F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been having the P0016 code along with a P0299 underboost code. They will come and go every few days but it seems to happen after rain. no early morning startup rattle. Tonight I was getting on the highway and felt almost no power. I can normally hear the turbos spool all the time but tonight i didnt hear anything. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue? All help is good help!!

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

hope someone that has experienced this can point you in the right direction

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Lately I have been having the P0016 code along with a P0299 underboost code. They will come and go every few days but it seems to happen after rain. no early morning startup rattle. Tonight I was getting on the highway and felt almost no power. I can normally hear the turbos spool all the time but tonight i didnt hear anything. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue? All help is good help!!
P0016 is related to the cam/crank relation being out of sync. Could be timing chain stretch, bad phasers, or bad VVT solenoid.
P0299 means that the turbos are not producing the desired boost. It could be related to P0016, however it mostly happens when there is a boost leak (check your plumbing, including vacuum lines for good connections).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im leaning toward the VVT Solenoid. I assume if the chain is stretched the code would not go away. It went away today truck is running fine now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopefully this thread can be revived. I have seen these same two codes in the last couple weeks on my 2014 3.5 ecoboost. Since the temps have been below 40 F in the morning I have been getting the p0016 code consistently unless I let the truck warm up before I pull out of my driveway. I am assuming this is related to a, sluggish when cold, phaser issue as I have no rattle and never get the code when the engine has had time to warm. To add to it, when I was pulling my camper last week I threw the p0299 code, but not the p0016 code. I assumed they were unrelated and that maybe I have a waste gate issue also, but maybe others have been seeing these together. I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in this truck, but I would really hate to unload it with only 82,000 on it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Hopefully this thread can be revived. I have seen these same two codes in the last couple weeks on my 2014 3.5 ecoboost. Since the temps have been below 40 F in the morning I have been getting the p0016 code consistently unless I let the truck warm up before I pull out of my driveway. I am assuming this is related to a, sluggish when cold, phaser issue as I have no rattle and never get the code when the engine has had time to warm. To add to it, when I was pulling my camper last week I threw the p0299 code, but not the p0016 code. I assumed they were unrelated and that maybe I have a waste gate issue also, but maybe others have been seeing these together. I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in this truck, but I would really hate to unload it with only 82,000 on it. Any thoughts?
Treat it no different than a European engine. They need new timing chains/ gears every 60K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Treat it no different than a European engine. They need new timing chains/ gears every 60K.
I’m not sure that’s exactly the answer. I have an appointment with the dealer to get a diagnosis. Both the dealership and a local shop told me that it’s usually the phasers and the issue can be avoided by moving the oil change schedule up to 5,000 miles. I’ll give an update when I have one. Also, since last time, I’ve been getting the codes more consistently together. It seems I’ll get the p0016 which causes a low power mode, then I’ll get the p0299. Occasionally I’ll only get p0299. I’m thinking the p0299 after p0016 is just the result the low power mode, but when it’s alone it’s from the inability of the phaser to fully advance the timing which causes inadequate boost. We shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I’m not sure that’s exactly the answer. I have an appointment with the dealer to get a diagnosis. Both the dealership and a local shop told me that it’s usually the phasers and the issue can be avoided by moving the oil change schedule up to 5,000 miles. I’ll give an update when I have one. Also, since last time, I’ve been getting the codes more consistently together. It seems I’ll get the p0016 which causes a low power mode, then I’ll get the p0299. Occasionally I’ll only get p0299. I’m thinking the p0299 after p0016 is just the result the low power mode, but when it’s alone it’s from the inability of the phaser to fully advance the timing which causes inadequate boost. We shall see...

My truck has had 5000 mile oil changes its whole life still had the phasers and timing components changed under warranty by 45K miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My truck has had 5000 mile oil changes its whole life still had the phasers and timing components changed under warranty by 45K miles.
What year is your truck? They supposedly made an improvement to the phasers after October 2014. Also, the local shop said they’re having better luck with aftermarket phasers. It kinda blows my mind that ford has been monkeying with phaser technology for around 20 years and they’re still having issues...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts