F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got the new Hankooks put on. They look like some good tires. Noise is better and so is the ride.

On the other hand, they completely scratched and chipped my wheels all over the place. I am going back in today to talk to them to see what we can do. I got my wheels last year in Sept. and I keep ridiculously good care of my stuff. When Big O put them on there was no issues. Then I got my ATPs put on and noticed a few chip. Then when I got these put on they completely beat up all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
That sucks man, that's why you have to make sure it is a touchless wheel mounter. When i had my tire patched I went in the back and showed them what to do lol.

When my new tires come, I actually found a euro shop that knows what's up and has touchless wheel mounting and touchless alignment. I am going to pay them whatever lol.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That sucks man, that's why you have to make sure it is a touchless wheel mounter. When i had my tire patched I went in the back and showed them what to do lol.

When my new tires come, I actually found a euro shop that knows what's up and has touchless wheel mounting and touchless alignment. I am going to pay them whatever lol.
Yeah it does suck. I have never had an issue with them thought. I have had a decent set of non OE wheels on every car/truck I have owned and always used them and first time I have had an issue.
I went after work and after about 30 seconds of looking the manager said he is just gonna get me a brand new set of wheels. I think he found a piece of abrasive in the guide/slider because he said he cleaned it out lol.

Honestly, yes it has costed me time but not a lot of stress. They are making it right so I am very happy. Great customer service. I will go through them still since they do such a great job.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Yeah it does suck. I have never had an issue with them thought. I have had a decent set of non OE wheels on every car/truck I have owned and always used them and first time I have had an issue.
I went after work and after about 30 seconds of looking the manager said he is just gonna get me a brand new set of wheels. I think he found a piece of abrasive in the guide/slider because he said he cleaned it out lol.

Honestly, yes it has costed me time but not a lot of stress. They are making it right so I am very happy. Great customer service. I will go through them still since they do such a great job.
Love to see a business manager that knows how to turn a customer from an adversary to an ambassador. Good customer service managers are in short supply these days.

Great story. Glad you updated us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Love to see a business manager that knows how to turn a customer from an adversary to an ambassador. Good customer service managers are in short supply these days.

Great story. Glad you updated us.

Turns out we went to the same high school together as well. You never know who you are gonna meet lol

Hopefully get the new wheels put on this Saturday!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Found out I had a bad wheel bearing. My warranty paid for it minus my $100 deductible.
I was emptying my catch can and broke off the passenger side pcv plastic piece that holds it into the valve cover. It is in but gonna check it out later today to see if it blew itself out.
If so I will be replacing my valve cover. It looks like I don't have to take off the intake manifold to get to it. Looks like a quick and easy swap.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Bad wheel bearing? How many miles? Did you do both sides? I would have. Trucks are robust and should not be eating wheel bearing so soon.

How did you damage the valve cover emptying catch can? The catch can is not near the valve cover even, lol.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Bad wheel bearing? How many miles? Did you do both sides? I would have. Trucks are robust and should not be eating wheel bearing so soon.

How did you damage the valve cover emptying catch can? The catch can is not near the valve cover even, lol.
LOL don't start.. SO I have the FR catch can mounted above the engine and normally I just twist the passenger side PCV off to check it out and clean it if needed and I guess from working in the sun all day I just applied to much passion to it. I thought I was being gentle.. but I guess not...

I have 86k on it. I mean I did some things that I think would be up a wheel bearing pretty good and my wheels are -24mm offset so it may add a little extra wear and tear to it. But if it happens again I will look into it more. No I only did the one side since it was warranty work and the shop did it so I could spend time with the family Truck drives so much better. I figure since I have the warranty I might as well use it. Saved me $300 on parts alone.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got under the truck and looked at the backup camera wiring and I found two spots where the camera is grounded out under the spare tire. Pulled them and used a wire wheel to remove the rust from the eyelet, bolt, and the frame. It started working fine then back again to it not working. Pretty sure it is the camera at this point so I am going to order a replacement from tasca.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yay! Another update, just got into a low impact accident. I was in my lane and was creeping forward and some older guy merged right into me. By the time I hit my horn/noticed he was that close he was already into the side of me. Looks like light damage with some paint transfer and paint missing and a dent on my driver side door, fender, fender flare, and my side step. Ugh it is too hot for this kind of crap right now.

The guy was really nice about it and admitted fault. Got a lot of pictures and made the claim. Now I get to sit back and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
DO you do any detailing? You can easily get he paint off and then compound it out and have a PDR the dent and pocket the money.

Sucks to hear that man.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
DO you do any detailing? You can easily get he paint off and then compound it out and have a PDR the dent and pocket the money.

Sucks to hear that man.
Oh I do. I want to see what the adjuster says and what the body shop says and go from there after I see my options. Hopefully they get things moving quick. But the thing that sucks is we had two bad hail storms here and my truck made it out without an issue then I get hit lol

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Quick update. I replaced the passenger side valve cover due to me breaking off the little plastic tabs inside of where the PCV valve mounts. Not a bad job just be sure to go slow and be careful so you don't get any crap inside your engine. I didn't have an air compressor so I used my gas weed eater to blow crap out and it worked pretty well lol. @WooBoost
20190723_191312.jpg 20190723_203111.jpg

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I did see that gouge on the the cam shaft but it looks like it is from factory since it is not fresh metal and it does have oil varnish on it. I looked around and it doesn't have any area to come into contact with.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I did see that gouge on the the cam shaft but it looks like it is from factory since it is not fresh metal and it does have oil varnish on it. I looked around and it doesn't have any area to come into contact with.
I'm betting you are right.
I LOVE these motors, and I don't know if it's the same amongst other motors these days, but it's been pretty well documented that a lot of less-than-perfect looking pieces make it into the oem longblock.

I'm convinced that has something to do with the inconsistency from one truck to the next, as far as various noises and issues on brand new trucks.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm betting you are right.
I LOVE these motors, and I don't know if it's the same amongst other motors these days, but it's been pretty well documented that a lot of less-than-perfect looking pieces make it into the oem longblock.

I'm convinced that has something to do with the inconsistency from one truck to the next, as far as various noises and issues on brand new trucks.

Even if you got a stock motor built and it is actually within spec just imagine how good they would be ;)

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Even if you got a stock motor built and it is actually within spec just imagine how good they would be ;)
Exactly.

In that context, if you are happy with the "performance" of a tuned Gen2, then you could take a well built longblock and not need ANY of the bolt-ons that immediately add all the complexity. Instead, just stick to stock everything. Turbos........ Etc

Then just relax knowing that "tune" is no threat. Feel free to bury that pedal. :)

That longblock doesn't really cost much over the factory longblock, all things considered. You just have to have discipline when you order up! (not easy, I tell ya)

Believe me, I'm very tempted to drop that over-built motor into a bone stock environment. Maybe add a good CAC. Then tell (beg) @mattr66 to relax about "protecting" the motor and go ahead and give me some more early torque. Lol

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
11 Participants
Envious
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing