F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from others having any of these issues or anyone who has had the correct fix done.

1st Issue - Rough idle after starting until truck warms up

Dealers findings and fix:
FOUND MISFIRES ON ALL CYLINDERS AT RANDOM FOR SEVERAL MINUTES AFTER COLD START. REMOVED NUMBER 1 SPARK PLUG FOUND EXCESSIVE CARBON ON #1 INTAKE VALVES. REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD, INSPECTED ALL 12 INTAKE VALVES, ALL SHOWED SIGNIFICANT CARBON BUILDUP. CLEANED VALVES WITH WALNUT SHELL BLAST MEDIA. TESTED CONCERN STILL PRESENT. REMOVED ALL 6 SPARK PLUGS, FOUND EXCESSIVE CARBON BUILDUP ON PLUGS AS WELL, REPLACED ALL SPARK PLUGS. CUSTOMER IS GOING TO TAKE VEHICLE TO REASSESS.

Fixed? No still idles rough. Took vehicle back in a month later.

VERIFIED SLIGHT ROUGH IDLE WHEN COLD. CONCERN IS CHARACTERISTIC OF GDTI ENGINES, COMPARED TO MULTIPLE LIKE VEHICLES.

Fixed? No still idles rough. After everything they did fixing it the first time now it's characteristic of GDTI engines? Does anyone else have this issue?

2nd Issue - Sync screen display stops or freezes up:

COULD NOT VERIFY CONCERN, CK OASIS, NO TSB/SSM. PERFORMED APIM AND ACM SELF TEST, NO DTCS, CHECKED FOR AVAILABLE SOFTWARE UPDATES, APIM IS AT LATEST LEVEL. NPF.

Fixed? No

2nd Time to Dealer:
REPROGRAMMED GPSM AS PER #45242 AND PERFORMED APIM RESET...VERIFIED REPAIR.

Fixed? Just got back yesterday I'll report back.

3rd Issue - Unusual noise during down shifting when passing:

INSPECT AND NO CODES, CHECKED OASIS NO CONCERNS
2nd Time to Dealer 5 months later:
INSPECT AND NO CODES, CHECKED OASIS NO CONCERNS, ROAD TEST AND NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD DURING DOWNSHIFT.

Fixed? No, I so I went in and drove it with the service technician.

2nd Time to Dealer 5 months later after they told me the couldn't replicate the noise:
ROAD TEST WITH CUSTOMER AND AT 60 MPH HEARD THE NOISE...SOUNDS LIKE IT'S COMING FROM THE REAR OR RIGHT FRONT AREA (I TOLD HIM IT'S THE RIGHT FRONT) INSPECT VEHICLE AND NO CONCERNS FOUND, ROAD TEST AGAIN AND FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT NOISE IS HEARD FROM THE RIGHT FRONT. IN 4X4 AUTO OR 4X4 HIGH NOISE IS GONE... IN 4X2 THE NOISE RETURNS POSSIBLE FRONT IWE CONCERN. REPLACED RIGHT FRONT IWE, ROAD TEST AND NO NOISE HEARD, VERIFIED REPAIR.

Fixed? I don't know yet, we just got the truck back yesterday. I will let you know!!

Frustrated Loyal Ford Customer Who Is Losing Loyalty To Ford.....

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
If squealing sound upon acceleration. ...exhaust manifold, drivers or passenger side.
Rough idle (mine just started doing this)...I'm thinking throttlebody. Theirs a member on here that had his replaced by Ford - fixed the issue.
Truck doesn't necessarily throw a wrench light if the manifold gasket is warped - mine did not, but I suspect the ECM/PCM will detect.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
If squealing sound upon acceleration. ...exhaust manifold, drivers or passenger side.
Rough idle (mine just started doing this)...I'm thinking throttlebody. Theirs a member on here that had his replaced by Ford - fixed the issue.
Truck doesn't necessarily throw a wrench light if the manifold gasket is warped - mine did not, but I suspect the ECM/PCM will detect.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
While true, this is not the fix for his 3rd issue, I promise you that. He is not squealing upon accelerating, it is only on the downshift to 3rd gear from 5th and 6th gears (as provided in his video).

OP, the 3rd issue you list is solved by performing TSB-14-0100. Tell you dealer you want this TSB performed and DEMAND they perform it. It is a $50-ish kit (Motorcraft part # XL-16 6R ATF Additive Kit). Read my posts here about it:

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...3-downshift-squawk-noise-tsb-14-0100-a-6.html

I had the exact same thing and can even post videos if you'd like onto YouTube. My dealerhsips around town kept giving me the run-around about both performing the TSB and not even helping me to buy the parts myself. I ended up going to the FordPartsGiant website and ordering it myself for only $39. 10 min later in my own driveway I corrected the issue.

The kit is a friction modifier fluid that alters the viscosity of the trans fluid slightly. The problem comes from (based on research I've done) of some of our clutch packs being cut "too-sharp" and having sharp edges that when they grab on the down shift, they will "squawk" when they grab. I am sure there are more technical reasoning and data behind it, but the main details seem to be this. The XL-16 modifier will solve your problem.

Read my posts in the link above and look at my pics I posted, it'll explain everything.

And whatever fix the dealership provided DID NOT fix that noise, I promise you that. Go drive your truck hard and get the trans up to 195 F or higher and take the dealer service manager for a ride. Be cruising with the truck in 5th gear (lock out 6th gear using the +/- button) doing about 60-65 mph. Quickly give it about 2/3 throttle to make it shift to 3rd and it should make the noise. If it doesn't, let it get back to 5th, cruise for another 10 seconds or so, and then do it again. When the trans is this warm is should make the noise every single time (as proved true by me and several others here who had this issue and solved it with TSB-14-0100).

Your front IWEs are not bad (and were not bad before their attempted fix). The hub actuators going out make a constant grinding/squealing noise no matter what gear or speed you're at (noise increases with speed obviously). Tell them to look up and perform TSB-14-0100 and don't back off on making them do it.

If worst comes to worst, just order it yourself as I did since the "stealerships" can be so darn tough to deal with sometimes and you'll end up wasting more in fuel driving back and forth than it'd cost to order the Xl-16 kit yourself.

Another question Darth: have you experienced any buzzing or groaning noises when starting up the truck and shifting (when truck is slightly warm/been sitting a few hours since last running)? There is TSB-14-0134 associated with this noise. Just curious as I had both noises seem to start appearing around the same time. I finally found a good dealership to help me get 0134 performed no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...Fixed? I don't know yet, we just got the truck back yesterday. I will let you know!!

Frustrated Loyal Ford Customer Who Is Losing Loyalty To Ford.....
Hi Darth Vader,

Welcome to the forum! I want to do what I can to help out with these issues. How many miles are on your truck currently? Regarding your SYNC concern, I recommend reaching out to my colleagues on the in-vehicle technology team. Here's a link to their profile: View Profile: FordIVTteam - F150 Ecoboost Forum

Crystal

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't care about rough idle on cold start up. The funny noise while downshifting to 3rd gear (horn noise) there is a tsb for it, I just decided to buy the stuff myself for $50 and put it in. It is a friction modifier that goes into your tranny and there is others who have tried it and it worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
While true, this is not the fix for his 3rd issue, I promise you that. He is not squealing upon accelerating, it is only on the downshift to 3rd gear from 5th and 6th gears (as provided in his video).

OP, the 3rd issue you list is solved by performing TSB-14-0100. Tell you dealer you want this TSB performed and DEMAND they perform it. It is a $50-ish kit (Motorcraft part # XL-16 6R ATF Additive Kit). Read my posts here about it:

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...3-downshift-squawk-noise-tsb-14-0100-a-6.html

I had the exact same thing and can even post videos if you'd like onto YouTube. My dealerhsips around town kept giving me the run-around about both performing the TSB and not even helping me to buy the parts myself. I ended up going to the FordPartsGiant website and ordering it myself for only $39. 10 min later in my own driveway I corrected the issue.

The kit is a friction modifier fluid that alters the viscosity of the trans fluid slightly. The problem comes from (based on research I've done) of some of our clutch packs being cut "too-sharp" and having sharp edges that when they grab on the down shift, they will "squawk" when they grab. I am sure there are more technical reasoning and data behind it, but the main details seem to be this. The XL-16 modifier will solve your problem.

Read my posts in the link above and look at my pics I posted, it'll explain everything.

And whatever fix the dealership provided DID NOT fix that noise, I promise you that. Go drive your truck hard and get the trans up to 195 F or higher and take the dealer service manager for a ride. Be cruising with the truck in 5th gear (lock out 6th gear using the +/- button) doing about 60-65 mph. Quickly give it about 2/3 throttle to make it shift to 3rd and it should make the noise. If it doesn't, let it get back to 5th, cruise for another 10 seconds or so, and then do it again. When the trans is this warm is should make the noise every single time (as proved true by me and several others here who had this issue and solved it with TSB-14-0100).

Your front IWEs are not bad (and were not bad before their attempted fix). The hub actuators going out make a constant grinding/squealing noise no matter what gear or speed you're at (noise increases with speed obviously). Tell them to look up and perform TSB-14-0100 and don't back off on making them do it.

If worst comes to worst, just order it yourself as I did since the "stealerships" can be so darn tough to deal with sometimes and you'll end up wasting more in fuel driving back and forth than it'd cost to order the Xl-16 kit yourself.

Another question Darth: have you experienced any buzzing or groaning noises when starting up the truck and shifting (when truck is slightly warm/been sitting a few hours since last running)? There is TSB-14-0134 associated with this noise. Just curious as I had both noises seem to start appearing around the same time. I finally found a good dealership to help me get 0134 performed no questions asked.
Mike thanks for the info. No I haven't heard the BUZZ sound yet. I will listen a little more carefully and let you know. I am heading over the mountain passes this weekend so I will let you all know if the noise is gone or the BUZZ is there.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was not the front IWE as Mike and others thought. Made the noise again so it's back in the shop. I guess we will see if it they find the issue. I am having them check the carbon build up on the plugs and intake valves also.

One good thing, I do have a new 2015 loaner F-150 to use while it's in the shop.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, it was not the front IWE as Mike and others thought. Made the noise again so it's back in the shop. I guess we will see if it they find the issue. I am having them check the carbon build up on the plugs and intake valves also.

One good thing, I do have a new 2015 loaner F-150 to use while it's in the shop.
How you liking thew 2015?

Keep us updated on what they say about the carbon and what not

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Thanks for the update, Darth Vader! Could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck? I want to research ways to help.

Crystal

·
Registered
903 Posts

Like I said, demand that they pull up TSB-14-0100 while you are sitting there at the service manager's desk. He has the access and can instantly pull all TSBs for any Ford vehicle ever built. Once he pulls it up, demand that they perform that TSB. I don't get why they are beating around the bush here. Swapping IWEs and other parts when it is literally $50-ish ($39 if you buy it yourself through part vendors) and 5 min worth of work. Seriously, that easy/simple.

Don't back down...get TSB-14-0100 performed

Thanks for the update, Darth Vader! Could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck? I want to research ways to help.

Crystal
Best way to help is call up his dealership and tell them look up and perform TSB-14-0100. It's pathetic any dealership would rather let a truck sit in a shop searching for any part to replace instead of perform such a simple fix that would require the owner to be "without his truck" for the 30 min total he is at the dealership at max (seriously, it takes 5 min to inject the 9-10 mL of XL-16 friction modifier (F) fluid)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!!

Truck is still in the shop. had it back for a couple days and the noise is still there. They checked the TSB and don't think thats it. Now they say it's the turbo. Ill let you know...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Update!!

Truck is still in the shop. had it back for a couple days and the noise is still there. They checked the TSB and don't think thats it. Now they say it's the turbo. Ill let you know...
Thanks for the update, Darth Vader! I'd like to see what options are available to assist. Give me an estimate of your current mileage, and I'll get to work.

Crystal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts