F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along some info in case anyone else is having electronic TB issues with their truck.

Symptoms of failure in my case:

About a week ago the truck began completely losing throttle control. While trying to accelerate onto the highway or traveling at Highway speeds up to 70mph truck would shut off with complete loss of throttle response, a blue wrench icon would appear and I would have to try and coast to the shoulder safely without causing an accident. At a complete stop the truck would continue to not have throttle control, to regain throttle control I would have to restart the truck. The truck would then drive for a short period of time and lose throttle again several miles down the road. This problem proved to be a very serious safety issue while trying to make turns across lanes of traffic not knowing if the truck would lose power and throttle control in the path of an oncoming vehicle. This issue proved to be equally dangerous while suddenly slowing from highway speeds in heavy traffic with no throttle control and complete loss of power.

The truck was delivered to the local dealership late last week.

The dealership determined the cause of failure to be the electronic throttle body, the electronic controller had failed inside the throttle body and the unit would need to be replaced. I was quoted $667 and told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. I then called ford customer satisfaction department and started a case with them. I was contacted this afternoon and was informed by the dealer that I would be partially covered and would need to pay an out of pocket expense of $250. Needing the truck back I agreed to pay the $250 out of pocket expense while continuing to make and attempt to regain my out of pocket a later date. Seems they pick and chose how much to cover under the "Customer Satisfaction Program" I can tell you that this customer isn't satisfied having these problems with his truck and still having to pay out of pocket for a known issue. :mad:

Truck: 2014 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Milage at time of incident: 48,800

Details of existing issues with other ford electronic throttle body failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...imp-home.shtml

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 2012 and I just replaced my throttle body myself. Since about 45k and a really bad misfire incident(3rd or 4th one in the last month at the time), and I noticed that I was having to put in different levels of throttle to start going from a stop. Sometimes it wasn't much and it took off the line and other times I was 50% into the throttle just to barely get moving. Im at 60k miles right now and have noticed in the last 300 miles since I installed the new throttle body, I have noticed a little difference.

Before I was having to be at or past 35% throttle to get going at a stop light. Just to get the truck to downshift, typically in 4th gear, I had to be 50% or more on the throttle. Watching my boost gauge, I noticed that boost would run up to 5 or 10 psi then drop 2-4psi immediately. Since the replacement, Ive noticed that boost will build and I can hold it at a certain psi without the psi drop. I've also noticed that I'm not having to be in the throttle as much to get the truck going as before, but only by about 10%. It didn't fix all my issues, but it did help a little.

The next thing Im going to replace to see if it makes an improvement is the pedal travel sensor. You end up buying the entire pedal assembly, but its only about $100 on Tasca. The throttle body and new gasket shipped was $120. I am going to replace the sensors in the intake manifold and see if they help with the throttle and drivability of the truck.

On a side note, I do know that I have shifter solenoid issues too and I think thats caused other issues in the transmission which has really hurt the drivability further.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The Trailblazers had electronic throttle body issues as well. I'm sure glad that ETB solved all those nasty problems we had with cable-driven TBs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
same here with etb. ford will not give me extended warranty because my 2014 3.5 truck vin number is not listed on their recall. they recalled the Delphi Gen 6 throttle body and mine is some other one that ford put on. original equipment from ford. i bought the truck new from Sunland ford in victorville, cal. very pissed off. 64,000 miles. can't trust it to go on vacation to haul small 14' travel trailer. $669.00 to have the etb replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts