F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a internet sales manager at a ford dealership in arizona and I have sold many f150s...I just bought a f150 xlt ecoboost and I was wanting to know how to breakin this motor thr right way ...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The only thing the owners manual says is to not pull for the first 1000 miles. Then when you do pull, not to go over 70 and avoid full throttle starts for the next 500. WELL.....It is my opinion that the dealerships are in the market to sell you a new vehicle. I go a bit more in depth, the way I break-in a new motor was the way that made sense to me. For the first 500 miles I try to keep the vehicle in-town driving only. It gives the engine multiply rpm ranges and really no load with lots of hot, cold cycles, get up to speed quickly without full throttle. For the next 1000 miles I am not affraid to take it out on the road and drive it. Still no wide open and vary the speed and rpm, NO cruise control. Then I change oil and DO NOT run synthetic because it is to slippery to break-in the engine correctly. After that I drive it normal with and with out the cruise, and DO give it wide open throttle. After the next 1500 miles (total of 3000) I change the oil again and go with full synthetic and drive it like I normally would.

Most of all, enjoy your new 'booster! Congrats!

Reactions: Mark

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! The EcoBeast is an amazing vehicle and you will love it.
There are many different thoughts about break-in procedures.
My philosophy is just follow the manufacturers recommendations.
In general I say just drive the truck. Don't use cruise or Tow, and try not to beat on the truck during the first 1k and you will be all good.

SPPD

Reactions: Mark

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I agree with sppd.

Reactions: SPPD

·
Registered
32 Posts
I broke ours in like all my other vehicles. Jump in it and go, did a 5000 km road trip to Vegas. Have never had an engine failure yet.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Here is my recommendation

As much as I love my eco boost, I wish I'd gotten the v8. It is not getting better gas mileage. I don't tow. The v8 will probably be more reliable. So you are lucky. You can take yours to service while you are at work and don't even need the shuttle. I wouldn't baby it or run full throttle for the first few thousand and because we have turbos, change the oil every 3-5k.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Rex, most people worry with a TT v6. BUT the EB engine has been tested publicly and still stands as the superior gas motor in trucks. There isn't a truck with the power / fuel economy / efficiency / tow capability as the truck you now own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my new 2013 Eco-boost on Friday and asked the same question to the dealership manager and he said they use to run the engines in the first 1,000 to 3,000 miles with break in oil and then pull them into the dealership for the first oil change, but all has changed. He said all the engine parts are pre-lubricated at the factory before assembly and now you can get in your truck in Delaware and run to Alaska if you wanted, no problems. As an ASE master tech for over 15 years and a certified Ford diesel mechanic I would have to agree with this new process. I always pre-lubed bearing, piston rings with synthetic oil prior to assembly and ran the engines for maybe and hour to check for leaks and then it was "off to the races". Never had a problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Two posts, both trolling a v8 on an Ecoboost forum....
And resurrecting a 8 month old thread.

Reported as spam.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
As much as I love my eco boost, I wish I'd gotten the v8. It is not getting better gas mileage. I don't tow. The v8 will probably be more reliable. So you are lucky. You can take yours to service while you are at work and don't even need the shuttle. I wouldn't baby it or run full throttle for the first few thousand and because we have turbos, change the oil every 3-5k.
Its hard to question the reliability when the truck has 4 years of production. From your post, you are guessing it may have issues.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Um ? You own a white extended cab 8 foot box on other forums. For 21K I believe. Special order. Please just because you got banned from the other forums. Don't be harassing us here with your anti ecoboost, anti turbo negativity ideas.

Thanks. & if you just by chance have the same name but actually drive an ecoboost. Change it. RexReid has a very bad reputation for starting arguments.

My 0.02 which as we all know. Doesn't make cents as the government deleted the penny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts