F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM is suppose to unveil the new 2014 Chevy Silverado tomorrow @ 9:30. I'm really interested to see what new engine they are going to use in their new trucks. There have been rumors that it might get a twin turbo V6. I wonder where that idea came from? :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was one of the concept trucks that was floating around a couple of years ago:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just watched the live reveal, honestly not very impressed. Seems to me all the "improvements" are just them playing catch up to the other OEM's. Stole this little blurp from a article i just read:

GM does not expect any of the engines to top both the fuel economy and towing capacity of Ford’s touted EcoBoost V6. The 5.3-liter V8 should beat the EcoBoost’s fuel economy, while the 6.2-liter will have more towing capacity.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notice has the center console looks similar to the 2013+ f150 console?

The "wow" factor isn't there in these new trucks to me. Seems more like a mid cycle refresh then a complete new model.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe, yeah I think I'll wait for the 2015 F150 aka the Ford Atlas!

Reactions: Jeff

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As a former chevy owner I feel that Ford is always two years ahead of GM and I finally jumped ship to Ford. Interior is hands down the better of the two, My 2010 LTZ 6.2 did'nt pull the way my 2013 FX4 does and fuel mileage to boot!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Reactions: strongarm18

·
Registered
588 Posts
So looking at the power release of GM 5.3l V8 (aka what must GM folks were calling the EcoBoost killer ) doesn't seem to be as high as I thought nor anywhere near the EcoBoost numbers. Sadly this is at the crank not rear wheels. Despite the ability to pull 11,500 lbs (200 more) I think EcoBoost will continue to walk away. The GM 6.2l will have some good numbers but max tow rating will stay at 11,500lbs... Doubt it will get better MPG as the 5.3l beat the EcoBoost by 1 mpg...

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
So looking at the power release of GM 5.3l V8 (aka what must GM folks were calling the EcoBoost killer ) doesn't seem to be as high as I thought nor anywhere near the EcoBoost numbers. Sadly this is at the crank not rear wheels. Despite the ability to pull 11,500 lbs (200 more) I think EcoBoost will continue to walk away. The GM 6.2l will have some good numbers but max tow rating will stay at 11,500lbs... Doubt it will get better MPG as the 5.3l beat the EcoBoost by 1 mpg...
And so the battle coninues.... still no direct comparison anywhere, I mean apples to apples, v6 to v6...even v6 against v8 can't compete when you consider the torque curve...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just don't want my engine screaming at 4500 rpm to get max torque pulling the trailer. I love the way the Eco boost pulls and pulls.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just don't want my engine screaming at 4500 rpm to get max torque pulling the trailer. I love the way the Eco boost pulls and pulls.

So true!!! From what I have seen no gas motor hits as hard down low as Ecoboost from the factory

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
So true!!! From what I have seen no gas motor hits as hard down low as Ecoboost from the factory
And those that do make good low end torque have no top end... This truck never feels like its running out of breath even in the upper rpms

·
Registered
588 Posts
And those that do make good low end torque have no top end... This truck never feels like its running out of breath even in the upper rpms
I know it is amazing right up until you hit the governor lol

Reactions: Danieltx11

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes and when you do hit the governor it just smoothes out and goes no more. Some engines let you know your there as it pulses the fuel on and off almost violently.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
HaHa, Yep thats chevrolet.........2 years behind! I have a buddy with the 2500 and a 6.0 gas. He was pissed that my 1/2 ton had the tow rating of his 3/4 ton. I told him that I didn't really have anything to say about that (but was laughing inside).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see they are giving their fuel economy numbers with a 3.08 rear axle. I bet our Ecoboost would get 24mpg with a 3.08 rear axle. Not sure what you are going to do with their power/torque with a 3.08 rear axle. Chevy.JPG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts