F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, for those following along I now have a mostly running and driving 2011 F150 with a 2014 engine. Here are the following issues that I have after just getting it going:
  • Engine will not start with the 2014 PCM that I am told I must use do to fuel curves and other reasons. With the 2014 PCM I get error saying starting system failure on the display and the engine will not crank. I am assuming this is a security or compatibility issue from an in cab 2011 computer to the 2014 PCM. Again I have an entire 2014 truck, can I just keep moving more electronics onto the 2011 to make this issue go away? Where in the truck are other computers that I should move over?
  • With the 2014 intercooler comes one new sensor but I have no where to plug it in. Do I need to rewire something? Also, possibly related, the 2011 Air box sensor is different than the 2014 so I used the 2011 air box. Do I need to rewire something with that as well?
Other than that it is running ok. Anyone with some knowledge on this subject it will be great to hear from you.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK I fixed my first issue. My key immobilizer was the issue. I simply swapped my 2011 metal key part into the FOB of the 2014 truck and now it starts!! Now for the other issues:

1) As for the intercooler "sensor", the "sensor" is the blow off valve. Since my 2011 did not use electronically controlled BOVs (to my knowledge) there is no where to plug this into. Does anyone know how I get these BOV wires into my PCM?
2) With the 2014 PCM I am getting multiple ABS/Traction control / brake warnings on the info screen. Is there another computer that I need to swap over?
3) I only have a few engine codes now, first one is intake air temperature sensor. I assume this is due to the different sensor on the air box.
4) Turbo charger air pressure sensors code. Is this the wires from the BOV, or did I miss some connectors somewhere?

As usual looking forward to hearing from someone who has done this swap or knows more about these issues. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The BOV on the 2011 is mechanical located ON the turbo itself. The 2014 uses an electronically controlled BOV on the intercooler. If you're using the 2011 PCM, I doubt you can simply add those to the box because there will be no logic to control the valve. You will have to switch over to a mechanical BOV either on the turbos or on the charge pipe. Are you using the 2014 turbos or the 2011 turbos?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not sure about the sensors and issues above, but as far as the transfer case plug, I would assume it’s because of the 4wd auto capability of the lariat. The transfer case may be different with the auto clutches in there if the 2011 truck didn’t have 4A.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I don't have any answers to your questions, but I want you to know I'm already impressed with your tenacity.

You've definitely gone the route that is too intimidating to most. I think you are moving the bar for some in the future

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not sure about the sensors and issues above, but as far as the transfer case plug, I would assume it’s because of the 4wd auto capability of the lariat. The transfer case may be different with the auto clutches in there if the 2011 truck didn’t have 4A.
Ah makes sense, I bet you are right, thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The BOV on the 2011 is mechanical located ON the turbo itself. The 2014 uses an electronically controlled BOV on the intercooler. If you're using the 2011 PCM, I doubt you can simply add those to the box because there will be no logic to control the valve. You will have to switch over to a mechanical BOV either on the turbos or on the charge pipe. Are you using the 2014 turbos or the 2011 turbos?
I am using 2014 turbos, 2014 intercooler, 2014 plumbing and 2014 ECU and PCM. So I would like to get the signal into the PCM, but the 2011 wire harness does not have the plug (obviously). So looking for info on where to tap the 2 wires into.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don't have any answers to your questions, but I want you to know I'm already impressed with your tenacity.

You've definitely gone the route that is too intimidating to most. I think you are moving the bar for some in the future

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comment!! I do plan on making a new thread to better outline exactly what needs to happen for anyone else who wants to do this in the future.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ah I see. My shop wiring diagrams are for 11/12, so I can't be any help there. I assume you would need a schematic for the pcm. Why didn't you use the wiring harness for the 2014? Sorry if this has been covered already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I did use the 2014 engine harness. But I did not swap over the 2014 cab harness. That would be an option for sure and would fix the problems, but that’s a big job. That will be a last resort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No but my understanding is that there is a difference in one of the heads. I think it has something to do with the vacuum pump, but not 100% sure if that's it or something else. I just put a Ford factory reman motor in my 11 but used 13/14 turbos. Also there is a difference in one of the sensors in a intake tube in the 11/12, compared to the 13/14.
They have different maf sensor learned that the hard way when i bought an intake for my 11 of the streets ended up being for 2012-2014

21 - 33 of 33 Posts