F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gentlemen, labor day weekend now brings 5 years of ownership and subsequently crossing the 50,000 mile marker. Truck had an invoice build of 2.24.2014 and build date of 3.3.2014. After being built, it sat on the lot until the end of August where I picked it up for a pretty significant discount for labor day weekend.

I had did my research before purchasing, I knew by 14 it had all the latest updated parts and long term reliability would be good, including intercooler (although I knew i would be upgrading this), mechanical vacuum pump, timing components and sync system (although the TSB for timing issues technically goes through early 15, even though 14 does have different part numbers vs early builds).

Since day one, I have been an advocate of three things for Ecoboost longevity. Those three are:
1. Good oil and filter - I run exclusively Amsoil 5-30 and Oil filter since 800 miles. As of 8.31.2019, I just had my 10th oil change.
2. Intercooler upgrade (I run wagner) - benefit IAT control, the stock one just does not work
3. Catch can system - as boosted motors have blow by issues and Ecoboost especially does with it routing it back through the system into the engine, leading to oil and water build up in the intercooler, which is now known to suck into the motor at WOT, causing wrench/loss of power due to severe detonation and can even blow up motors due to liquid not compressing, sending a rod through the block

In my five years of ownership, being a true daily driver 365 days a year in all the seasons, including snow, I can report ZERO issues. No wrench ever for misfire, including cruise control in rain, WOT in rain (severe downpours as well), summer humidity, snow etc. I just had my cold side pipe off a few months back putting mechincal BOV on (the stock one never had failed either! but it is a chance the diaphragm does tear so i upgraded) and I stuck a paper towel in there, there was no fluid at all.

I am still on the factory OEM battery and have never disconnected the BMS. If I monitor the voltage, it is always 14 driving. I should say it still holds 12 volt with truck shut off, but I do plan on upgrading it before winter. I do think I can make it through this winter on this battery, but I don't want to risk it. Yes I will leave the BMS hooked up on the new battery.

I have zero timing issues, no noise ever. It purrs like a kitten, everyday. I fully put this towards Amsoil oil and filter.

The only thing I have been to the dealer for, was to have the recall done for o ring leak @ brake booster and the TSB valve body replacement for the noise (aka cavitation) very early on in ownership.

Finally, I have been running a tune since early 2015. I run 87 octane all winter (these trucks are made to run on 87, if not towing, clearly stated in the owners manual - ZERO problems) and a I run a performance 93 tune all late spring/summer/fall. This is DD to work and back, trips and drag racing (in 4x4 none the less).

So what's my point? My "theory" that good oil, intercooler upgrade and catch can system will allow for long term reliability has now proven true, at least for me. 5 years of absolutely zero problems and still purrs like a kitten. I can only hope this keeps up for another 5 years and I don't have the timing chain issue. Only time will tell. Not only that, the next five years will be with a lot more power, with the GT turbos going on in a few weeks. So cheers to the good times.

This truck has treated me well and still remains cool as only short bed Ecoboost and only 2,270 built.

The only thing left now, is maybe Ill get some cold start and WOT pull videos for everyone.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I don’t have any mods and I too have been treated as well as you. But my oil is changed by dealer free every 4000 miles with syn blend due to kind of warranty I have. Sadly that warranty runs out in December. I’ve never had a single part off my motor so I’m not sure how clean my pipes and intercooler are but I’m sure one day I can report back on that. Hopefully not because of a problem though. Always good to here of others with no issues.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to hear. I think the oil is a major factor here. The stock syn blend will shear QUICKLY. With this issue, I believe this causes the phaser and VCT issue, Metal on metal rub. It takes time, then you have the issues with timing.

4000 miles is playing safe, but even with that mileage the oil might not be holding well. You should test one change and see results of it.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
My truck ran exclusively Motocraft Synthetic Blend and Motocraft filters. My cousin threw in FMPP with the sale, so it was almost always changed at the dealer. Motor pulled with 55k on it for the RMB motor. Timing set was still like new, tensioner only had two clicks on it. That's the same as throwing in a new set.

I'm a fan of Aimsoil, but think staying on top of your maintenance and driving the snot out of it once in a while are the best for these engines.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I don't advise that is because the syn blend degrades very quickly, even changing it often. Take that into account these engines DI/boost with fuel dilution and extra heat because of that run the oil down even quicker, A better oil is the better choice. Even if buying off of the shelf, there are way better choices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
WooBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing