F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as the 2013 Ford F150's came out I immediately had a major case of truck envy. Every time I saw a new truck pass by with the new 2013 headlights my truck felt really old! As most of you know I'm waiting for the next generation of F150s to come out before upgrading but I needed a little something to help hold me over another year. That's when I ran across Raptor Retrofit a few weeks ago. They sold the factory 2013 F150 headlights along with a custom harness that made installation a breeze. A quick chat with the owner and I was sold. 3 days later a HUGE box showed up at my front door and it was go time!

Here's a few before photos:

f150-2013headlights-1.jpg

f150-2013headlights-2.jpg

Now on to the installation..

Reactions: 4Nines

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting the old headlights out probably took a total of about 3-4 minutes on each side.

There are 2 bolts on the top, 1 bolt on the side and there is one plastic screw holding in the rubber cover.

f150-2013headlights-03.jpg

f150-2013headlights-02.jpg

f150-2013headlights-01.jpg

f150-2013headlights-04.jpg

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mounted the relay part of the harness just next to the passenger headlight with a zip tie. It's easy to snake the positive wire behind right to the battery. I found two decent places for the ground wires on each side of the truck. Be sure to use sand paper to clean the areas up and remove some paint. I actually used a screw driver initially to mark those areas up pretty good and then followed with sand paper.

Relay mount location:

f150-2013headlights-05a.jpg

Passenger side ground location:

f150-2013headlights-05.jpg

Driver side ground location:

f150-2013headlights-05b.jpg

You will need one bolt/washer/nut for the driver side if you use this location. I used bolt that was already on the passenger side.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installed the new headlights using the existing parking light connectors and the new output connector for the headlight. There is an input to the relay that connects to the old headlight input.

f150-2013headlights-06.jpg

I ran the output wire from the relay to the drivers side headlight near the front bumper and secured it using zip tires. (I wish it was a tad longer, but it still works fine)

f150-2013headlights-07.jpg

and that's it!

f150-2013headlights-08.jpg

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks awesome and feels like I have a brand new truck again! The lights appear MUCH brighter then before. It is somewhat of an investment for the new lights, however for the looks and the ability to see better at night is certainly worth it to me. I also got a thumbs up from the wife after seeing the before and after photos. ;)

Here a few photos from this morning:

f150-2013headlights-15.jpg

f150-2013headlights-12.jpg

f150-2013headlights-11.jpg

Here's a link to the exact kit I bought: http://www.raptorretrofit.com/2013-hid-s/

·
Registered
17 Posts
You slipped the Boost Bars in too...looks great! Please report back on difference in light output.

Reactions: reider03

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice writeup! It definitely makes the front end of your truck look a lot more modern and tough. Hopefully you get the benefits of better light at night as well :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, those boost bars add a finished look to the front. I'll report back after I get more time behind the wheel at night.

You slipped the Boost Bars in too...looks great! Please report back on difference in light output.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Those look really good! How long did it take to install them?

UPDATE: I looked over their site (Raptor Retrofit) and I really love the look of their headlights. They really put a lot into the customizability of their product. The variety of colors and look is more than any other company that I have seen. The thing that puts me off about them is their prices. They are very expensive. I know that people will always say that you get what you pay for but it almost seems as though they are way overpriced. True, they have their own niche in the market and they have made a georgeous product but I do not see myself paying $1250+ for a pair of headlights.

Reactions: GeneralSantaAna

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The way I see is it, I'm just kind of "renting" these lights. Once I go to trade in the truck, I'll pull these off, sell them on ebay or the forum and probably get back most of my money. That and I hated the light out put on the stock 2012 headlights. I had a 2007 Tundra before and those headlights were awesome compared to the f150 headlights. That was one of my first complaints when I bought the truck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Excellent write up! Truck looks much better now.

·
Vendor
87 Posts
Great write up Dan! its crazy how much a new set of heads can completely change the look of the truck. You're spot on to about just "renting" them. Ive had several clients who come back after a year and decide to sell their truck, we list the retrofits on a forum or ebay and they all have sold within 2 days and for $100-$300 less then retail. That's why we always recommend keeping your oem lights, when it comes time to sell your truck you reinstall the oem's and part out the retrofits. Theres not many other aftermarket mods that retain such a high value.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
From every place I've looked the factory HID's retail around 1,200, so 1,600 for a fully custom set with LED's and upgraded HID's really isn't bad at all. Especially since the resale value stays so high due to how popular our trucks are. My truck came with the factory HID's but I'll definitely be investing in an upgraded set. The difference in light output is insane. Raptor Retrofit should do a set of fogs for the f150 too, I'd love to see how that would look and perform.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
7 years later after Dan did it , people still doing that set up. I did mine awhile ago. And they are still expensive.
272CA70C-ADF4-4065-BF52-54C4A68494EE.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts