F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think the 2013 Ram 1500 will stack up against the F150 EB?

I noticed the new Ram 1500 SLT is rated at 1770 pounds payload and 10,450 pounds towing. Seems like Ram made some big improvements this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ram also has a 5yr 100m mile drivetrain warrenty and a air suspension option on any version...Tool box built into the upper part of the bed, Standard 5.7L engine has 395 hp and 407LB-Ft Torque for power if you like at no extra charge, Then the Peniastar v-6 3.6, has 305hp and gets 25MPG with a 8 speed Trans and 4x2 drive. Only 1/2 ton in the class to get that mileage..The Ecoboost has 365 hp with there 6speed trans and gets 21 mpg...and it costs $1095,00 extra option...not standard like the Ram..It also drives beautiful with the electric power steering....

·
Registered
152 Posts
For Dodge lovers,they will say thier the best. But the truth is Nothing can beat the F150 EB all around. like Dennis Leary says in the commercial best in class fuel economy is great if all you do is haul around pizza's! But if you want a truck that does it all really well Ecoboost is where it's at. I know I will out pull the Hemi,all day long.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The eight speed is a improvement but the Hemi still doesn't pull like the Eco bc it doesn't match or offer the diesel like tq curve...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A LOT of good stuff coming from Ram. Major improvements in their half tons and hd's. Curious to see how the 6.4L Hemi does in the HD. It will be nice that the power wagon will get a bigger engine. But even though they have good commercials they are not better than a FORD.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'll stick with my EB. Like you said, the TQ curve of a diesel is not present. The v6 ram offers the best fuel economy, but doesn't come close to the power of the EB. The new Ram will be nice and will sell, but after owning an EB, the sell will never be to me.

The longer warranty is nice. The no charge power option is nice. BUT the numbers aren't as high as the EB, has slightly lower tow rating (large v8 vs boosted v6), fuel economy gained by sacrificing the hemi, and the EB has greater hidden power with a very modest stock tune.

Ill take my EB with 380rwhp / 460 tq with simple mods!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ram also has a 5yr 100m mile drivetrain warrenty and a air suspension option on any version...Tool box built into the upper part of the bed, Standard 5.7L engine has 395 hp and 407LB-Ft Torque for power if you like at no extra charge, Then the Peniastar v-6 3.6, has 305hp and gets 25MPG with a 8 speed Trans and 4x2 drive. Only 1/2 ton in the class to get that mileage..The Ecoboost has 365 hp with there 6speed trans and gets 21 mpg...and it costs $1095,00 extra option...not standard like the Ram..It also drives beautiful with the electric power steering....
Rams are really nice trucks. I traded for the ecoboost because of gas mileage not power. The hemi can give the Raptor all it wants but I could never get better than about 15.5mpg with the big ole Hemi. I get over 17.5mpg in stop and go traffic right with AC on right out of the dealership. Now let me tell you about that five year warranty. Yep....it's great BUT every thrity thousand miles you have to drain the tranny and coolant fluid and plugs along with as few other unnecessary things that cost wll over 1500 hundred bucks. That is every thrity thousand miles folks. That is 1500 hundred bucks folks. I don't even want to talk about the 100,000 mile maintence but it runs well about three grand. In shory to get the five year warranty...........you darn well pay for it!!! That was the main reason I traded my Ram other than gas mileage. It was a nice and fun to drive truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now let me tell you about that five year warranty. Yep....it's great BUT every thrity thousand miles you have to drain the tranny and coolant fluid and plugs along with as few other unnecessary things that cost wll over 1500 hundred bucks. That is every thrity thousand miles folks. That is 1500 hundred bucks folks. I don't even want to talk about the 100,000 mile maintence but it runs well about three grand. In shory to get the five year warranty...........you darn well pay for it!!! That was the main reason I traded my Ram other than gas mileage. It was a nice and fun to drive truck.
According to the Ram's manual:
1. Newer Rams come with an improved engine coolant which can be used up to ten years or 150,000 miles before replacement.
2. ZF 8 speed transmission is "fill-for-life".
3. The spark plug change interval is 100,000 miles (3.6L, 5.7L Hemi)

http://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-RAM_15_25_35-OM-1st.pdf?myyear=20&myvehicle=0&o-download-button.x=55&o-download-button.y=10

The eight speed is a improvement but the Hemi still doesn't pull like the Eco bc it doesn't match or offer the diesel like tq curve...
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 3.73 rear end, WITH Max Tow package
2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 3.55 rear end, WITHOUT Max Tow package (Max Tow is with 3.92 rear end)

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-hill-climb-acceleration-test.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
According to the Ram's manual:
1. Newer Rams come with an improved engine coolant which can be used up to ten years or 150,000 miles before replacement.
2. ZF 8 speed transmission is "fill-for-life".
3. The spark plug change interval is 100,000 miles (3.6L, 5.7L Hemi)

http://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-RAM_15_25_35-OM-1st.pdf?myyear=20&myvehicle=0&o-download-button.x=55&o-download-button.y=10

2013 F-150 Ecoboost 3.73 rear end, WITH Max Tow package
2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 3.55 rear end, WITHOUT Max Tow package (Max Tow is with 3.92 rear end)

2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Hill-Climb Acceleration Test - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

Let me just say it WAS NOT THAT way for the 2011 models. Also make very sure what you posted is for the Hemi engine!!! It's maintence is totally different than their little V8. Again, very nice truck but I am now getting almost 18 miles to the gallon with AC on in stop and go traffic. I got at the very best on the Ram about 14 MPG without the AC on in stop and go traffic. That is enough to change brands for me. Plus the Ram rode like a friggin buckboard versus the F150.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree the Ram has improved a great deal and there is prop a lot to like about it; But I STILL prefer the ECOs broader TQ over the Hemi which TQ is higher in the RPM range; and enjoy the ECOs Roll on power no matter where you are in the RPMs. Which in the end of the competition the ECO/F-150 combo proved it can still lead despite being more dated (I can only imagine what the 2015 F-150 will be like given the current Gen F-150 is heaviest, and they plan to reduce weight by at least 800lbs and add a few gears to the tranny).

·
Registered
565 Posts
The eco boost is what made me buy a ford I was a die hard chevy fan but the eco boost really doesnt have any close compition in the other american trucks. the 5.7 hemi is a powerful engine but the one i drove still felt like the ecoboost with less hp had more power.The rams have some interior features that i wish Ford had tho like the handle on the drivers side and the customizeable dash.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Wow that is a brutally honest comparison. He had no shame in putting the design if other manufactures down

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've driven the new HEMI with the 8 speed trans and I have to say I'll keep my ECOBOOST. The Dodge is nice but the 8 speed trans shifts way to often. If you leave a light at normal acceleration it will shift 3 to 4 times before you cross the intersection. The shifts are not that smooth either. The drive by wire blips the throttle on every shift and you can feel it. To me it was a little jerky. I also like the cab room of my screw. I had a 2012 HEMI 1500 and the rear space was limited in comparison. I just feel that Ford is way ahead of the competition with the ecoboost in means of technology. And who knows what the future holds. When I was at SEMA this year the 2014 Cobra Jet race car Ford had on display was sporting a 5.0 twin turbo ie; ECOBOOST.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You do realize that's a Ford engineer. I still like the videos though. If the other manufacturers were feeling slighted by Ford's comparison videos, I would think they'd offer their own. Good stuff

"Wow that is a brutally honest comparison. He had no shame in putting the design if other manufactures down"

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The '13 Ram has a lot of good thing going for it. I test drive a Laramie before I bought my FX4. The interior is 2nd to none, IMO. I didn't get to drive the 8spd but the motor was decent. Doesn't hold a candle to what I'm driving now, but its not bad. I came from a 09 Laramie and while the rear end gave a far superior ride than the Ford, I could get it to squat with very little weight in it. I've hauled 2200lbs of block in the back of the Ford with less Squat than the Ram had with 900lbs in it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I have two main issues with the Dodge that made me stick with ford.

First of all, I really don't care much about fuel economy. I'm out of the country most of the year, so it isn't like I fill her up every week.

-The rams electronic power steering reminds me of thos old racing arcade games, even with large tires you don't feel the truck respond through the wheel. I don't like that at all.

-The Hemi has insane top end power, but in a truck I'm looking for power down low. I was on the border line of going deisel since I have a 32' Cardinal fifth wheel, and once I test drove the eco I was sold. Plus the aftermarket options didn't hurt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The Dodge interiors are sure nice. Will be interesting to see how Ford steps up the game with the 2015 next generation F150. Expectation would be interior materials would get attention. Ford in the current generation does a good job with design and the graining and sheen of the hard plastics that are used. About as much visual appeal as possible while still using hard plastics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
20 Participants
Grim Reaper
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing