F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck started rattling at start up. At first it was every once in a while and recently it started happening more frequently. Before taking to the internet, I checked for any OBDII codes and the scanner came back with a P0113 Code which is a cylinder 1 misfire. I changed out all of the plugs and the code was cleared. When I started the truck up after the replacement (it was a cold start, had it sitting in the driveway for 2 days) it rattled. I let the truck sit again overnight and haven't heard any rattling since. Its been 3 days now with no rattle and everything feels like its running smooth.

Even though I haven't heard a rattle in the past few days, I decided to do some research on the issue and I've come across a good bit of information about cam phaser problems with the ecoboost engines and how they cause a rattling sound like the one I've been hearing.

Now that the backstory is out of the way, my questions are as follows:
  1. Could a cylinder misfire cause or contribute to a cam phaser issue?
  2. Is there any correlation between the misfire and the rattling sound?
    1. If there isn't any correlation between the two, have I just been lucky over the last 3 days with no rattle?
  3. How should I go about checking this out to make sure that the issue has been resolved and I don't have any issues down the road? I know a mechanic/dealer is an option but I'd like to gather as much information as possible before going that route.

Vehicle:
2014 Ford F-150 FX2 Sport
V6 3.5L Ecoboost Engine
Mileage 116k
Warranty 5 years/125k miles - Expired

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
It's a 2014. So it's a little more complicated and the possibilities are expanded.
That's a loooooong timing chain with a lot of links. So the stretch is amplified.
It's not probably an emergency, but if you intend to keep it and try to get another 100k miles out of it, then you should probably plan to invest a "timing job" into the truck. Round number $3000 by a pro that knows what he is doing.
Emphasis on knows what he is doing.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
Welcome to the 1st gen 3.5 Ecoboost !

Reactions: Nisco
1 - 4 of 4 Posts