F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So far so good.... picked up the truck Friday and now the break in driving time.

Does not have the sluggish.... feels like the brakes are on feel when rolling out from a light or stop sign like it did when we bought it.

So it may actually run like a Truck instead of a Prius! LOL...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Glad it ended up working out for you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dont forget to do the hole on the intercooler... or it may happen again. We should not have to do this... but unfortunately seems like a major cause of these as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Dont forget to do the hole on the intercooler... or it may happen again. We should not have to do this... but unfortunately seems like a major cause of these as well.
I have it in-place.... via an idea I came up with. I used a MTB Presta Tube Stem as a Check Valve. Reason being it lets air in and stops air from coming out when it's a bicycle tube application. Now reverse it (put the head into the Intercooler) and now you let air, oil, moisture and goo out under pressure. So when you are in off throttle (negative pressure) it will suck the stem up and close off the opening so you do not pull any dust, moisture etc. back in. See photos...

Yes it was in-place when the motor let go and the Dealership did not question it. It has nothing to do with what happened with the motor and oil goo was coming out of it.

Quick report on what I am talking about......

Presta Valve Tube.

20180314_202309.jpg

Presta Valve with tube removed & lock nuts.

20180314_202330.jpg

Drilled a 3/16" hole (slightly smaller than the Presta Head) in intercooler. 2 Presta Valve lock nuts butted-up on valve to help turn secure valve in-place into intercooler, use pliers to help turn on the nuts, do not over tighten (not needed).. just good and snug. Be sure to have the Presta Head backed out (loose) like you would when filling the tube... and now you have a "Check Valve" for your intercooler. Make it look like the last photo and you are done.

20180315_065614.jpg

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Did you in fact test the presta valve (which I ****ing hate by the way stupid European design) for its ability to flow as a check valve with at max 15-18 lbs of pressure acting on the head? What happens when vibration threads the head back in?

I'd be curious to see if it does in fact work. I've got a few from old ****ty tubes before I went tubeless with Schraders.

Ill cut one out, put it in a hose like you have it installed. Set my compressor to 15 lbs and see if that is enough pressure to open the valve the way you have it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Did you in fact test the presta valve (which I ****ing hate by the way stupid European design) for its ability to flow as a check valve with at max 15-18 lbs of pressure acting on the head? Should act just like when you have a tire pump on it, your first pump is pushing air past the head at low psi.

What happens when vibration threads the head back in? I don't think vibration would do that, but a good question and worth checking out. As long as there is oil residue at the open end then it should still be open.

I'd be curious to see if it does in fact work. I've got a few from old ****ty tubes before I went tubeless with Schraders. Tubeless is very cool, use Gorilla Tape to seal off the rim and avoid those $$$ Rim Strip Kits. I use the Presta Valve Kits on my bikes. Just an FYI... Stan's (if you are using it) will corrode the aluminum spoke heads and they start to break off after some time.

Ill cut one out, put it in a hose like you have it installed. Set my compressor to 15 lbs and see if that is enough pressure to open the valve the way you have it. Let us know how your test goes.

·
Registered
964 Posts
To prevent movement, you should find a spot where you can screw the nut against the face of the IC. Then you can jam the nuts together and the only direction it can move is if it falls out. It's like a mini BOV !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No the 3/16" hole is to insert the Presta into the Intercooler. Actual size of the hole that air passes through the Presta Valve may be 1/16" or less, not big at all, just enough to let air with goo get by. I have attached a few photos to show the size of the valve and in this case the Valve has a removable core (for filling with Sealant) when used in a "Tubeless" system. This is what I have used.

maxresdefault.jpg

brass-tubeless-presta-valve-stem-core-removal.jpg

tu404b00.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Make me nervous reading discussions like this ;-) Anyway, I'm at around 95,000 miles now (2014 / purchased new) and either I've been lucky or I've done everything right so far. Mine still runs very strong and so far I haven't had any engine problems other than a coolant leak near the turbo after a multi hour highway drive with outside temps over 100 F (cooling fans race and are very loud in that case ;-)). I don't do anything special. I added the tiny weep hole in the CAC maybe 40k miles ago (don't remember when exactly). I have used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil since the first oil change and I change it around 4k miles. I occasionally run some fuel injector cleaner in the tank (not often, only really did it a few times but I should do it more often). Mix of highway and back road driving to/from work and some long highway trips on vacation. I don't baby it, but I also don't beat it (I don't like to rev the engine too high, but now and then wind it up to 5k or so). I normally use 87 octane gas. I haven't noticed any loss of power when going WOT. I've changed the spark plugs twice. I've ran some Hot Shot Secret (stiction eliminator) in the oil at least twice so far. I'm hoping for a long life from my truck and if I don't get it, the wife will not be too pleased ;-) But if something major were to happen, I think I would end up trading it in. At this point, I don't really 'need' a full size truck and I'd probably downsize to something else. Ford doesn't have a smaller alternative right now, so unless they come out with something in the future I would like, I'd probably move to a GMC Canyon with a normally aspirated engine if I did switch trucks. I want to keep a truck at least 10 years before buying something new. Anyway, I love the power in my F150, but the older I get, the less I like washing a large truck and the more aggravated I am with tight parking spaces :)

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
Make me nervous reading discussions like this ;-) Anyway, I'm at around 95,000 miles now (2014 / purchased new) and either I've been lucky or I've done everything right so far. Mine still runs very strong and so far I haven't had any engine problems other than a coolant leak near the turbo after a multi hour highway drive with outside temps over 100 F (cooling fans race and are very loud in that case ;-)). I don't do anything special. I added the tiny weep hole in the CAC maybe 40k miles ago (don't remember when exactly). I have used Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil since the first oil change and I change it around 4k miles. I occasionally run some fuel injector cleaner in the tank (not often, only really did it a few times but I should do it more often). Mix of highway and back road driving to/from work and some long highway trips on vacation. I don't baby it, but I also don't beat it (I don't like to rev the engine too high, but now and then wind it up to 5k or so). I normally use 87 octane gas. I haven't noticed any loss of power when going WOT. I've changed the spark plugs twice. I've ran some Hot Shot Secret (stiction eliminator) in the oil at least twice so far. I'm hoping for a long life from my truck and if I don't get it, the wife will not be too pleased ;-) But if something major were to happen, I think I would end up trading it in. At this point, I don't really 'need' a full size truck and I'd probably downsize to something else. Ford doesn't have a smaller alternative right now, so unless they come out with something in the future I would like, I'd probably move to a GMC Canyon with a normally aspirated engine if I did switch trucks. I want to keep a truck at least 10 years before buying something new. Anyway, I love the power in my F150, but the older I get, the less I like washing a large truck and the more aggravated I am with tight parking spaces :)
You know that Ford is reintroducing the Ranger later this year, right? ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
trade it in now before its too late... but you may be lucky and all that maintenance is paying off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You know that Ford is reintroducing the Ranger later this year, right? ;)
I heard some rumors about that, but we'll see what it is. So far (for a mid size truck), the Canyon looks really good for what it is. It wouldn't be much shorter for the config I'd want, but it would be more narrow which would make parking better.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
20 Participants
lariatf150
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing