F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this press release on Autoblog.... This truck certainly won't be a F150 killa :) Now the question is what type of gas mileage will it get towing 9200 pounds.

Ram Announces New EcoDiesel Max Towing Number

2014 Ram 1500 Achieves New Best-in-class Tow Rating for V-6 Gasoline Pickups

- 2014 Ram 1500 with 305 horsepower Pentastar V-6 tows 7,450 lbs., topping all base V-6 engines in the segment

- More robust parking system components inside the exclusive 8-speed transmission allow for greater tow rating

- 3.0-liter EcoDiesel towing capacity rated at 9,200 lbs. - approaching large V-8 capability

- No direct competitor for new Ram 1500 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel with best-in-class fuel economy that will exceed the current title holder, Ram's 3.6-liter V-6 gas engine at 25 MPG

The capability race is far from over. The 2014 Ram 1500 takes top spot in V-6 towing capacity at 7,450 lbs. To reach the best-in-class number, Ram powertrain engineers added a more robust parking gear to the exclusive 8-speed TorqueFlite 8 for a higher capacity rating.

"There was more towing capacity in the V-6 Ram 1500 but we needed to upgrade the transmission to hold the truck and trailer when parked on steep grades," said Mike Cairns - Chief Engineer, Ram Truck. "Now that we're building the transmissions ourselves, the improvements are included in the new assembly. "

Ram also finalized the maximum towing number for the exclusive Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. In a 2WD, two-door, long bed configuration, the new EcoDiesel will tow up to 9,200 lbs. The new diesel engine approaches much larger displacement V-8 towing capability with a small but powerful 3.0-liter V-6 and best-in-class fuel efficiency of better than 25 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I am unimpressed with the "eco diesel" also the name sure ain't original.

SPPD

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really looked very hard at the new Ram 1500 diesel. Here are the real issues, first this engine is made by Fiat and is already in the Jeep and my sources say they are already having issues with it. Second, never ever buy anything the first year it is out. That being said, cudos to Ram for breaking the tradition on diesels in 1500 trucks. This will certainly start a new trend and Ram will have the advantage of being the first and will gather the knowledge to fix the bugs before the other guys even get started. If Ford does this I see them designing their own diesel engine right out of the gate. The problem now is diesel gas is more than regular and gas motors have a much longer life span to rival the diesel than they did in years past. So.....the advantages are really now more about towing power than anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts