F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I have searched this forum, other forums, spoke to my dealer, and others and cannot find a fix.
I live in south Florida, no hills or anything. I was towing a small empty trailer this weekend up to Daytona to pick something up and it over heated and caused me to have to pull over for a few for it to cool down. Happened a couple of times.
If you wouldn't mind please read through my specs so you can see what I have so I don't have to type it all out again. It happened with the tune, so I removed it and installed the factory tune and it still happened. So I contacted 5* to see if I can get a 93 tow tune. I had the radiator fluid flushed yesterday just to do it since the truck has 56,000 miles on it now. Please ask as many questions as you want since I'm not sure what to include in this first thread.
Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I do not tow but I do have a lot of mountains in my area. I switched out my thermostat to the Stant Superstat and from the research @DNAdan did we saw it flows more and from my monitoring it keeps temps a lot more consistent.

When you are driving are you locking out 6th gear? or you are you letting boost do the work? I would assume locking out 6th gear would help drive the waterpump and keep rpms up so you are using less boost to try to help with overheating.

Also, did you happen to use tow/haul mode?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the way up I did not use Tow/haul mode. To be honest since I hadn't towed with this truck before, I forgot about that button. After the first overheat, I did end up using the button but it still happened.
These where the basics when it happened:
Average speed 70, Intercooler temp 86, engine temp 225, Rpm's 2100-2300, truck kept it in 5th gear, not me. Average continuous boost was around 5-7. Also I did not use the manual gear selector.
I don't remember the trans temp exactly but it never showed it getting hot.
Just standard driving on flat roads, and then all of a sudden engine temp would spike and limp mode the truck.
I'd pull over or pull off an exit and let it sit for a few then it would be fine for about 10 min before it did it again.
I will say the very first time it did it that day the temp gauge spiked and as soon as I pulled over it dropped in a half second to normal temp. Almost like the gauge got stuck. That one was weird.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The gauges are not true real-time temperature gauges. They only move a predetermined amount once you hit a certain temperature. It's an "idiot" light at best. IMO you were "lugging" the motor in too low of a gear for whatever you were pulling. This keeps the engine in BOOST and those turbos spike the heat so fast you barely have any time to back off.

If I am pulling anything, the minute I get around 2500 RPM, I downshift manually. This could be something with your tune not being a "tow" tune, but mine is stock and it tries to stay in the low gears for as long as it can. I still have to manually bump it down. This is with a 3.73 rear, I would expect you definitely should drop down if you have a 3.31 rear.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Lots and lots on this forum concerning the issue. But the common tactic of using rpms over boost is almost unanimous.

Doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other things you can do to the truck to better equip it for towing, but when you are already out on the road you have to work with what you got.

Treat that transmission like a manual, in respect to what gear you are cruising in. Your obvious strategy is to reduce the Turbo burden if possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, I hate the dummy gauges. Luckily I had my sct4 tuner with me so I was able to monitor all the temps with it.
I was towing an empty 7x14 cargo trailer with a flat nose with nothing inside when it happened.

·
Registered
701 Posts
How much does that big old bumper and light block the intercooler and radiator? Your big heavy tires and 3.31 gears aren't hdlping things either. Get the revs up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bumper is heavy, tires too. Intercooler is extremly light. I was trying to keep the revs around the 2000 range because my gas mileage was showing I was only getting 8 mpg. I wonder if going with a bigger gear set would help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got what you just asked, the lights block it about 10-15% i'd guess. the bumper none, due to it being open at the bottom and middle. And the cooler and radiator sits higher than the bumper also.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The bumper is heavy, tires too. Intercooler is extremly light. I was trying to keep the revs around the 2000 range because my gas mileage was showing I was only getting 8 mpg. I wonder if going with a bigger gear set would help.
Don't believe the gas gauge mine is always off lol. In this case a higher RPM would probably help more than that much boost. Higher RPM can do more for MPG than being in boost. At least from what I have seen.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Revs at 2000? That would definitely spool those turbos, right?

Gas mileage is the price you pay for towing.
Overheating that expensive motor can co$t far more than a few mpgs.

I'm not grilling you. :)
Just pointing out what I do when towing.
Lock out the gears that just beg for more heat production. Let that little 3.5 sing some. It actually does a great job towing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
I'm not saying that this may be the culprit, but I really can't imagine that your bumper and grill are helping your truck breathe and cool the most efficiently. The air flow restrictions those could create is akin to a snorkeler trying to breath through a drinking straw....it can be done, but not without a LOT of work and exhaustion. ;)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Oh and welcome to the smokin' hot club. There's more than a few of us on here with a hot tow truck. The motor is completely capable, it just generates enough heat to melt itself quickly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turbos were definitely screaming when I was going 70 mph. yet it was in 5th gear. truck did that though. What does everyone mean when they say "locking out a Gear". I've seen that statement a lot

·
Registered
330 Posts
As in manually shifting to a lower gear to keep the engine out of boost as that is almost certainly part of the problem for you form what i have read

·
Super Modistrator
2,092 Posts
I really have no idea but I’d hazard a guess that the bumper in your picture is not helping the air flow through the radiator. I know the the radiator is higher than the bumper but I suspect it would still disrupt your air flow. I think @Elmore328 and @Mulyhuntr have pretty much hit on the combinations of mods that could be causing this issue.

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Turbos were definitely screaming when I was going 70 mph. yet it was in 5th gear. truck did that though. What does everyone mean when they say "locking out a Gear". I've seen that statement a lot
As in manually shifting to a lower gear to keep the engine out of boost as that is almost certainly part of the problem for you form what i have read
To elaborate on Paulie's statement, you should notice the +/- button on your gear selector lever. If you press the + button you should notice that the gears (1-6) on the dash read-out have disappeared. Now then, when in drive, if you press the - you should see the 6 disappear. Press it again and the 5 will disappear, and so on. This is how you "lock out gears". To activate the gears again, press the + button until all are visible on the cluster. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
First, I would check the rad to make sure the fins are straight and clean. It doesn’t take much to plug it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahh, ok, got it. Basically using manual shifting. I'm going to look into changing the lighting grill and or adding an external fan in front of the intercooler. A tech from Stage3motorsports recommended the universal transmission/fan upgrade. Might try that too.
I'm also going to try the shifting method.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts