F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13' F150 FX2 - SCREW. AFE Intercooler - Charge Pipes - Stage 2 Intake - Downpipes - Unleashed Tune
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got a 2017 fx4 lariat and the brakes feel very weak in comparison to my 2013 fx2. i have to really hunker down on the 2017 to get the same stopping power of the 2013 with moderate pedal pressure. i do have Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors on the 2013 but i dont think this would make that big of a difference. any idea on how to increase the brakig power on the newer trucks?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Pedal "feel" is similar, but just less deceleration?

I ask because as long as the newer truck is healthy, the only explanation would be friction materials. And the previous driver might have been a very light braker, and as a result the rotors might have pad transfer on them and killing the bite?

Probably the first thing I would do is what co$t nothing....... Find a place where you can do the typical new-pad seasoning, but to those old pads. 5 or 6 SERIOUS braking events from say 80mph down to ~20. (don't come to a complete stop)

Basically getting the pads and rotors good and hot.

You don't have much to lose since you aren't happy with the brake performance anyways. But you never know, it might improve the pad/rotor relationship considerably.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah, the 17s should be noticeably better than the 13s. I'd start with the usual stuff. Check the fluid - if it's old and has absorbed a bunch of water, you'll get a spongy pedal. A flush might not be a bad idea. Then re-bed the pads/rotors.

·
Registered
13' F150 FX2 - SCREW. AFE Intercooler - Charge Pipes - Stage 2 Intake - Downpipes - Unleashed Tune
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fluid is good but I have not done a heat cycle. I will try a few hard stops. The truck stops just fine, just a much different feel at the pedal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts