F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys, I am running Mike's 91 Perf/Tow tune from 5 Star, and love it. Truck has about 4000 miles, and I feel I am having some spark issues, haven't pulled the plugs yet, but I have heard some crazy gap stories, as well as cracked porcelain, etc. Also, the inside of the tail pipe is full of carbon, and the truck has no power whatsoever until it's completely warmed up.

Since Motorcraft plugs come in these, and people are having these results with them, I would prefer to go with something else. Mike suggested SP-534 gapped to .30, but what would be NGK's equivalent for the stock heat range? I am hitting right around 18 or 19psi, and I don't need to go colder I believe, and the only other performance I plan on doing is exhaust. I live in Kansas where the weather ranges from below 0 in the winter to 100+ in the summer. I saw the Brisk silver racing plugs, but from what I've read they're not that great and not worth it. Has anyone ran the NGK 6509's? That's what is recommended by Stage 3 Motorsports on their site, and they say it's stock heat range. I have used NGK in the past and had good luck with them. I am thinking of getting these, and gapping to .30, but my mind is open to some good suggestions.

Also to add, I am running Lucas fuel additive on this tank before I change the plugs, and will be doing my first oil change when I change the plugs as well.

On a side note, I just joined the forum, and will be posting write ups on how to get rid of that nasty white ring around your tail lights, and properly tap into the right vacuum line for a boost gauge on a 2013, both with parts you need etc.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I got some plugs the other day that were sp528 or something like that. Haven't pulled my old ones out to see if they match or not. Does anyone know if ford changed the part number? Also, the new plugs say made in japan so I'm assuming they are produced by NGK for ford

The boost will set you free

·
Registered
914 Posts
Brisk silver's I would not recommend. I've had mine in for less than 1000 miles gapped at .28 and am already noticing a slight rough cold idle. I'm going to throw the original motorcraft ones back in gapped at .30 and see how it runs. They only have 1200 miles on them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
929 Posts
I got some plugs the other day that were sp528 or something like that. Haven't pulled my old ones out to see if they match or not. Does anyone know if ford changed the part number? Also, the new plugs say made in japan so I'm assuming they are produced by NGK for ford The boost will set you free
I thought the Motorcrafts were 534s?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Me too but that's what the dealer gave me

·
Vendor
1,503 Posts
SP528s are double platinums and came stock on 2011-2012 trucks, as well as a few early 2013s. SP534s are iridiums and came stock on most 2013s and all 2014s, and should have been used as replacements for TSB work.

Our NGK6509s are iridiums in the factory heat range. 6510s are also iridiums, just a step colder. You generally only need to go colder if you're heavily modded or if your tuner of choice recommends them.

5-Star recommends the SP534s gapped down to .030".

...and I'm going to bed.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
So should I take the 528s back?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think they'll be fine, maybe just don't last as long? If it were me, I'd take them back and get the 534s, just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah your probably right

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes the brisk is known for failures BUT when they are hitting they awesome. I just put my one step colder back in yesterday and what a difference. I had juat put the 534 gapped to .30. My mods and truck didn't care for the plugs are gaps. The brisk are at .28 and runner good!

I have the brisk plugs, stainless works s-tube exhaust system, maks dps, rx can and clean side separator, afe charge pipe and stage2 cai, Wagner intercooler mpt tune.

Im spiking 21psi holding 18.5-19.5
Brisk 14s definitely helped me clear as day!

And man I had bad luck with any fuel additives! I dont run any no more. Any lucas it has always made my truck run bad. Also I heard in our engines they dont do anything anyhow. ..

If u get torque app and bluetooth adapter you can run mode06 and pin point any missfires to what cylinder.

Hope this helps

Faster then Ecofx86! Lets see what he brings to the street. ...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm using the NGK 6509 in my '12. No problems to report. I've also noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage. Mine are gapped to .030

It's probably worth noting, I am not tuned.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes the brisk is known for failures BUT when they are hitting they awesome. I just put my one step colder back in yesterday and what a difference. I had juat put the 534 gapped to .30. My mods and truck didn't care for the plugs are gaps. The brisk are at .28 and runner good!

I have the brisk plugs, stainless works s-tube exhaust system, maks dps, rx can and clean side separator, afe charge pipe and stage2 cai, Wagner intercooler mpt tune.

Im spiking 21psi holding 18.5-19.5
Brisk 14s definitely helped me clear as day!

And man I had bad luck with any fuel additives! I dont run any no more. Any lucas it has always made my truck run bad. Also I heard in our engines they dont do anything anyhow. ..

If u get torque app and bluetooth adapter you can run mode06 and pin point any missfires to what cylinder.

Hope this helps

Faster then Ecofx86! Lets see what he brings to the street. ...
I have had the same experience. Read some bad press on Brisks, put my 534's back on and started having misfires. Put the Brisks back on, and the truck feels stronger. Had my plugs for 5K miles so far. It seems like the plugs are hit and miss from truck to truck.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went with the NGK 6509, just seen too many issues with Motorcraft plugs, and I've liked NGK before. I will post a status in a week or so after I run them. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I went with the NGK 6509, just seen too many issues with Motorcraft plugs, and I've liked NGK before. I will post a status in a week or so after I run them. Thanks for the replies.
I have used NGK plugs for 20+ years, so when I decided to change the plugs in my 2013 I called NGK to find out the part number for an iridium plug. I gave the tech the OE number SP534 he told me the SP534 plug is made by NGK and he didn't show an aftermarket number. I went with the SP534's from O'riley.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my 13 came wit sp534. I put brisk iridiums in at 30gap. truck did not like them. sp534 gapped at 28 now it runs good on 5star and unleashed.
y

1 - 20 of 32 Posts