F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a ecoboost limited edition f150 and have had it less then 10days. I parked on a hill with not much of a incline and when I left used 4x4 to get up. I had problems getting it out of 4x4 and that's normal at times but I have had the cam phaser clapping noise since. I have had trucks before make a noise when low on oil and you come to a hard stop. So I put a qt of oil in to get home. Well the clapping has got worse and the oil pressure gauge would drop to zero then up and back and forth off and on with no pattern. The next day I drove it to town to get it checked and oil never dropped. But had a loss of power and the horrible noise. My. Question is could changing the filter and oil fix the problem and assuming the loss of power is due to the clapping noise. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help. And I don't have the money right now to take it to a Ford dealer. Would try fixing the problem myself if possible

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
Honestly these kinds of first posts break my heart for the fella that just bought someone else's problem.
The easiest way that I can explain it is that a used 3.5 Ecoboost F150, especially a high mileage one, should be purchased after a thorough PPI.

Very similar to some other performance vehicles, there are some potential expensive repairs that should either be ruled out or at least included in the cost of acquiring the vehicle.
There's hardly a worse experience than bringing home a new-to-you vehicle and in a very short time discover the plight that I suspect you might be facing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just purchased a ecoboost limited edition f150 and have had it less then 10days. I parked on a hill with not much of a incline and when I left used 4x4 to get up. I had problems getting it out of 4x4 and that's normal at times but I have had the cam phaser clapping noise since. I have had trucks before make a noise when low on oil and you come to a hard stop. So I put a qt of oil in to get home. Well the clapping has got worse and the oil pressure gauge would drop to zero then up and back and forth off and on with no pattern. The next day I drove it to town to get it checked and oil never dropped. But had a loss of power and the horrible noise. My. Question is could changing the filter and oil fix the problem and assuming the loss of power is due to the clapping noise. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help. And I don't have the money right now to take it to a Ford dealer. Would try fixing the problem myself if possible
I did have the low pressure light kick on in my 13’ after the mechanic did an oil change while my truck was getting working on. They had used a cheap filter. I never experienced any power loss but the light went off after I changed the oil and filter to motorcraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
First thing I would do( the cheapest as well) - change the oil and use a Motorcraft filter. I’m a big fan of the Motorcraft 5w30 Syn Blend which you can pick up from Walmart for very cheap.

There have been cases where a failed oil filter caused pressure to drop intermittently. I’m not saying this may solve your problem, but it’s a start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly these kinds of first posts break my heart for the fella that just bought someone else's problem.
The easiest way that I can explain it is that a used 3.5 Ecoboost F150, especially a high mileage one, should be purchased after a thorough PPI.

Very similar to some other performance vehicles, there are some potential expensive repairs that should either be ruled out or at least included in the cost of acquiring the vehicle.
There's hardly a worse experience than bringing home a new-to-you vehicle and in a very short time discover the plight that I suspect you might be facing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I had been looking for a truck for months and every time I found one by the time I got approved it was sold so I didn't even check this I bought it over the phone and drove 1.5 hrs to get it after work. Yea not the smartest but on top of that didn't notice it was a ecoboost. But it is what it is just hoping for the best

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
91 Posts
Well I had been looking for a truck for months and every time I found one by the time I got approved it was sold so I didn't even check this I bought it over the phone and drove 1.5 hrs to get it after work. Yea not the smartest but on top of that didn't notice it was a ecoboost. But it is what it is just hoping for the best
Man that sucks.
$3,000 more and you can replace the timing components and have a good truck going forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First thing I would do( the cheapest as well) - change the oil and use a Motorcraft filter. I’m a big fan of the Motorcraft 5w30 Syn Blend which you can pick up from Walmart for very cheap.

There have been cases where a failed oil filter caused pressure to drop intermittently. I’m not saying this may solve your problem, but it’s a start.
Well I changed the oil filter and oil the clapping noise is still there but does have better power then before I changed it. So I'll be honest and say. I'm not a ecoboost fan by no means. It seems like the dodge dashboards that fell apart and where made like that for 10+ yrs. I'm a mechanic when I have to be because I'm always a cheap skate. But what should I do as far as getting it going. I have read 250k is the life expectancy for a ecoboost. Would it be better going dif is that possible. What is my best option from here. Turn the radio up load and drive it till It won't. At least it gets quieter the faster I go. Lol

·
Registered
751 Posts
Any chance the vehicle came with a short term warranty? Was the oil level low before you added a quart? At that mileage I would be exploring options for a new engine. Or at the very least give the engine a good check over to be sure there are not other problems lurking. Compression, leak down, oil consumption, etc. Fixing the timing chain/phasers only to find other problems will not be good.

Reactions: Geronimo John

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
91 Posts
Sell It!
If you were the original owner, I would fix it.
But since you're not, cut your losses and sell it.
Before the motor explodes.
Just my 2 cents 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Any chance the vehicle came with a short term warranty? Was the oil level low before you added a quart? At that mileage I would be exploring options for a new engine. Or at the very least give the engine a good check over to be sure there are not other problems lurking. Compression, leak down, oil consumption, etc. Fixing the timing chain/phasers only to find other problems will not be good.
If you just bought it take the thing back and make them fix it. Especially within 30 days. I pay 20$ a month for consumer protection and it’s a beautiful thing. 240 a year in case I run into an issue like this.

I learned my lesson from a ‘reputable engine builder’ on this forum who took me for $40k. Named doesn’t need to be mentioned bc those who aren’t sheep already know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
$40K for an engine ???

·
Registered
2012 F150 Eco
3 Posts
What was the condition of the oil you drained out of it after you got the truck? If that engine is sludged up it’s possible the oil pickup is clogged up. The cam phasers and chain tensioners are all run on oil pressure, and the fact you stated you seen the oil gage fluctuating, this seems related as the engine may be starving for oil.
You can try putting an engine flush in the oil, let it idle for 20 min, then change the oil and filter again Substitute some oil for some seafoam or similar and drive it for a while then change it again.
All modern engines with cam phasers are super sensitive to oil conditions. Adding turbos makes it even more so. That engine should have plenty of life in it but depends if it was maintained property.
Worse case the timing chain has stretched and the tensioner is maxed out, then you are looking at an overhaul of the cam drive system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What was the condition of the oil you drained out of it after you got the truck? If that engine is sludged up it’s possible the oil pickup is clogged up. The cam phasers and chain tensioners are all run on oil pressure, and the fact you stated you seen the oil gage fluctuating, this seems related as the engine may be starving for oil.
You can try putting an engine flush in the oil, let it idle for 20 min, then change the oil and filter again Substitute some oil for some seafoam or similar and drive it for a while then change it again.
All modern engines with cam phasers are super sensitive to oil conditions. Adding turbos makes it even more so. That engine should have plenty of life in it but depends if it was maintained property.
Worse case the timing chain has stretched and the tensioner is maxed out, then you are looking at an overhaul of the cam drive system.
I don't know because the pan I drained it in had a hole in it and I didn't realize until it had all drained out. I did see it at first and it didn't look too bad. But if it was something and or is something bad why did the noise go away for about 5 min before returning. If it was slack in the chain would the noise stay. And the noise went away when I cold cranked it for 8 sec or so. It was way longer then I had done before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts