F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 F150 EB. Got home from cabin last night. Almost all the way home and stopped at stop sign. Truck lurched forward when accelerating. Then revved up and went nowhere. Got it home and barely made it up the driveway and shut it off. "Wrench" light came on right then. Got out of the truck and fluid everywhere on the ground underneath intercooler. Half of the intercooler was wet and dripping. Looks like tranny fluid to me. Not sure where it's coming from yet, as it's been pouring out since last night. Any thoughts?? Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe a hole in the transmission cooler / radiator?

Maybe a cracked or broken transmission cooling line?

Take a pic of where it's leaking from so we can help diagnose.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, it's been pouring, so making any definitive location is small. I looked and my coolant does not even show in the reservoir? Sorry I don't have a pic, but basically the entire bottom half of the intercooler was wet. I guess it could be coolant and not tranny fluid. Damn rain. But, if it is coolant, would that cause the tranny to lurch/whine/rev?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
pull the rubber piece where you access the oil filter, you may need a trim piece tool for it.

Check the lines that are coming from the cooler, see if any busted. Do not drive obviosy or start it. Hopefully no damage done to your trans. If a line broke, it will continue to pump the fluid and instead of returning to pan, it is just dumping out, doesnt sound like you drove vry far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pull the rubber piece where you access the oil filter, you may need a trim piece tool for it.

Check the lines that are coming from the cooler, see if any busted. Do not drive obviosy or start it. Hopefully no damage done to your trans. If a line broke, it will continue to pump the fluid and instead of returning to pan, it is just dumping out, doesnt sound like you drove vry far.
I did not drive very far at all after noticing the issue. Had no problems at all on the way home for 125 miles and I am glad it happened so close to home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tranny fluid will (should) be red. Coolant will be pink, green, or orange depending on what brand is in it.

Coolant smells kind of sweet and watery. Tranny fluid smells like a petroleum product and might have a slight burnt smell to it.

There is no transmission fluid reservoir. The system is sealed.

The Tranny cooler is a little radiator-looking thing about 5" x 24" with one 1/2" hose coming out of the top driver side and another 1/2" hose coming out of the bottom passenger side. It's positioned right in front of the main engine radiator and above the turbo air to aic cooler (most people here call it a CAC)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny fluid will (should) be red. Coolant will be pink, green, or orange depending on what brand is in it.

Coolant smells kind of sweet and watery. Tranny fluid smells like a petroleum product and might have a slight burnt smell to it.

The Tranny cooler is a little radiator-looking thing about 5" x 24" with one 1/2" hose coming out of the top driver side and another 1/2" hose coming out of the bottom passenger side. It's positioned right in front of the main engine radiator and above the turbo air to aic cooler (most people here call it a CAC)

I was speaking about the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

As I mentioned, it's been absolutely pouring, so I haven't been able to really get a good look. All the fluid on the ground washed a way, naturally. UGH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Engine coolant should definitely show in the reservoir...might throw some water in there and see if it leaks out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The whole engine would have overheated to get tranny fluid hot enough to fail like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't think so. The whole engine would have overheated to get tranny fluid hot enough to fail like that.

Where it was dumping on the driveway, the rain water was beading up. It smells more oily to me, not coolant like.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The internet cannot look at the truck, there's no reason to keep speculating. Go open the hood and look around and lay under it, look around. Look at the lines behind the rubber cover as I mentioned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The internet cannot look at the truck, there's no reason to keep speculating. Go open the hood and look around and lay under it, look around. Look at the lines behind the rubber cover as I mentioned.
If it stops raining.....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I think that side is the return line to the trans. As the truck ran, the transmission continued to pump fluid and it just flowed out. So your tranmission is probably empty right now.

That seems like an odd thing to break. I guess Ford could put a new crimp connector /line on it or a trans shop put a hydraulic fitting?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely don't drive it... Don't start it. You'll pump every drop out through that line and the tranny will pump itself dry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that side is the return line to the trans. As the truck ran, the transmission continued to pump fluid and it just flowed out. So your tranmission is probably empty right now.

That seems like an odd thing to break. I guess Ford could put a new crimp connector /line on it or a trans shop put a hydraulic fitting?
Yeah, it was flowing out pretty good when I got it in the driveway. Yes, the return line. I'm guessing the transmission is completely empty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts