F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Chelan, WA. Currently driving an '06 Powerstroke 4x4 CC and considering purchase of a second truck, either 2013 F150 Limited or FX4. Wife and I drove the Limited and liked it. No experience yet with the FX4. Wondering if I can put snow tires on the Limited in the wintertime? I would buy a separate set of 20" wheels with snowtires for the wintertime, but I don't want to mess with the Limited's computer or sport-tuned suspension (factory set for the standard 22" wheels). I suppose if I purchased the FX4 I would not need the extra snow tires. Any thoughts on driving the Limited vs FX4 with respect to handling on dry roads? The Limited has a 3.73 read end, and the FX4 would have a 3.55. Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
For an extra $100 you can special order an FX4 with a 3.73 rear end in case that is a deal breaker. I don't know if the limited has an AWD option versus 4WD on the FX4, otherwise I would think the only difference in snow performance would boil down to tread design.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I have an fx4 with 3.73 and I love it. I am 22, so the fx4 appealed more to me. The limited felt more like an older persons truck. I think the fx4 is a pretty comfortable truck and handles great on pavement. I think it would really hinge on what truck would appeal to you more in terms of style. Both will drive great in the snow, but the fx4 is more customizable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2013 FX4 Super Crew. This is my second FX4 Super Crew. I just sold my oldest my 07.

When I ordered my 2013 I wanted it as close to my 07 as I could. Since my 07 had 3.73 I wanted 3.73 in my 2013. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 3.55 the power of the EB vs. the 5.4 is fantastic!

Btw: I have and had the 18" wheels and tires on both.

And I just drove my 13 in the first snow of the year. And with the traction control and locking diff. Unless you driving in drifts of deep deep snow. Most any tire selection should be fine.

On your first set of replacement tires go with the Michelin MS/2 or AT/2 and you will be fine. IMO I just wish Ford would use the Michelin on the 150's like the do on the SD's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2013 FX4 Super Crew. This is my second FX4 Super Crew. I just sold my oldest my 07.

When I ordered my 2013 I wanted it as close to my 07 as I could. Since my 07 had 3.73 I wanted 3.73 in my 2013. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 3.55 the power of the EB vs. the 5.4 is fantastic!

Btw: I have and had the 18" wheels and tires on both.

And I just drove my 13 in the first snow of the year. And with the traction control and locking diff. Unless you driving in drifts of deep deep snow. Most any tire selection should be fine.

On your first set of replacement tires go with the Michelin MS/2 or AT/2 and you will be fine. IMO I just wish Ford would use the Michelin on the 150's like the do on the SD's.
My 2013 XLT SC came with Michelin AT's which I was surprised and pleased to see.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Limited gives you AWD and 4x4. I live in Ohio where we often get just enough snow to need more than 2WD on the side streets but don't need 4WD on the main roads (otherwise you're hoping and skipping all over). Personally, I love the AWD because it's the best of both worlds. Limited has that, but I'm not sure if the FX4 is available with it or not. Love the way the FX4 looks though.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
The Limited gives you AWD and 4x4. I live in Ohio where we often get just enough snow to need more than 2WD on the side streets but don't need 4WD on the main roads (otherwise you're hoping and skipping all over). Personally, I love the AWD because it's the best of both worlds. Limited has that, but I'm not sure if the FX4 is available with it or not. Love the way the FX4 looks though.
FX4 does not have auto 4X4.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you referring to the "4A" position on the selector switch? My lariat has this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes...the 4A. I really like that option, but I'm sure it's effectivness and need are highly dependant on the weather where you live.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes...the 4A. I really like that option, but I'm sure it's effectivness and need are highly dependant on the weather where you live.
I do not tow much and really only have 4X4 for the snow. My first truck was full time AWD and was really nice in the rain and snow. Not sure if 4a is the same?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, I'm 35 and just bought the Limited, it's definitely an older persons truck. I LOVE IT. This is a truck for someone who wants it all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like my FX4 with appearance package, it looks so clean, so black, so bad a$$. I am nearly 50 now which is why the FX4 in all black with red trim appeal to me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Both are solid trucks Fx4 is sporty and the limited has the bling lol but both will get the job done. I'm a huge fan of the 2 speed transfer case (2wd, 4auto, 4Hi, 4low) bc the auto save on gas and engages flawlessly and smartly. and when in doubt I can lock it out (really didn't mean to bust a rhyme lol) that along with the fact it can be engaged at any speed into auto 4wd or 4wd high and done so on dry pavement with no harm to the system... Auto 4wd is supper for lightly covered snow road or rain heavy days... But like I said both are awesome truck and would be a tough call. Maybe sell the super duty and get them both lol!

·
Registered
151 Posts
HEY NOW! I'M 43 AND DRIVE AN FX4....Am I too old for this truck!lol. I love it! Seriously though I Live in close to the same environment as AK so you can believe me when I tell you, I drive around in 2wd most of the time in winter. I have my summer tires (20")and my winter tires (18") blizzaks. They are the same size on the outside. What I mean is they are the same circumference so that is a non issue. I always run summer and winter tires. believe it or not I think my tires last longer this way. you can't beat a winter tire on ice and snow. some Provinces in Canada have made it mandatory. And I agree with them. If I need to put my truck in 4x4 It's cuz I need it. I find my new truck too be so well balanced that there is no plow steer at all. She grips real good!

Reactions: AK-KingBoost

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Lol I'm not saying the fx4 is a young man only truck... I think an fx4 is a great truck for anyone, but I feel that the limited is not. More of a "limited" market lol.

Reactions: fx4 4fun

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am just to much of a basic guy I guess but I absolutely love my xlt but if I had to choose between the two you are looking at I would choose the fx4

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would suggest a truck with 18" wheels if you tow much. This is based on reading I have done on an RV site called open road. The truck handles better with the 18" tires apparently...if you don't plan on towing - then I wouldn't worry. Also the four wheel drive with a good set of all seasons on it will pretty much go anywhere you want to in snow. I wouldn't worry about an extra set of tires unless you plan on going through 2+ feet of snow on a consistent basis. This is based on owning 4x4s all my life and living through Nebraska winters. When we get snow, we get 3-5+ foot drifts. My 4x4s never had much trouble with this, as long as I didn't do anything silly. Then again, that is why I carry a good extraction tool (shovel) :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts