F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum and new to the F150. I got a 2014 F150 Ecoboost Limited and want some wheels and tires. Everything on the car is stock. So, I got a couple of questions:

1. Any suggestions on middle of the road wheel and tire set ups? I want the tires to be a little meaty but not too much. Its off-road probably 20%-25% of the time. Not trying to break the bank but don’t want to cheap out.

2. Should I get a leveling kit as well?

Any suggestions help.

Thanks guys

·
1,845 Posts
It’s all personal taste. There are tons of threads on this forum discussing the merits of different tires and their value to cost ratio. I’d suggest you take a look at those. I personally think that Limited’s usually come with a wheel that from a visual perspective you can live with so it comes down to what do you want it to look like?

For me leveling it out is a no brainer but guys that use their truck to pull seem to prefer a bit of rake so they don’t end nose up when pulling. I didn’t want mine to really be taller just level. Lifting the vehicle or simply the front end often has consequences that people don’t take into consideration when looking to do it.

I’d point you towards Bilstein’s 5100’s as a shock that will both give you up to 2” of lift on the front but what I also believe is improved ride quality. I wouldn’t even consider the spacer simply because I didn’t like the way mine rode with the OE shocks so it was an easy choice. If you go this route it’s important to understand that it will have a firmer ride. If you don’t desire this the 5100’s with OE springs isn’t the way to go.

The job to install the spacers vs. shocks is a little bit different because you need a spring compressor to change the shocks but I sincerely believe that most people who can turn a wrench have the ability to do this job. Safety is the number one concern here. Those springs contain a lot of store energy.

The other thing to take into consideration is getting it aligned or at least checked once you’ve made the change. This often isn’t figured into up front the costs and should be at least checked as soon as you can once the shocks are installed. If it ends up needing an alignment (chances are that it will) you may also need to look into Cam Kits for the lower control arms. Buying these outright isn’t terribly expensive and are fairly easy to install, even easier if it can be done when the coil-over is out. Anyway... just things to think about.

·
Registered
925 Posts
We need pictures of your truck! I’m always glad to throw out some suggestions, but give us an idea what route you are thinking with wheel size and finish? Personally, I’m a fan of those 22” wheels on your limited and almost settled on a set before I found my current wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently did the leveling kit using the Bilstein 5100 kit and I love them. granted my truck had 153k on the clock so my original shocks were wore out. But the 5100's ride smooth, handle great, and leveled out my truck almost perfectly. If you go this route and decide to do it yourself, watch the videos posted online and go through the threads about the installs and you will be fine. I did my install but used a local shop that had a wall mount spring compressor to compress the springs. Air tools and/or a good electric impact wrench will be a life saver in doing the job.

As far as tires I'm running the Falken Wildpeak AT3's with the Fuel Trophy wheels. It's a killer combination, and the tires are an all-terrian but have a good looking tread and side wall. I ordered mine offline and the pic's did not do the tread/sidewall justice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts