F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1614 Posts

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
That clutch kit is great. I had it put in mine last year when the one way clutch grenaded on me. They work so well and hold awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What were you doing when yours failed? I saw you're running a tune that made 600ftlbs at 2500rpm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What were you doing when yours failed? I saw you're running a tune that made 600ftlbs at 2500rpm.
Me and another friend swapped trucks. Pretty sure he staged my truck to high in rpm after i said 2100rpm and then go, it caused some wheel hop leaving higher. It seemed ok afterwards but half way to the local meet spot i raced a porshe and heard a weird faint grinding kind of noise after the pull. I went for coffee and my buddy who is a tech showed up i told him about the noise so we went to take it for a drive and pulled out onto the main street, when it went to shift to 2nd it hesitated then the rear end locked up which brung the truck to a almost dead stop and then it started rolling again in 1’st.
Yeah that tune was 618 wheel torque at 2900rpm i daily drove that tune during the summers never had a issue until he drove it

·
Registered
5,479 Posts

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
blowns truck is making a lot of power, but for the rest of us, we should not have to worry about 6r80 breaking, unless servere wheel hop apparently.

The guy in that video was running a blown 5.0 that was running 9's as he said. It was making way more power thsn we could dream of

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508
blowns truck is making a lot of power, but for the rest of us, we should not have to worry about 6r80 breaking, unless servere wheel hop apparently.

The guy in that video was running a blown 5.0 that was running 9's as he said. It was making way more power thsn we could dream of
Agreed. I think even at higher power levels, if you can keep the wheel hop out of the equation, you’ll be fine on a stock trans.

I peeled into mine tonight. It looks just to be a one-way clutch failure that caused it all for me. I thought I saw a damaged drum, but apparently just from a piece of one of the pawls in the one-way clutch.

So even though I have some burnt clutches, the wheel hop did the trans in.

I think it pretty easy to see which one let go, lol.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
And the one way clutch isn't even a part you can upgrade. So wheel hop is important to control.

WIth it being at the back of the trans in the video, do you think the driveshaft has something to do with it? Sending the vibration from the rear through the driveshaft into the tailshaft of the transmission.

·
Registered
72 Posts
And the one way clutch isn't even a part you can upgrade. So wheel hop is important to control.

WIth it being at the back of the trans in the video, do you think the driveshaft has something to do with it? Sending the vibration from the rear through the driveshaft into the tailshaft of the transmission.
Yeah good chance it’s amplifying the issue at the other end. I personally never got wheel hop in my truck. Only when my friend launched it it hopped.

@Blown F-150 ; do you have track bars?

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Yeah good chance it’s amplifying the issue at the other end. I personally never got wheel hop in my truck. Only when my friend launched it it hopped.

He does, but his driveline angle was off and it still bounced some.

How do you launch it? I always use 4x4 and had the rear locked but next time at the track, I am not going to use the locker. I think that is greatest chance of causing bouncing. I hate locker for multiple reasons. I would much rather have an LSD.

·
Admodistrator
2,557 Posts
Yeah... I’m not with you on the locker being the cause of wheel hop. Having run lockers and spools for years I’ve never found that to be the case while going in a straight line. Now nailing it going around the corner, funny things can happen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
He does, but his driveline angle was off and it still bounced some.

How do you launch it? I always use 4x4 and had the rear locked but next time at the track, I am not going to use the locker. I think that is greatest chance of causing bouncing. I hate locker for multiple reasons. I would much rather have an LSD.
I launch in 4hi and when i stage i hit the gas and when i see 2100-2200rpm i go. I never use the elocker.
This year i put vas trac bars on because i brindles the rear diff bearing last year. This year im also trying some mickey thompson et street r’s and 2wd launches

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,515

Yeah, I’m running Stifflers. I was getting wheel hop at anything above a 1500rpm launch.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
You brindles? What are you saying?

I have had stifflers since very early on. I am also considering getting a sticky tire to use 2wd once I get converter in. At that point, I would use the locker. I want to see what 60ft would be vs 4x4 and it would be less stress on thing, although 4x4 seems to have no issue though, there are very high hp trucks running in 4x4 with no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,517
Yeah... I’m not with you on the locker being the cause of wheel hop. Having run lockers and spools for years I’ve never found that to be the case while going in a straight line. Now nailing it going around the corner, funny things can happen.
It’s harder for me to get any hop when rear is locked.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Yeah, I’m running Stifflers. I was getting wheel hop at anything above a 1500rpm launch.

TO note, you just had these recently, there could have been damage early on.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,519
I launch in 4hi and when i stage i hit the gas and when i see 2100-2200rpm i go. I never use the elocker.
This year i put vas trac bars on because i brindles the rear diff bearing last year. This year im also trying some mickey thompson et street r’s and 2wd launches

I may just be in a different spot with a truck that sits 2.5” higher in the rear and 34” tires. But I have had wheel hop issues for a long time.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Also Blown, what PSI are you running in your off road tires? I think harder tires contribute to it, and also your knobby tires probably are not helping either.

Stock FX tires are 32. We have a lot of weight, i beleive it is around 80lbs, yours are more and mike on 22s is probably high too.

1501 - 1520 of 1614 Posts