F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
2013 Ecoboost is surging, during idle it’s shaking the truck slightly, but when I’m driving down the road it feels like it’s surging, rpm gage is surging around 300rpm difference. When it’s on the higher PRM of the surge there’s this faint vibration that seems to be coming from the bottom somewhere, vibration at 70mph is around 2 Second intervals.
I cleaned the MAP sensors and drilled the Intercooler, replaced the tires, shocks and struts but it’s still doing the same thing. Steering is nice and straight.. kind of wonder if it could be the driveline or torque converter.
Anybody had something similar? What was the problem? Thanks,

·
Registered
561 Posts
No brake pads dragging or anything like that? Process of elimination is going to be king here. Sounds like you have a good start on eliminating some of the usual suspects.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t think it’s the brakes, but i guess it’s possible.
But why would it only vibrate when it’s on the upper side of the RPM?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hi,
2013 Ecoboost is surging, during idle it’s shaking the truck slightly, but when I’m driving down the road it feels like it’s surging, rpm gage is surging around 300rpm difference. When it’s on the higher PRM of the surge there’s this faint vibration that seems to be coming from the bottom somewhere, vibration at 70mph is around 2 Second intervals.
I cleaned the MAP sensors and drilled the Intercooler, replaced the tires, shocks and struts but it’s still doing the same thing. Steering is nice and straight.. kind of wonder if it could be the driveline or torque converter.
Anybody had something similar? What was the problem? Thanks,
The suspension, tires or brakes are not going to be making it idle different.
Have you replaced the spark plugs?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't see that you've replaced spark plugs, as Noodles had said. You have a weep hole and already cleaned MAP sensors (There are 3). If you havent swapped plugs in the last 30K or so, I would try that. Also inspect your old plugs for any kind of cracks, as this is definitely an issue that's been seen. Might also pull battery cables, turn on the headlights to drain the power out for 5-10 mins, so your computer resets.

It doesn't seem like drive line or anything like that, and I would be solely targeting that idle and see if that clears up your other issues you're having at speed.

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Maybe try cleaning the MAF sensors? I have a rough idle. New plugs did not help. MAF are next on my to do list.

FYI, your 2014 doesn't have a MAF sensor. Only the 2011-2012 trucks had one. The 2013-2014 had 3 MAP sensors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definately check your spark plugs. Don't trust the pregapping.

Ford has changed the recommended gapping for the EcoBoost several times.

Gapping as small as .026 has been recommended however for your truck I would stick with .028. Most of the pregapped spark plugs will be gapped to .032 and you should close up the gap.

Also, I would recommend finding full iridium spark plugs instead of just iridium tipped plugs because the EB GDI tends to burn up normal spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, got the spark plugs replaced, truck is still surging, it’s better at idle but on cruise it’s surging about the width of the dial indicator. I’m assuming it’s either the boost or the torque converter. Wondering what it could be.
Replaced the plugs and boots today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oil leak between engine and transmission, could that be another sign?
I have the oil leak between my engine and transmission. I believe it is fairly common. It does not leave a mark on my garage floor or cause the oil level to go down. I think it is only leaking under acceleration/boost when moving. Read up on other threads to find out more info. I check my oil level regularly. If it starts to go down, or leaves a spot on my garage floor, I will get it fixed.

If you have transmission fluid leaking out of the same spot, might be a transmission problem (torque converter?).

IMG_20190203_201120800.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oil leak between engine and transmission, could that be another sign?
I'd figure out how bad, and what fluid is leaking from that. Not certain this will point to your issue, but clues are clues. If you already suspect a torque converter, this leak is in the area. I'm not familiar with transmissions, so I wont speculate on this. But I do like to eliminate variables and follow the clues when i'm looking for a root of a problem. This may have to be the route you take for this. You're off to a good start.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have the oil leak between my engine and transmission. I believe it is fairly common. It does not leave a mark on my garage floor or cause the oil level to go down. I think it is only leaking under acceleration/boost when moving. Read up on other threads to find out more info. I check my oil level regularly. If it starts to go down, or leaves a spot on my garage floor, I will get it fixed.

If you have transmission fluid leaking out of the same spot, might be a transmission problem (torque converter?).

View attachment 157960
I'm guessing your rear main seal is leaking. Keep an eye on it, as it won't get better over time, and it looks like it's more than just weeping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vrooom, did you ever solve your surging issue? I have a 2012 Platinum w/ 105k miles that is doing the same thing. I've replaced plugs, coils, cleaned map sensors, replaced throttle body, drilled weep hole, completed all SBs and the damned surge won't go away.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no, planning on doing it soon, but im pretty sure and 100 percent convinced it's my torque converter.

Vrooom, did you ever solve your surging issue? I have a 2012 Platinum w/ 105k miles that is doing the same thing. I've replaced plugs, coils, cleaned map sensors, replaced throttle body, drilled weep hole, completed all SBs and the damned surge won't go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no, planning on doing it soon, but im pretty sure and 100 percent convinced it's my torque converter.
Vrooom, did you end up getting the torque converter replaced? I took my truck to the dealership and did a test drive with one of the mechanics. I played a video of the surging while under cruise control and he saw it in real time during the test drive. He was puzzled and felt it was a misfire but then wasn't sure when it went away under full throttle. My truck did finally throw a P0446 code but it still has not triggered the CEL or the wrench light.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i took it to a transmission shop that told me the transmission clutch plates are almost worn off, was a puller for lots of miles didn't get oil changed or anything, truck is no longer surging. he commented that this tranny was the worst one they got in that week. however he was surprised how well it shifted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts