F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1440 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
612 Posts
Tell me about it LOL
I back my camper in and the saucer magnolia limbs mar my B-pillars and I get sick 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,422
Yea, you weren't here while he was building.
It's perhaps the most "Sorted" Gen1 Ecoboost around. And I don't mean just under the hood.

Nor is this a glorified grocery fetcher dressed like an off road toy. How he keeps it dentless baffles me. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words Bruce!

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,425
I went out to do some data logging and left dragy running.

I kinda wish I hadn’t lifted on the first run, as it would have been in the 13.5x’s. All well.

Not bad for the temps and DA (DA is wrong on Dragy, actual DA was 5760ft).

Second run was a horrible launch with too much spinning/hop and I had to pull back a touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,426
The truck finally got a mini paint detail.

-Washed with waterless wash (optimum no-rinse)
-Clayed with regular mothers clay and ONR at QD ratio
-Light polish with M205 on a Rupes yellow pad
-Finished with Mequiars “Fast Finish” coating until Incan decide what coating I want to use.

The truck had Opti-Coat 2.0 on it from last fall and it held up pretty good.

This is before hitting the truck with M205.

I’m hoping I can get the trim and the glass done tonight.

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
That rarely has stopped you.

I'm pretty sure I've witnessed in this very thread, multiple times, a well gone-over (cleaned) truck immediately taken out for a good dose of insect genocide.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,433
Ok, So here were my findings. I think I really put the truck through it's paces on this trip, ha. Trailer and cargo had me way over the stock rated capacity.
Trip was from Calgary Alberta to Nelson BC.
Distance round trip = 758 Miles
Starting Elevation = 3556ft
Lowest elevation (also destination) = 1127ft
Highest elevation = 6879ft
Average daytime temp = High 70's
View attachment 167272

Truck door sticker stats
GVW = 7200lbs
Payload = 1263lbs
Rear Gear = 3:55
Tires = 34" LT's (wheel/tire combo 112lbs)

Truck mods (as they pertain to "cooling")
Full Race Rad
Full Race Intercooler
OEM Oil cooler delete
Improved racing remote oil cooler/oil filter
"Suadi" Raptor Trans cooler

Bare truck weights (no driver, full tank, usual crap on board)
Front Axle = 3527lbs
Rear Axle = 2866lbs
Total Weight = 6,393lbs

Truck with trailer, cargo and passengers (fully loaded, lol)
Front Axle = 3660lbs
Rear Axle = 4700lbs
Trailer Axles = 7200lbs
GCVW = 15,560lbs

Net weight gains with trailer, cargo and passengers = 9,176lbs

Overall, I gotta say that I was amazed with how the truck performed and handled the weight. I have hauled around 7k pounds quite a few times, but the trailer was smaller. Zero sway and zero proposing and I was on some pretty windy roads and pretty much could maintain 65mph anywhere other than the 8% grades. I ran it up to 80mph to test out sway and there was pretty much nothing unless I got foolish with the steering wheel and then is came back inline pretty quick.

Flat towing or small hills @65mph - TEMPs
Coolant = 198
Trans = 200
Oil = 209

There is one big pull going up a pass close to Nelson BC. Going there is is basically a 6% grade for 5 miles and then right into a 8% grade for 3 miles. No problem with the 6% grade, but the truck couldn't take 3rd WOT on the 8% grade. Hit reduce power mode about a mile in.

6% Grade temps (stabilized)
Coolant = 226
Trans = 213
Oil = 237

8% Grade temps (before I backed off)
Coolant 253
Trans = 220
Oil = 257

I reduced speed and dropped to 2nd and temps dropped. I finished the climb around 40mph

For the return trip, I switched to a basically stock tune. It has some changes required for the mods (O2's turned off, HPFP, MAP sensor, etc.). The return is worse up the first pass, there is a longer 8% grade and you basically start climbing right at the edge of town, so your speeds are down. It did not hit reduced power, but still got pretty hot. I did hold speed though and never backed out after at least 6 miles of climbing.

6% Grade temps (stabilized)
Coolant = 224
Trans = 209
Oil = 235

8% Grade temps (stabilized)
Coolant = 244
Trans = 243
Oil = 256

So, BK''s tune is still a little too hot for heavy loads and big climbs, but I can't fault it, since I asked for it to be that way, lol. Stock tune produces less boost, but has the trans unlocked more, so the trans temps suffer big time. Only thing I would change, is to think about adding a fan to the aux. oil cooler, it would likely really help that temp. I was pushing the truck pretty hard, so no real complaints on the results, just need to be realistic about what the truck can do.

I may work with BK on a revised tune that is basically stock, but has some of his good shifting in it. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Def overweight on those stats!

The only issue I see is that 243 trans and 244 radiator on stock tune. Yikes.

Why would you need to to change HPFP on stock tune? Stock tune, 2100 psi roughly rail pressure, it would meet that command.

If load is stable, gas it down the hill before hitting the grade to use momentum to carry it up :)

·
Administrator
10,520 Posts

Why would you need to to change HPFP on stock tune? Stock tune, 2100 psi roughly rail pressure, it would meet that command.

If load is stable, gas it down the hill before hitting the grade to use momentum to carry it up :)
I used to have to do that with my old 460 lol. If I hit a steep hill at 70 I could do alright. If somebody got in front of me or something and slowed me down and I only hit it at 55 it was a fight to the top.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,436

The truck really didn't have much trouble gaining speed, it was just more work for the truck in the one case where we started out a climb at lower speed as you are still technically in town.
These pulls are miles long, all momentum is lost pretty quick when you come up on a slow vehicle.

I wanted to make sure the tables were updated for the HPFP, basically as I see better timing at the higher pressures.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Downshift ! That engine can handle high revs.

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
Downshift ! That engine can handle high revs.
He's just doing us all a favor collecting data.
That truck has been a Gen1 testbed in so many ways. Especially for the fellas dealing with altitudes and custom tuning around the various limits. (fueling, boost limits, timing, and now cooling)

That truck is field tested. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
ROCK ON 🤘🏼 LOL

1421 - 1440 of 1440 Posts