F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
My truck is 2014 3.5 supercrew. It is 100% stock and has 57k miles. I got the big wrench this morning on a short trip to take my son to my parents house. The truck lost power and ran rough. I pulled over, shut it off, waited a minute, then started it back up and drove away with no issues or lights. I bought plugs a couple days ago since I haven't done them yet and figured the yellow wrench was a sign it was time for those plugs (which are not installed yet). I was surprised that the code was P0217 (Engine Coolant Over Temperature Condition)

Of the 57k miles, 12,000 of them are towing. I tow 4500#'s (race car and trailer) along with a decent amount of payload in the vehicle.

I'm not as familiar with this truck as most on the forum. If there is a regular way to go after this issue, I'd love to hear about it or any recommendations people have.

Thank you
Dan

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,337 Posts
If it wasn't actually hot, I would think you have a bad temp sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was thinking the same thing as a place to start. I'll see if the temp can be monitored on the PID's. Not a ton of info on this one on the google....

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,337 Posts
Is there a heat shield between your CAC and the radiator ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the Kiwi OBD reader yesterday and did the same short trip to my parents house. The coolant temp once hot ranged from 192 to 208. This seems to be a pretty normal range and nothing to be concerned with. I also let it idle for 5 minutes and it sat right at 199.

I think my orange wrench power loss and rough idle may not be related to this code. On the Kiwi it showed as a stored code. Guessing i need to do the plugs and probably more closely monitor my coolant temps while towing.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the wrench again today but this time I had the OBD reader hooked up while driving. The code is a P2112 which appears to be very common. I can take the old one off in the next evening or two so I can confirm I'm buying the right one. This makes a lot more sense than the overheat code

1 - 7 of 7 Posts