F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in the new Ram 1500 Diesel? With diesel fuel costing 20% more then regular fuel, I wonder how popular the truck will become?

For more details, visit our friends @ http://www.ram1500diesel.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the Diesel Emissons Upcharge of $5k + Unless you drive 80k miles a year and keep the truck for 200k+ miles. There is no way you can come out ahead vs. Ecoboost!

Nobody at Ford will say....But I wonder if the Ecoboost is the Power Stroke JR. they talked about for years and decided to make it a gas engine vs. diesel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the new diesel perform. I don't think it will out pull the EcoBoost looking at the EcoDiesel (which i admit that name bothers me lol) power ratings even if they bump it up... MPG should be higher on the Diesel but like mention the mentioned payoff wont be worth it. I believe Fords response will be to bring the new Smaller Diesel that is going in the new full size van into the 2015 F-150 along with the more refined EcoBoost.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only Place the diesel impresses me is the fuel economy when towing. I tow about 20% of the time. It's not worth it. Have you every done an oil change on one? 20-something litres+ urea ++++! no thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 3.0L V6 engine will be made by VM Motori in Italy. This is the same company that made the 4 cylinder Jeep diesels in '05-'06. I have a diesel mechanic friend who worked on some of them, the ones that were worn out in 80,000 miles, to the point that the vehicles were just sent to the junk yard. He described that engine as "junk".

·
Registered
1 Posts
it gets you out of ethanol!
Ford had the opportunity to bring their 3.0liter diesel in the Ranger to try the waters. instead they are offering it in the Transit, which I don't care about.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Was going to buy a diesel until I found the Ecoboost AND changed jobs to a location only 5 miles from home. Also thought about 12-20 quart oil changes, the dreaded diesel fluid and all that other junk. Just wasn't worth it.

Have always liked the thought of producing a diesel/electric truck system similar to a locomotive. For their size and weight they are unbelivably efficient! Would use a small diesel engine driving a high current generator feeding traction motors at each wheel. All wheel drive, no binding issues and a traction control system could be used to reduce current output to low traction wheels.

Did discuss this with a racing buddy at GM (They designed the original system) who all but said they were looking at how to bring the cost of such system down to market friendly levels. A system like that could run anything from our stuff to Class 8 semi trucks and Class A motor homes. Talk about torque!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was going to buy a diesel until I found the Ecoboost AND changed jobs to a location only 5 miles from home. Also thought about 12-20 quart oil changes, the dreaded diesel fluid and all that other junk. Just wasn't worth it.
2014 Ram 1500 diesel takes 8 quarts of oil every 10,000 miles. Diesel exhaust fluid is supposed to last for 10,000 miles also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only Place the diesel impresses me is the fuel economy when towing. I tow about 20% of the time. It's not worth it. Have you every done an oil change on one? 20-something litres+ urea ++++! no thanks.
I've towed with many diesel pickups. The last was a Chevy Duramax which I liked.... but they do not get much better mileage, and diesel costs more per gallon which makes the cost per mile about the same! The Duramax got 22 MPG on the highway when not towing.

·
Registered
565 Posts
with the Eco diesel ram and the cummins titan and the awesome eco boost f-150 it will be interesting to see what chevy does to stay in the 1/2 ton game

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've owned many diesels in Japan, loved them, but diesel there is about $.40 per gallon cheaper than gasoline, the way it's supposed to be.

No diesel here for me. EPA done ruined it. Ecoboost is a great way to go!

·
Registered
873 Posts
EPA + congress. Cut out the special tax on diesel and it would be a viable option again. Funny how gov ruins everything it touches with time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With the Diesel Emissons Upcharge of $5k + Unless you drive 80k miles a year and keep the truck for 200k+ miles. There is no way you can come out ahead vs. Ecoboost!
This mindset assumes the diesel option costs $5k and that the option fully depreciates, which isn't factual. Observing the used market for comparable trucks with and without diesel indicates that the diesel option retains 50% to 100% of it's original cost at resale time. Therefore the net cost of the diesel option is much less than most perceive.

Nobody at Ford will say....But I wonder if the Ecoboost is the Power Stroke JR. they talked about for years and decided to make it a gas engine vs. diesel.
Ford had intended to produce a 4.4 liter diesel for the F150. GM had a 4.5 liter complete as well. The EPA made changes to future year emission regulations. The reality is that after 18 months or so on market GM and Ford both would have had to significantly change the diesel offerings to comply with the latest regulation changes. They both ended up bagging both of their diesel programs at a great cost to them.

Thanks goes to the EPA.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't see the Ram 3.0l having a lot of passing power. I'm questioning the performance compared to the competition? We'll see how much that 8 speed tranny helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
with the Eco diesel ram and the cummins titan and the awesome eco boost f-150 it will be interesting to see what chevy does to stay in the 1/2 ton game
Well I can tell you this. The Titan will be kicking our asses stock vs stock. 300+ HP with 500+ TQ with a 7 speed tranny with better fuel mileage.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
35 Participants
btswein
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing