F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm confused. I just bought a 2014 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 and need a winch. But everything I read seems to be saying that I can only do it if I buy and install a Full Race Kit. I don't want a concealed winch. I just want to add a grille guard and winch, which will position the winch out from the front of the truck. This seems to me wouldn't block the air flow to the intercooler that much. Can I do it or will it block the air flow too much?

I apperciate any input on this.

Thanks

I have yet to see a winch mount that does not dramatically cover the bumper opening (the IC inlet).
Can you block it off? Sure! Are you going to be towing / full load often? It likely wouldn't be TOO much of an issue.

But you will be adding insult to injury on a system that is largely viewed as under-engineered from Ford.

I can’t believe this thread didn’t generate more hits. I’m having the same trouble. Looks like adding an winch to a EB is a bigger project than I thought it would be.

Hoping for more intel. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As discussed before and I will reiterate again, for the 2009-2014 body styled EBs, the ONLY winch bumper that will NOT block the OEM CAC is made by Hammerhead. I have researched all bumper manufacturers and Hammerhead is the only company that has DESIGNED a bumper for the EB platform. Their design raises the winch up to leave the OEM CAC opening unrestricted.

https://hammerheadarmor.com/product/ford-f150-eco-boost-with-winch-tray-x-series-2011-2014/

AK4wheeler

The bumper thing has bothered me for a long time on this vehicle. Why is a Tacoma bumper from ARB $800 and a f150 bumper almost $2k?? I get that the market is larger for Tacoma bumpers, but common!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The bumper thing has bothered me for a long time on this vehicle. Why is a Tacoma bumper from ARB $800 and a f150 bumper almost $2k?? I get that the market is larger for Tacoma bumpers, but common!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats almost how much my jeep ARB cost too. IDK.

Probably because everyone who owns a tacoma think there are an overlander and need bumpers and a bed rack with extra fuel canisters bolted on. At least that is how it is around here.

As discussed before and I will reiterate again, for the 2009-2014 body styled EBs, the ONLY winch bumper that will NOT block the OEM CAC is made by Hammerhead. I have researched all bumper manufacturers and Hammerhead is the only company that has DESIGNED a bumper for the EB platform. Their design raises the winch up to leave the OEM CAC opening unrestricted.

https://hammerheadarmor.com/product/ford-f150-eco-boost-with-winch-tray-x-series-2011-2014/

AK4wheeler
That Brush guard is retarded looking and the bumper eats into approach angle pretty good by hanging 2" lower than the tow hooks. If it was so low and had an option not to have that monstrosity of ugly tubing welded all over, it would be a nice option.

That Brush guard is retarded looking and the bumper eats into approach angle pretty good by hanging 2" lower than the tow hooks. If it was so low and had an option not to have that monstrosity of ugly tubing welded all over, it would be a nice option.
It's your opinion on the "retarded looking" part of your statement, but the fact remains that the HammerHead winch bumper is the ONLY bumper that is made to keep an opening for the OEM CAC location. If the Ford Engineers weren't ignorant to design the CAC to hang behind the bumper, we would have more options...but alas, we do not.

And the part of your statement about the bumper hanging 2 inches lower than the stock tow hooks messing the approach angle is false. The stock valance hangs that much lower than the stock tow hooks as well, so no real difference.

BTW...If you would have looked at their site, then you would have seen the other styles of bumpers that "do not have that monstrosity of ugly tubing welded all over it".

https://hammerheadarmor.com/product/ford-f150-eco-boost-with-winch-tray-pre-runner-2011-2014/

AK4wheeler

It's your opinion on the "retarded looking" part of your statement, but the fact remains that the HammerHead winch bumper is the ONLY bumper that is made to keep an opening for the OEM CAC location. If the Ford Engineers weren't ignorant to design the CAC to hang behind the bumper, we would have more options...but alas, we do not.

And the part of your statement about the bumper hanging 2 inches lower than the stock tow hooks messing the approach angle is false. The stock valance hangs that much lower than the stock tow hooks as well, so no real difference.

BTW...If you would have looked at their site, then you would have seen the other styles of bumpers that "do not have that monstrosity of ugly tubing welded all over it".

https://hammerheadarmor.com/product/ford-f150-eco-boost-with-winch-tray-pre-runner-2011-2014/

AK4wheeler
The stock valance takes 10 seconds to remove with a wrench... Poof you l
Now have 3" more approach clearance...

The stock valance takes 10 seconds to remove with a wrench... Poof you l
Now have 3" more approach clearance...
I removed my lower valance when I bought my truck, and low and behold, there is still 2" of plastic below the stock tow hooks that can't be removed without a sawzall. That portion of the valance that can't be removed is there to cover the open ends of the frame horn. The HammerHead bumper is made to do the same...so same approach angle as the stock bumper.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Transport

AK4wheeler

I removed my lower valance when I bought my truck, and low and behold, there is still 2" of plastic below the stock tow hooks that can't be removed without a sawzall. That portion of the valance that can't be removed is there to cover the open ends of the frame horn. The HammerHead bumper is made to do the same...so same approach angle as the stock bumper.
View attachment 158096
AK4wheeler
Okay you win!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.