F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I searched around a bit and did not stumble across anyone that has done this. My truck is scheduled to arrive in a few weeks and would like to convert to HID's as soon as it hits the driveway.

Related question: I've seen HID's during the day where all you see is an illuminated outer ring. Is that controlled by the ECU?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Unfortunately the factory HID set up does not have the halo. I have checked on prices for the factory/OEM set ups and they run around a thousand per side for the whole setup. If you are looking for the setup with halos, going with a set from Recon or Anzo would be a good place to start (personally I'd pick Recon).

Edit: I think the halos are tied in with the ignition if you set it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 2013 oem hid's aren't plug and play, but you can find a wiring harness(around 100$) and the lights(about 800$ and up for both sides) themselves on eBay. But they do not have halos, you can go with cheap products such as recon, spyder, anzo etc if you want halos. Or you could look into retrofits, which you could do, or have done for you... Custom paint colors etc..

Here are mine, and my parents retrofits done by Bil @ Bilinvic retrofits. http://www.bilinvic-retrofits.com/index.html
There are a other places that you can have these done at as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the factory HID set up does not have the halo. I have checked on prices for the factory/OEM set ups and they run around a thousand per side for the whole setup. If you are looking for the setup with halos, going with a set from Recon or Anzo would be a good place to start (personally I'd pick Recon).

Edit: I think the halos are tied in with the ignition if you set it that way.
I've looked at both the Recon and Anzo kits. They appear to be nicer than the ebay kits. I can live without the Halo, I was mainly wondering if the ECU played any part in HID's operation.

The 2013 oem hid's aren't plug and play, but you can find a wiring harness(around 100$) and the lights(about 800$ and up for both sides) themselves on eBay. But they do not have halos, you can go with cheap products such as recon, spyder, anzo etc if you want halos. Or you could look into retrofits, which you could do, or have done for you... Custom paint colors etc..

Here are mine, and my parents retrofits done by Bil @ Bilinvic retrofits. * Custom Retrofitted F150 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Headlights* - bilinvic Retrofits
There are a other places that you can have these done at as well.
Thanks for the pics! Those look really nice. Admittedly, a little steeper in price than I'm willing to pay. After the HID conversion, front grill swap, and other bits, I should've just bought an FX-4...

That bug deflector looks nice on that blue truck. Something else I'm looking at.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have recon on my truck. I wired my halo lights up with my parking lights so when my parking lights are on the halos are also. I also have an 8k hid bulbs in headlights and 8k in my fog lights also

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have recon on my truck. I wired my halo lights up with my parking lights so when my parking lights are on the halos are also. I also have an 8k hid bulbs in headlights and 8k in my fog lights also

I'll be that looks nice. Yours being a Lariat, it likely has the 'auto on' headlight option. Does that still function as factory?

The ECU doesn't play any part in the operation of any function of the F-150's HID lights. Halo/Angel Eye equipped HIDs aren't controlled by the ECU either
Thanks Wendy. So, no need for an ECU swap with HID's. That's a relief.

I've been meaning to ask, where did you get your front grill from?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'll be that looks nice. Yours being a Lariat, it likely has the 'auto on' headlight option. Does that still function as factory?

Yep.. But i like controlling them myself being they have hids and they have to warm up. I made a post with pictures of my headlights if you wanna check them out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts