F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues with the front speakers busting easily. When I bought my 2014 Lariat EB SCrew brand new, the OEM set busted within days of driving off the lot. I'm not one to crank my stereo all the way up, so that wasn't it. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced both of them. Now it sounds like the passenger side speaker is busted again. It sounds like trash with any kind of bass. Are the speakers really that bad? Should I get the dealer to replace them again? How long is the warranty on them?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anyone else have issues with the front speakers busting easily. When I bought my 2014 Lariat EB SCrew brand new, the OEM set busted within days of driving off the lot. I'm not one to crank my stereo all the way up, so that wasn't it. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced both of them. Now it sounds like the passenger side speaker is busted again. It sounds like trash with any kind of bass. Are the speakers really that bad? Should I get the dealer to replace them again? How long is the warranty on them?
Welcome to the forum, comptx. I'd definitely bring the speaker to the attention of your dealer; they'll be in the best position to tell you if a repair can be made under your warranty. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes the stock speakers are trash. I wouldn't go to the dealer to replace them with the same junk, just order some Infinity Kappas like I did

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Srlaubach: Not that I can tell.
Crystal: About 9,800 miles on it.
Abraham: Went on to crutchfield today and the website says none of the speakers fit my non-Sony system.
Milesej05: Because they're supposed to work on a new truck. Once my truck is out of warranty, then I'll try to put some aftermarket speakers in it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...Crystal: About 9,800 miles on it...
Thanks for responding, comptx. If you're interested in returning to the dealer for this, reach out to me via PM with your details; I'll get you escalated to the customer service manager for your region. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your 2014 is like my 2011 lariat it has crappy factory two way 6x8's with tweeters in the speakers, not on the dash or pillars. The remedy is a $120 set of kicker component speakers. These mount in your stock location with the stock wiring, and comes with high pass crossovers and tweeters that allow you to mount tweeters on the dash. You will only need to run a wire from the speaker to the dash on each side.

You can also just buy replacement 6x8 two ways from kicker that will be an improvement, but adding components in the front (tweeters on the dash) will be a huge improvement. I was shocked there were no tweeters in my truck when I bought it, every decent car audio system since 1985 has tweeters on the dash. Due to the frequency they get blocked out if they are down by your feet. Thats why if you are riding in the car solo, the passenger side speaker sounds like its the only one working.

Replacements with video
2004-2014 F150 Kicker KS68 6x8 Door Speaker Upgrade Kit - CrewCab & SuperCab KS68

2 way components for the front two speakers if you want a big upgrade
Kicker 40CSS684 6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
379 Posts
Same problem with my 2014. Within two weeks of buying it the driver side speaker starting going out. I am just going to replace them with aftermarket as I have seen a large number of posts talking about how bad the factory speakers/connectors are.

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
Do you guys blast your music or what? I've had my truck almost 2 years and have NEVER had any issues with the speakers. I listen to music at 1/4 the way up, during summer with the windows down its between 1/4 and 1/2 volume.

Curious if all you guys having issues don't have the stock Sony sub and are putting your bass too far up and that is what is blowing them?

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
The stock speakers are junk. I went to aftermarket Kenwoods with soldered connections and have not had an issue since. Drivers door speaker went out twice. Junk.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you guys blast your music or what? I've had my truck almost 2 years and have NEVER had any issues with the speakers. I listen to music at 1/4 the way up, during summer with the windows down its between 1/4 and 1/2 volume.

Curious if all you guys having issues don't have the stock Sony sub and are putting your bass too far up and that is what is blowing them?
Nope, I can't stand loud music. Mine never gets above level 10 volume. The stock speakers are garbage, the connectors are garbage and the door design allows moisture to get at the speaker.

From my Note 5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How would I know if moisture was getting to the speaker?

I occassionally listen to the music turned up, but its a rarity. The other half has a Chevy Cruze and its sad that it has a nicer sounding stock stereo than my Lariat.

Dell: I have the tweeters in the pillars.
Crystal: You'll have that info momentarily.

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
Nope, I can't stand loud music. Mine never gets above level 10 volume. The stock speakers are garbage, the connectors are garbage and the door design allows moisture to get at the speaker.

From my Note 5
How does the door design allow moisture in? Again, I've never had a problem

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had issues with my front stock Sony speakers (has the upgraded system) they started crackling and rattling twice.

About 6 months ago I replaced them with Polk 2 way 5x7 speakers from Crutchfield on all 4 doors, but even one of those went bad, not abused...just luck of the draw with electronics.

They sound better then the stock for both talk (XM or radio) and music (all sources), but for some reason when I connect my phone through blue tooth the sound (voice) starts to gets distorted and/or jumps from left to right speaker, it didn't do it at first so now I'm wondering if it is a connection problem, which I didn't soldered so might have to go back in and do that!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here is a post on another forum. The inside of my doors have this exact same problem and as always Ford tells me its normal...
How many miles are on your truck these days, blderman? I'll look into options to help you out as well.

Crystal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts