F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has the 22" wheels... aluminum with clear coat. There are some areas of pitting, oxidation, etc. Since they're clear coated I can't just hit them with some Mother's and a buffer.

I was thinking about pulling them, stripping them and just leaving them uncoated. I might even try stripping them mounted... just have to tape things up since the strippers tend to be pretty nasty.

If they weren't clear coated, I can just polish them as needed... has anyone done that with their wheels?

Any regrets/issues?

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I bought a set of 22's from an inmate here so that I could swap back and forth between my towing and off road tires in less than an hour. The 22's are for hooliganning around town.

Like you describe, they were less than "New" looking when they arrived and I decided to have them powdercoated to match the secondary color of the truck.

It's one other option you might consider?

(Credit goes to my friend Jerry at Tifosi Performance for the work)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
+1 for powdercoating...I found a set of 18x8 Navigator wheels for my 2018 FX4, had the chrome stripped off and powdercoated gray, shop charged $75 a wheel...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a set of 22's from an inmate here so that I could swap back and forth between my towing and off road tires in less than an hour. The 22's are for hooliganning around town.

Like you describe, they were less than "New" looking when they arrived and I decided to have them powdercoated to match the secondary color of the truck.

It's one other option you might consider?

(Credit goes to my friend Jerry at Tifosi Performance for the work)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I do like the color of the wheels, so I'm not really wanting to do a color... so maybe clear powder coating would be a good way to go?

I'd have to pull the wheels and be without my truck while they were processed/coated. I suppose it would be a pretty durable option.

Otherwise I was thinking that stripping them and polishing them once or twice a year would give me similar results and not have to worry about a coating holding up... or not.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yep my dad just had his 2006 SRT 8 wheels blasted and powder coated was like $500 but looks awesome.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
My truck has the 22" wheels... aluminum with clear coat. There are some areas of pitting, oxidation, etc. Since they're clear coated I can't just hit them with some Mother's and a buffer.

I was thinking about pulling them, stripping them and just leaving them uncoated. I might even try stripping them mounted... just have to tape things up since the strippers tend to be pretty nasty.

If they weren't clear coated, I can just polish them as needed... has anyone done that with their wheels?

Any regrets/issues?
Uncoated wheels make for too much work to keep in good condition.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try polishing them by hand first. You say it can't be done bc factory clear coat, but if they are pitted and stuff, might as well try.
I agree with that... will hit a spot with a buffer pad and some Mother's wheel polish.

Otherwise I gather the bare wheels might be a pain to keep up with, if I stripped them and left them bare... so one of two options.

Pay someone to do it (maybe the best option outside of $$) or strip and clear coat them with some rattle can clear coat... which will take time and maybe $50 in cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts