F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
286 Posts
There's performance vehicles that increase the co$t of the vehicle substantially in pursuit of removing grams from components involved.
Carbon Fiber or Magnesium wheels. Driveshafts and half shafts. Calipers and rotors. Titanium lug nuts.

Makes a huge difference in both handling and reduced drivetrain power loss.

Porsche has always been dedicated to offering the whole gamut of such options for their sports cars.
Keep in mind that the way MPT has the Dyno set up (or did at least), allowed for VERY short pulls. This can often give happier numbers.

The reality is that the number is only a rough guide, they all read a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you say shorter pulls, do you mean they start at a higher rpm say 4 k rpm instead of 2.5k rpm?

·
Registered
286 Posts
There's performance vehicles that increase the co$t of the vehicle substantially in pursuit of removing grams from components involved.
Carbon Fiber or Magnesium wheels. Driveshafts and half shafts. Calipers and rotors. Titanium lug nuts.

Makes a huge difference in both handling and reduced drivetrain power loss.

Porsche has always been dedicated to offering the whole gamut of such options for their sports cars.

most definitely.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
when you say shorter pulls, do you mean they start at a higher rpm say 4 k rpm instead of 2.5k rpm?
Basically he is doing pulls with the Dyno having very little load. So it sweeps through the RPM range, but does it pretty quick so that the truck doesn’t really heat soak and start to pull timing. You don’t go from 40mph to 135mph in 2 or 3 seconds on the street, so it’s a bit of a “optimistic” way to get Dyno numbers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Basically he is doing pulls with the Dyno having very little load. So it sweeps through the RPM range, but does it pretty quick so that the truck doesn’t really heat soak and start to pull timing. You don’t go from 40mph to 135mph in 2 or 3 seconds on the street, so it’s a bit of a “optimistic” way to get Dyno numbers.

ah, now i unstand what ya meant.

sounds like it is more so to not put as much stain on his customers vehicles and to give a few extra ponies to the dyno graph. ?

but, isnt load one of the main components to the ecoboost strategies?

my truck isnt making any real power until my load fraction is over 2. ( between 2-2.6 )

if you are tuning agaisnt the run you did on the dyno with less load, then go out on the street where you have the natural load wouldn't it still end up making more power with the increased load? ( within reason )

( Dynos are one area I lack a lot of knowledge in, so forgive any ignorance that may dribble of my texting thumbs.)

I know they cap the load in the tune other wise it could run away building power if you managed to get outside of the specific load parameters, ( like in towing, or hill climbing)

just learning,
dont shot the student!

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Oh my - I haven’t heard or read anything that talked about sprung and unsprung weight in ages. Back in the day, one of the very popular car magazines (Motor Teend, maybe?) used those terms way too frequently; maybe people got tired of it?
I think its just more of a car thing than a truck thing. Truck wheels and tires just weight an obnoxious amount no matter what.

Subaru used to invert the struts and ran BBS wheels on their WRX Sti only for unsprung weight. Not sure if the struts are still inverted but the wheels are still BBS.

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
ah, now i unstand what ya meant.

sounds like it is more so to not put as much stain on his customers vehicles and to give a few extra ponies to the dyno graph. ?

but, isnt load one of the main components to the ecoboost strategies?

my truck isnt making any real power until my load fraction is over 2. ( between 2-2.6 )

if you are tuning agaisnt the run you did on the dyno with less load, then go out on the street where you have the natural load wouldn't it still end up making more power with the increased load? ( within reason )

( Dynos are one area I lack a lot of knowledge in, so forgive any ignorance that may dribble of my texting thumbs.)

I know they cap the load in the tune other wise it could run away building power if you managed to get outside of the specific load parameters, ( like in towing, or hill climbing)

just learning,
dont shot the student!
Load in the Ecoboost PCM is air load. The amount of air mass the engine is consuming.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am 90% sure thats a 2018+. Both the stock and tuned numbers scream 2018.
the graph states 2014,
so i would go with optimistic.

although ive seen 94, and e30 stock turbo graphs on a gen one be similar,
you can tell its a stock turbo how the power drops off on the hp graph, the big turbos build power out to 6k and past.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Load in the Ecoboost PCM is air load. The amount of air mass the engine is consuming.

did not know that.

ill gave to read up on that when i have a chance ,
thanks.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
the graph states 2014,
so i would go with optimistic.

although ive seen 94, and e30 stock turbo graphs on a gen one be similar,
you can tell its a stock turbo how the power drops off on the hp graph, the big turbos build power out to 6k and past.
I do see it says 2014 on it. I just know that I have not personally seen a first gen truck with stock turbos making much more than 400 rwhp. Even full bolt on trucks.

But the stock 348 hp is also very high. If the only reason was good fuel I don't think we would see that show up in the stock tune because the timing would be limited before you got much past 91 octane. at least in my experience on my stock 2014 tune it was. The cylinder pressure limits would have kicked in.

Regardless, I be if the OP throws his truck on the dyno he will be sorely disappointed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do see it says 2014 on it. I just know that I have not personally seen a first gen truck with stock turbos making much more than 400 rwhp. Even full bolt on trucks.

But the stock 348 hp is also very high. If the only reason was good fuel I don't think we would see that show up in the stock tune because the timing would be limited before you got much past 91 octane. at least in my experience on my stock 2014 tune it was. The cylinder pressure limits would have kicked in.

Regardless, I be if the OP throws his truck on the dyno he will be sorely disappointed.
Just gotta lower the expectations and not believe those numbers to not be disappointed. I have the 93prx tune that saw a few iterations. It's crazy how much more the truck pulls even in a 3rd gear roll on the highway. You can hear the tires starting to let loose on a launch in 4wd. A kid in an older Audi S4 was really surprised on a 0-40 pull from a stoplight. Do I expect mine to be anywhere near those numbers in their graph though? Nope.

·
Moderstrator
4,514 Posts
To me, regardless of what someone can get a dyno to report, an F150 in the real world, that you are sitting behind the wheel while it puts 400hp to the contact patch?
That truck is scootin!
I'm a believer of this too. If I had been pulling a number out of my hat I'd have said 450 HP but I think we're pretty much of the same mindset.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts