 restarts this time. 3 days later... I can't even drive it! In and out of gear. The dealer and Ford corporate is of no help.

Will they supply a loaner? Nope
Will they reimburse for a rental? Nope

The recall notice days that "your vehicle is safe to drive" HELL NO it isn't!

And still no sign of a fix yet. The 2nd quarter started on April 1.
And we are half way through it now.

This blows!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2013 SCREW 3.5EB. the tranny downshift problem first happened to me on feb 9th. Then again on feb. 16th. Each time, I pulled over, shut it down, and restarted. Then it would be ok. However, on feb 24th. It did it again... 4th to 1st. Speedo shuts down. And I again pulled over to restart it. No good! It took 3 restarts this time. 3 days later... I can't even drive it! In and out of gear. The dealer and Ford corporate is of no help.

Will they supply a loaner? Nope
Will they reimburse for a rental? Nope

The recall notice days that "your vehicle is safe to drive" HELL NO it isn't!

And still no sign of a fix yet. The 2nd quarter started on April 1.
And we are half way through it now.

This blows!
You are right it is not safe.

If you are only making phone calls, I would recommend to go directly to your dealership and speak with the service manager.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2012 and received the same letter. I haven not had an issue and I have over 100000 miles on the truck. Had the trans reflashed now wish I had not had it done today truck shifts like S***.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts