F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1961 - 1980 of 1982 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
So they must have done some kinda hybrid in early ‘13, because the turbos are 100% not from a 2011 or 2012. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably like my old 1990 cavalier. Whatever was in the parts bin when they changed stuff in 91 they just used what was left during the switchover
Motor was out of 13/14 for sure

·
Registered
698 Posts
The plan would be to send a set of Turbos to CRP to upgrade to Stage 5’s. It will probably take a while to get everything together, but wanted to start now.

Can you refresh my memory on your current turbo setup? Gen 1 turbine housing and vacuum-actuated wastegates mixed with 18+ bearings/wheels and ported compressor housing?

And the new setup would be all the same except larger CRP turbine(50mm exducer) and compressor(46mm inducer) wheels?

What do you know about the differences between the CRP stage 4, CRP stage 5, and FR-GT turbine wheels? Stage 4 fits stock housing, stage 5 needs turbine housing ported? And I'm brain farting on if the GT's have upgraded m247 wheels or stock turbine and different comp wheel?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,963 ·
Can you refresh my memory on your current turbo setup? Gen 1 turbine housing and vacuum-actuated wastegates mixed with 18+ bearings/wheels and ported compressor housing?

And the new setup would be all the same except larger CRP turbine(50mm exducer) and compressor(46mm inducer) wheels?

What do you know about the differences between the CRP stage 4, CRP stage 5, and FR-GT turbine wheels? Stage 4 fits stock housing, stage 5 needs turbine housing ported? And I'm brain farting on if the GT's have upgraded m247 wheels or stock turbine and different comp wheel?
Yup, Current set up is the Gen1 Turbine Housing, mated to the Gen2 Center Section and Compressor housing.
The new set up is planned to be the exact same but with the larger wheels as you covered.

Stage4 and "GT" and also pretty much every OEM 3.5 turbo, all have the same turbine wheel, but materials vary. Stage 5 is a larger turbine wheel.

I don't remember for certain, but I think the GT's have the same turbine wheel as OEM Gen1 wheels, but a larger and "EFR" design compressor wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,965 ·
Couple of minor “fixes” to the truck.

I’m the spring I lost another center cap on these wheels, what a crap design! Anyway, I ordered a new one and a spare in April and ONE of them finally came last week. So I put a touch of silicone on the backside to help prevent it from ejecting (these things cost $50 a pop) again.

The other item was a dash vent. My boy managed to break it while playing around in the truck. Not a huge deal, just grabbed one for $10 from the wreckers and swapped it out. Some of my parts were in better shape, so I made one good one out of the two assemblies.

·
Moderstrator
3,485 Posts
@Blown F-150 Nothing quite like being a DIYer is there?

I've got to make a minor repair on my 1500 mile Exploder that is a Ford Authorized TSB repair that looks so Mickey Mouse you'll laugh.

That said, the Dealer's Tech will never need to touch my vehicle because we are DIYers. If you want to laugh read this TSB, you can skip to the end as there are pictures. You'll see what I mean by Mickey Mouse.

Mine's a 2021 but the problem persists beyond the dates of this TSB. I promise it will make you smile.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,967 ·
@Blown F-150 Nothing quite like being a DIYer is there?

I've got to make a minor repair on my 1500 mile Exploder that is a Ford Authorized TSB repair that looks so Mickey Mouse you'll laugh.

That said, the Dealer's Tech will never need to touch my vehicle because we are DIYers. If you want to laugh read this TSB, you can skip to the end as there are pictures. You'll see what I mean by Mickey Mouse.

Mine's a 2021 but the problem persists beyond the dates of this TSB. I promise it will make you smile.

Oh my....looks like Farmer John is back at the head of post production engineering! That is a pretty hokey fix. They really love the worm gear clamps, that's a fix for your rattling exhaust flex pipes too, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Good news for me though, I have that problem with mine and can now at least develop a fix for it...

·
Moderstrator
3,485 Posts
Oh my....looks like Farmer John is back at the head of post production engineering! That is a pretty hokey fix. They really love the worm gear clamps, that's a fix for your rattling exhaust flex pipes too, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Good news for me though, I have that problem with mine and can now at least develop a fix for it...
The seat moving is a bit disconcerting, isn't it? Drives me crazy, my wife doesn't even notice it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,969 ·
My wife doesn’t either. I’ll post a pic of “my” solution if I can get it done before the road trip this weekend.

·
Moderstrator
3,485 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you've come up with.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,971 ·
Well, I came up with nothing, lol. Ran outta time to pull the seat, so heather hose and hose clamps for me

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,973 ·
Whats new?
Pretty much nothing, lol. Just got back (litterally 10 minutes ago) from a two week road trip in the ST.

I have a couple small things that I’m working on getting together so I can do bigger turbos when Full Race releases their stock location manifolds for the Gen1’s.

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
RMB motor has now hit 50,000 Km’s and been in the truck for almost 3 years. I can’t wait for parts to come in so I can fix the warped manifold and figure out what I can do for bigger turbos.

Right on dude! Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,978 ·
11.9l/100km . You reset that driving downhill or something?!
Lol, I did reset it when I left the house. I took the pic on the return trip from the dump. It’s actually not bad on gas if I only go 105km/h

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
363 Posts
Lol, I did reset it when I left the house. I took the pic on the return trip from the dump. It’s actually not bad on gas if I only go 105km/h

So jealous! I can’t break 13 at my very best doing 100!! Maybe it’s related to my boost and false knock issues somewhere down the line. Either way that’s awesome for our gen!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Google shows that to be almost 20 miles per gallon. Very nice. Seems about inline with my build as well. We have a lot of hills and ups-and-downs in my area, but generally low elevation.

60mph > 22+ mpg. I've gotten 24 on a few longer stretches
65mph > 20+ mpg
70mph > ~20mpg
75mph > ~18 mpg
80mph > ~16mpg

Overall truck average with stoplights, idling, and spirited driving brings down to the 13 mpg range. Whoops

1961 - 1980 of 1982 Posts